Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #1
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

What room type at Portofino Bay?

We will be booking 3 rooms at Portofino Bay. 2 for my family, 1 for my parents. What room type is recommended? Is the standard room fine? I am thinking about splurging for club level. Is that worth it? What type of food is included? It seems like it would be easier to get everyone out in the morning if all we have to do is walk down to the lounge for breakfast. I also read on the website that if you do club level you get access to the gym or spa. Is this not included with regular rooms?

Also, how is the size of this resort? Sometimes we walk and walk to get to our rooms at Disney hotels! Is there a specific area of the resort we should request?

Thanks for any and all help!!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

The only problem with club level breakfast is that if you are going to do early admission, you will miss the breakfast.

With three rooms, that is probably $300/night extra you will be spending for possibly getting breakfast and then getting some free drinks and a light dinner if you happen to be back at the hotel during that time.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #3
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
The only problem with club level breakfast is that if you are going to do early admission, you will miss the breakfast.

With three rooms, that is probably $300/night extra you will be spending for possibly getting breakfast and then getting some free drinks and a light dinner if you happen to be back at the hotel during that time.
Depending on the time of year they are going they might miss breakfast..Portofino lounge opens at 7am.If early entry is at 8am , its doable..We were down in the lounge right at 7am, ate something and were out at the boat launch or on the walk path 30 mins later..We made it with time to spare ..But if the park is opening at 8am and early entry is 7am then you are right

Last edited by RMulieri; 02-05-2013 at 09:44 AM.
RMulieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Depending on the time of year they are going they might miss breakfast..Portofino lounge opens at 7am.If early entry is at 8am , its doable..We were done in the lounge right at 7am, ate something and were out at the boat launch or on the walk path 30 mins later..We made it with time to spare ..But if the park is opening at 8am and early entry is 7am then you are right
True. OP, when are you going?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
marlaine8
Mouseketeer

I'm really interested in all info on Portofino as well. I'm just getting ready to make a reservation for 2 nights in Sept.
I'm thinking of a Deluxe 2 Queen room. If I request west side room to be by the boat dock, can I request a balcony too?
marlaine8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaine8 View Post
I'm really interested in all info on Portofino as well. I'm just getting ready to make a reservation for 2 nights in Sept.
I'm thinking of a Deluxe 2 Queen room. If I request west side room to be by the boat dock, can I request a balcony too?
You can try but remember there are only a couple.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 AM   #7
marlaine8
Mouseketeer

Which phone number do you use to book Portofino? I've got 3 different numbers. I would rather call than book online because I've got a few questions.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
which phone number do you use to book portofino? I've got 3 different numbers. I would rather call than book online because i've got a few questions.
1-888-464-3617
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
marlaine8
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much! This will be our first trip to Universal, and your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Thank you so much! This will be our first trip to Universal, and your help is greatly appreciated!
We are always happy to answer all questions. Keep them coming!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #11
TheAviator
I don't always live dangerously, but when I do, I prefer to do it at Taco Bell

I'm not sure what classification this is, but I would request a balcony room. Only a few have the balconies and for me it was a major advantage, and the rooms were really nice too, not sure if the normal rooms without are not as nice, but you typically have to request it.
TheAviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

We are going in mid April. I will definitely request a balcony room! Are there any other good requests to make?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #13
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Is it worth requesting a balcony on the most basic of rooms - or aren't there any balconies on any of those?!

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by amystevekai≎47521952
Is it worth requesting a balcony on the most basic of rooms - or aren't there any balconies on any of those?!
You can always request, I'm sure there are a few.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
amystevekai&bump
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
You can always request, I'm sure there are a few.
Thanks Damo

NEXT TRIPS: August 2015 - Aulani and Disneyland / Aug 2016 - Portofino/BLT/Jambo

Between Oct 1979 & Dec 2013 - approx 27 trips (including Bay Lake Towers, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo & Kidani, Beach club villas, Grand Floridian Villas, Contemporary Resort, Grand Floridian, Caribbean Beach Resort, Coronado Springs, All Stars Sports, off site hotels (inc Royal Pacific, Portofino, Hard Rock hotel!!) and villas)

PLUS - Disney Cruises x 6, Disney's Vero Beach resort, DLP x 10 visits & Disneyland California x 1 visit - And our 1998 Disney Wedding at the Wedding Pavillion!!
amystevekai&bump is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: