Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 05:15 AM   #1276
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post

1. We are going on our 1st DCL May 9-12 and was wondering if even the 3 night cruise has a pirate night? What does this mean? My son love pirates, do I dress him up?

2. Before the cruise will we get an idea of events/things to do on board so we can do some planning of where to go/what to do before we arrive without having to wait until we board for a Navigator or schedule for onboard things to do?
1. Yes, we did a 3-day on the Dream in Nov 2011 and we had a pirate night.

2. I don't recall receiving anything like that prior to the cruise. You can check the DCL web site for suggestions on what to pack, etc. Also, search the forum to see if anyone has posted Navigators from previous cruises. That might give you a good idea of what kind of activities you might find on board.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #1277
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitfive View Post
How are you to know or make that determination if that person is say, in the pool with their child? Taking their kid to the bathroom? Standing in line to get a hamburger, etc? You should never remove someone's personal items. Towels, ok, but personal stuff.....that's another story. If it has been there for a while, alert a CM. I personally wouldn't leave my "personal items" out in public to hold a silly lounger for any length of time. Things get stolen!

Just my opinion....
I concur!!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #1278
COASTIEandMATE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I am still reading (only on page 39!) so sorry if this is already asked.

1. We are going on our 1st DCL May 9-12 and was wondering if even the 3 night cruise has a pirate night? What does this mean? My son love pirates, do I dress him up?

2. Before the cruise will we get an idea of events/things to do on board so we can do some planning of where to go/what to do before we arrive without having to wait until we board for a Navigator or schedule for onboard things to do?

3. With everybody hitting up GS when they board to drop off things like passports, things to sign, getting small USD bills, just how long is this line going to be and will we be wasting a lot of our first bit of time onboard in this line?

Thanks for your help...back to reading!
You might enjoy Passporters Disney Cruise Line 2012. They have 300 pages of info and they even show some Navigators to give you an idea of things offered each day! We keep ours as a great keepsake of our cruise!! ALOHA, Karen and Ron
Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #1279
richmo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am still reading (only on page 39!) so sorry if this is already asked.

3. With everybody hitting up GS when they board to drop off things like passports, things to sign, getting small USD bills, just how long is this line going to be and will we be wasting a lot of our first bit of time onboard in this line?

Thanks for your help...back to reading!
1. I believe all the cruises have a pirate night. Even Alaska (minus fireworks). It takes place after both dining seatings (I think about 10 PM). Many, but not everyone, dresses up in pirates gear....anything from a pirate themed t-shirt to full fledged Jack Sparrows. It takes place on the pool deck if the weather is good; they'll move it inside to the buffet if it isn't (and I think its always inside for Alaska since its cold). They'll be serving more food, even though you're likely stuffed from dinner. Definitely worth your time; personally, I don't bother getting dressed for it, but it is fun. So, yes, dress your son up if he's into it and you have the packing room. Sometimes they'll give you a bandanna at dinner time. I thought they had stopped, but they did give them out on the Alaskan cruise in '11.

2. Old navigators are posted online; I believe some are available on this site. Try to find a recent one for the same length cruise with the same itinerary and you should get a good idea of the goings on.

3. My advice on Guest Services: sometimes its busy, sometimes not. If it is busy, just come back another time. You'll be walking by there several times anyway. Don't waste a lot of your ship time standing in a line.
richmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #1280
Donald & Daisy Duck
I even put ketchup on my tag!

Donald & Daisy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #1281
okstategrads
Earning My Ears

Are frozen drinks without alcohol free on the cruise? What about Shirley Temples?
okstategrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #1282
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstategrads View Post
Are frozen drinks without alcohol free on the cruise? What about Shirley Temples?
Frozen drinks are not free, but you can get a shirley temple at the main dining rooms at no charge.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #1283
AudreyKThompson
Disney Diva

Quote:
No . . . It was a big and unpleasant surprise to me that ANYTHING at the bar has a charge.
I had assumed "there is a charge for drinks from the bar" meant alcohol and that virgin versions would be free. (well, included in cruise fare- certainly NOT free)

NO- ANYTHING at the bar (even stuff that's free elsewhere- soft drinks, smoothies, drinks both "leaded" and "unleaded"-) incurs a charge with automatic 15% gratuity.
AudreyKThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #1284
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Interesting thread!!! I will eventually get through all the pages, lol. Taking a cruise on Dream 9/1 - 9/5.

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. AKL stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #1285
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyKThompson View Post
No . . . It was a big and unpleasant surprise to me that ANYTHING at the bar has a charge.
I had assumed "there is a charge for drinks from the bar" meant alcohol and that virgin versions would be free. (well, included in cruise fare- certainly NOT free)

NO- ANYTHING at the bar (even stuff that's free elsewhere- soft drinks, smoothies, drinks both "leaded" and "unleaded"-) incurs a charge with automatic 15% gratuity.
Yep, always has been. They used to have a soda mug program like at the parks until they put the drink station in. From what I've read, Disney is one of the few that does have such a station and doesn't require a mug program for free soda.

Just an addition note, smoothies at dinner are also extra.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #1286
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My drink of choice in the dining rooms is sprite with grenadine. Which is almost like a Shirley Temple. No cost at all.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #1287
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Just back from our first DCL cruise, and I'm not sure anyone's mentioned the "Farewell" on the last night of the cruise. Ours was at 10pm. Many of the characters come down the stairs into the main atrium area. They are available to take pictures and sign autographs (even some characters from the shows). WAY less of a line than usual for many of them. Most were on deck three (Magic), a few were on deck four. They stay out for about 15 minutes and then say a special good bye from the stairwell. I think the best place to be was on deck three (on the Magic) to see all the action. We were on deck four and had a good view, but missed out on a little bit of the "magic". --Katie
Old 02-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #1288
chudson98
Mouseketeer

Last time we cruised we picked up 10 different flavors of Pringles Potato Chips and dropped them off at the Kid's Club the last night! The CM's were so excited. Apparently they don't get a lot of salty treats.
chudson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #1289
kjduncan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudson98 View Post
Last time we cruised we picked up 10 different flavors of Pringles Potato Chips and dropped them off at the Kid's Club the last night! The CM's were so excited. Apparently they don't get a lot of salty treats.
Love the idea about Pringles!!! I'm writing that one down.
kjduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #1290
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amlee View Post
For those of you that have U.S. passports. You can leave them with Guest Services (you get a receipt that you must have to get it back), and they will have it stamped at each country you visit. On the last night, you go and pick it back up.
This is awesome! I was seriously disappointed that I didn't need my passport when we went on land because it was a lot of money and time to get the passports to not have any 'proof' you visited.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: