DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Summer plan coming into focus -- 3 DVC resorts and a lot more

We will be staying for 2 weeks this summer. Although we will never be board with Disney, we are hoping to go in with an itinerary that will keep things fresh. I have posted asking for some ideas in the past. Here is what we have come up with:

If you have any other ideas, let me know:

1) We are going to rent a car and, if possible, volunteer for a day or two at Give Kids the World, which is a nearby resort for children with life threatening illnesses and their families.

2) We are going to rent a canoe at Fort Wilderness -- at the spot by the bike shack. When I was a kid, I took it through the meandering stream and saw some armadillos. Others have said that they have seen gators.

3) Wishes dessert party

4) We are going to go on a hunt for the best Disney burger. I hope to have 1 just about every day of our 13 day visit, and I will post photos and reviews to the restaurant board.

5) We hope to take one of the "behind the scenes" tours -- whichever is cheapest!

6) We can't wait to check out the new Fantasyland section. It was only open to VIP's when we were there in November.

7) New Test Track!

8) Every year, we try to make a theme to our photo album. For example, one time we only took "jumping" shots. Another time, we created a picture book concept and "staged" the shots that we needed for the story. This year, we are buying Where's Waldo hats for every member of the family and will take shots all over Disney World, often with up to 5 of us spread randomly throughout the scene.

9) If we can get off property, I want to go into Orlando and try that air tunnel where you can fly.

10) We will be staying at the Beach Club for part of our trip (first time there), so we are excited to try their pool.

11) Although I would prefer to do stuff that I can't do at home, we will check out the new bowling alley at Downtown Disney if the opportunity presents itself.

13) We hope to scoot away from the kids one night and try out Jellyrolls piano bar.

14) My sister is going to get her son his first haircut at the Harmony Barber Shop.

15) I'd love to find one of those alligators we keep hearing about on the Disney property.

16) As crazy as it might sound, we have never stepped foot on Tom Sawyer Island. I'd like to change that this year. (I was inspired after reading Love Does by Bob Goff. Bob is a lawyer who considers Tom Sawyer Island to be his office. He meets clients there.)

17) We'd like to stop by the talking trash cans, as well as the phone booth in Epcot where people call from the "outside world." It was ringing last time we walked by, but we were too busy to say hello.

18) We'd like to watch the fireworks from the top of Bay Lake Tower. We are DVC members, but I am not sure if they will let us up there if we are not staying at Bay Lake Towers. I heard that sometimes they let you, other times they do not. If not, we'll watch from the walkway connecting the two hotels.

19) Hopefully the "wilderness explorers" program will be up and running at Animal Kingdom by then. That sounds like an interesting way to navigate the park.

20) I would like to see if I can catch a glimpse of River Country, without getting in trouble of course. I have a lot of great memories from there.

21) Visit the town of Celebration.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
amym2
DIS Veteran

Sounds like fun!

I think I had my first Disney burger on our October trip, at Beaches and Cream. It was pretty good. We're picky about our burgers (if they're well done, they have to be really juicy), so I'd love to hear what you discover. That's one food I always avoid at Disney.

We love Celebration! We always eat at the Celebration Town Tavern because it's the closest thing to eating in Boston. I always get the fried clams with bellies and my sister always gets lobster (they often have it on special). Yum!

I think I read that they extended the allowance for non-BLT DVC members to visit the lounge. We weren't staying at BLT, but we went up there in October. We went early for cocktails before dinner at Cali Grill and had the place to ourselves. Great views!
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
cvjw
DIS Veteran

Wow, that is a long list of things your family hopes to accomplish in 2 weeks. We stay at Disney for 2 weeks each summer, and like to do just the opposite - relax. It is amazing how fast 2 weeks goes by - it always seems like we just arrived when it is time to leave.

If you want to see an alligator, take the small boat from the MK to the Polynesian. There are a couple that live on the small island in the Seven Seas Lagoon. We have also seen an alligator by the tennis courts at Kidani Village.

To get a great view of River Country, rent the small mouse boats from BLT or VWL - you can drive right up and have a peek.

Our family thinks that the best burger on property is at Le Cellier. Unfortunately, I think they have gone to an all day menu, and the burger is no longer available. It was heavenly though!

Enjoy your trip. We have no major plans for our upcoming 2 week trip. A few ADR's and maybe see La Nouba again. Everything else will be what we feel like doing when we wake up.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

We've seen an alligator in the water that surrounds Tom Sawyer Island, just under the walking bridge between BTMRR and Liberty Square. Or over near BCV by the sidewalk over the canal near the parking lot. You will see tons of turtles there as they swim up to anyone who stops on the bridge expecting some bread or something to eat (not a good thing to feed wild animals though).

Try the Wild Africa Trek if you can. We found that to be very interesting and very fun. We'd do it again in the future. The Backstage Safari was also lots of fun and it took you back into the kitchens where they prepare the food for the animals at AK and into the veterinary clinic area.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
Wow, that is a long list of things your family hopes to accomplish in 2 weeks. We stay at Disney for 2 weeks each summer, and like to do just the opposite - relax. It is amazing how fast 2 weeks goes by - it always seems like we just arrived when it is time to leave.
We have done the relaxation thing before, and we have done the "wild and crazy, see everything" thing before. I have learned that we need structure, and part of that structure is scheduling time to relax. So, while we might run over to Animal Kingdom for rope drop, we will make sure that we are poolside with a drink in-hand by noon. Then we'll go off to our next adventure at night.

I think I have undiagnosed ADD -- I can't sit still for a second, and like a lot of people with ADD, I do better with forced structure.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

Aside from BCV, I can't tell where else you are staying. Renting a cabana is a nice way to address the relaxation side of the trip. It also affords some privacy and guarantees shady seating in the summer. If BLT is part of the stay, you could consider renting a Cabana for a day the Contemporary pool. We have never done that, but it sounds really nice! We have rented a cabana at TL once before, and really enjoyed having some private space, as well as a locker, stocked cooler of water and unlimited towels. We plan to do it again this summer.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Yacht Club Feb '15, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
mac_tlc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
11) Although I would prefer to do stuff that I can't do at home, we will check out the new bowling alley at Downtown Disney if the opportunity presents itself.
We visited Splitsville when we weere at WDW last week and it is not like any bowling alley I have seen before. 30 lanes, spread out over 2 floors, 3 or 4 bars, private party areas, decent loking menu ---- worth a visit if only to take a look around.

mac_tlc
'97 OKW (2), VB , '98 OKW(2), VB
'99 WL, OKW(2) , '00 OKW (2), Magic, VB
'01 DLR (DH), VWL, BWV, Magic
’02 OKW, DLR (DH), Magic (11/30 - NOT), CS , '03 OKW, Magic (11/8), VWL,
'04 CS, OKW (2), '05 OKW, '06 SSR, OKW , '07 VWL, OKW (3), VB
'08 DLR (GC), OKW, '09 SSR, BLT,OKW(3)
'10 AKV, BLT (DD wedding) , '11 OKW, SSR, BLT , '12 VGC, FW, BLT, '13 BLT
mac_tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
iluveeyore
DIS Veteran

For the best burgers, the ones I have had are at Olivia's at OKW, House of Blues at DTD, and of course, Beaches and Cream at BCV. I was hoping to try every cupcake on our last trip, but when I found out they weren't available at the Karmel Kuch in Germany at Epcot, I was too sad to pursue them any further . Have fun on your adventures, and good luck fitting it all into your vacation!
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
VLee
DIS Veteran

We will be staying 12 nights this summer. Starting off at Kidani for a couple of nights, then moving to AKL Concierge for 4 or 5 and then ending up at BWV. We are planning to rent a car for part of the stay and head to Universal Studios a couple of days and then Seaworld; however, we will stay put in Boardwalk. I plan to pay a little extra to get the FTOL access at US (figured it would cost no more than staying onsite and keep us from moving)

Kids love the mini golf sites at Disney and it's time for another trip to Hoop Dee Doo (the little one does not remember our last visit there). Planning on archery at the Fort too. We tried the fishing last summer, but way too hot and no luck!

Our PAPs will allow them also to visit the waterparks and DisneyQuest and they love the DJ at Downtown Disney.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post

15) I'd love to find one of those alligators we keep hearing about on the Disney property.
We've spent the past 6 summers at BCV & had never seen a WDW gator until last summer - right in the BCV canal. We were there for a week and saw him almost every day. He was a little guy, about 3 ft. long. He likes to swim right alongside the turtles.

Hope you get to see him this trip!
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
rusafee1183
DVC Owner Since 2012!

I can tell you that the best burger we have ever had on property or ANYWHERE was at Splitsville a few weeks ago

My DH ordered "The Mad King" and it was INCREDIBLE. Definitely give that a try if you can get there
Old 02-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=rutgers1;47261964]17) We'd like to stop by the talking trash cans, as well as the phone booth in Epcot where people call from the "outside world." It was ringing last time we walked by, but we were too busy to say hello.[QUOTE=rutgers1;47261964]

First I wanted to say that you have an awesome list of things you want to accomplish while you are at WDW , I hope you get everything you want to do done.

On our last trip DH and our girls were walking around the UK pavilion while they were waiting on me to get out of one of the shops. While they were waiting they were right next to the phone booths taking pictures, then all of a sudden one of them started to ring. DH decided to answer it and started talking to someone from Maine. DH said that they had just returned home from their WDW trip and caller wanted to call the pay phone to see if anyone answered and to see how our trip was going. He said it was one of the coolest things that had happened on that trip .

PoohsFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: