Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
criscoloo
Earning My Ears

Houston Bush Int'l to Galveston

Flying into Houston Bush International Airport on the day of cruise, arriving 9:30'ish on weekday morning. I keep seeing posts about Houston traffic, so I'm wondering if I have enough time to get to Galveston. Also, what is best way for the 5 of us to get from airport to Galveston, without renting a car? Can I book Disney shuttle, even though I did not book air through Disney? Will my checked luggage go straight from plane to ship if I book Disney shuttle, so that I don't have to retrieve my luggage from baggage area? Thanks in advance!
criscoloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
wilkeliza
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscoloo View Post
Flying into Houston Bush International Airport on the day of cruise, arriving 9:30'ish on weekday morning. I keep seeing posts about Houston traffic, so I'm wondering if I have enough time to get to Galveston. Also, what is best way for the 5 of us to get from airport to Galveston, without renting a car? Can I book Disney shuttle, even though I did not book air through Disney? Will my checked luggage go straight from plane to ship if I book Disney shuttle, so that I don't have to retrieve my luggage from baggage area? Thanks in advance!
You can book the shuttle through Disney even though you didn't book through them if Bush is one of the supported airports (unfortunately Hobby is probably their supported airport as it is much closer to Galveston than Busch is).

If Disney doesn't offer transportation a cab would be the only way to get to Galveston with out rents a car because public transportation in Texas is almost non-existent.

Galveston from the Busch area could be the 1ish hour with no traffic and knowing exactly where you are going and following "Texas" law as we called it or it could take up words of 3 hours if Downtown has deadlocked traffic. If you are flying in at 9 and say out of the airport by 10 you shouldn't hit too bad of traffic though since rush hour ends around 9 and doesn't start again until 3 or 4. Hard to say what traffic will be like though for sure. I lived in Houston for 19 years and once you thought you had things figured out things would go hay wire the one day you need to be somewhere on time.
wilkeliza is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
pluto1974
Earning My Ears

As wilkeliza mentioned, you can book the Disney shuttle from IAH to the cruise terminal in Galveston even if you haven't booked flights with them. It's $30/person for one way and it needs to be booked by whomever you booked your cruise through a minimum of 3-4 days before your cruise. There will be a Disney rep outside of the luggage area to direct you to the bus. Make sure you re-pack your luggage so that your liquids (drinks) are now in your day bag instead of your checked luggage. Once your cruise checked luggage gets on the bus, it will show up outside your stateroom door in the afternoon so you don't need to worry about porters etc at the cruise terminal.

If you are arriving at 9am, you should not have any problems getting to the cruise terminal in time for lunch on the boat. At ther terminal, there is a separate line for checking in and for kids club registration. Check the lines out first and maybe split the group up so that you're in both lines. When I was there in Jan, it took 10-20 min to check in but it took 45 min for the kids club line! Have a great cruise!
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
lovetotraveltx
DIS Veteran

I live in the Houston area. Pm me and I can give you a car service that would most probably do it. Great drivers and they help with luggage. Would be cheaper than a bus time your whole family!
lovetotraveltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
fatfish
DIS Veteran

It is about 1-1/2 hours from Bush Intercontinental to Galveston at that time of day. Rush hour is over by then. You will have plenty of time if your flight is on time or has a slight delay. DCL transport does go to IAH (Bush) or there are many private limo/transport companies. Check with the PP who has a recomendation for a limo company. Have a great cruise and welcome to Texas!
March 2009 at SSR Aug 2009 land/sea adventure SSR / DCL

Spring Break 2010 & 2011 at Animal Kingdom Christmas 2011 on the DCL!
2013 birthday cruise on the Disney Magic!

Me dd
fatfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: