Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #16
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

I just came back from Georgia where my daughter and I literally used 1 bag between the 2 of us for our clothes. I also had a backpack with a few things in it. The way I pack I'm not thinking about bringing more than 1 bag between the two of us.....does that seem pretty light for a 4 day cruise?

I might bring 2 bags but 2 bags seems like a lot for only 4 days of fun.

Will they go over what exactly needs to be declared upon our return??
RGLakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #17
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
I just came back from Georgia where my daughter and I literally used 1 bag between the 2 of us for our clothes. I also had a backpack with a few things in it. The way I pack I'm not thinking about bringing more than 1 bag between the two of us.....does that seem pretty light for a 4 day cruise?

I might bring 2 bags but 2 bags seems like a lot for only 4 days of fun.

Will they go over what exactly needs to be declared upon our return??
It's on the form and then the CD will have a briefing.
Basically you need to total up how much you spent on souveniers that are coming back into the country. They don't care if you drank $2000 at sea as long as it stays out there.
I believe you probably need to declare any cigarettes/cigars over a certain amount and liquor over a certain amount. I don't drink enough to bring any back and DH only brings back his allotment for cigs (1 carton per adult). And no cuban cigars!!! Then the obvious stuff - no firearms, no fresh fruit or open food items, no animals, etc. Fairly straightforward. You provide a dollar number by family or traveling party. On the back they ask you to itemize - "souveniers" fits that bil usuallyl. One cruise we purchased about $800 in DCL artwork. As we carried it off the ship, it was disclosed along with the dollar amount we spent.
My mom purchased jewelry one cruise and disclosed that along with the dollar amount. The customs guy made a joke with my dad.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Princess Denise
Mouseketeer

When we made our reservation we were asked if we wanted to do the per-pay gratuity..... Then we don't have to worry about it at the end of the cruise
Princess Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

I am looking to possibly buy jewelry for my daughter and myself.....hopefully the prices n the Bahamas are good but oddly enough I want to buy a conch shell to bring back....I love them!! Obviously it will not have a creature still in it......are there plenty of places over there to purchase a conch shell?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #20
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLakatos View Post
I am looking to possibly buy jewelry for my daughter and myself.....hopefully the prices n the Bahamas are good but oddly enough I want to buy a conch shell to bring back....I love them!! Obviously it will not have a creature still in it......are there plenty of places over there to purchase a conch shell?
I believe (but please double check) that once the items have been washed/sterilized, etc. they are okay. I know they don't want anything picked up off the beach with possible contaminents. I would just double check the customs page before you leave. I'll try to find the page for you.

found it:
Seashells are generally allowed into the U.S. if they are not taken from endangered or threatened species (CITES protected), and they are completely sanitized from the creatures that inhabited them, and any other agricultural material such as sand, clay, soil, etc. A traveler may bring in a reasonable amount of seashells for personal use as a memento of their trip. Large quantities of seashells being brought into the U.S. for the purposes of using them in crafting, landscaping, or for commercial use are prohibited.

And the weblink: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...r-personal-use

Last edited by Eeyore'sthebest; 02-05-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: updating info
Eeyore'sthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
RGLakatos
Mouseketeer

Thanks....appreciate the help. I wouldn't mind buying the conch shell from a store either....just want a good size one!! I'd like to get jewelry as well....maybe a necklace for my daughter and a men's bracelet for me....I'm assuming they have jewelry for sale on the ship as well as the port in the Bahamas.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #22
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

On the last day I could tell the CM at Guess Services was tiring at his long lineup of mostly people settling accounts and disputing charges.

I went to the front just to sneak him a gift bag full of brand chocolate, he looked inside and grew the biggest genuine smile.

When I saw him before we left, he remembered also that I needed safety pins 2 days prior and told me to wait a minute, he came back and gave me a bag of little sewing kits and celebration buttons/pins for my kids. We laughed at how my fake pirate boots kept falling down and it looked like I was wearing leg warmers.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: