Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #2311
blackacex2
Mouseketeer
 
blackacex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99
Another quick update. We head home tomorrow night so I thought I'd pop in and let folks know a few things.

1. Overall the staff has been great. Melissa in Sugarloaf concierge - the best. Just so helpful. The food service folks in concierge also amazing. I haven't seen them say "no" to anyone - even the guy who asked for bacon and waffles this morning (really???). and keep a smile.

2. One bad apple we have dealt with - Janice. Grumpy and unhelpful. Asked her - and this is an exact quote: "on the off chance we can get a late checkout tomorrow, it would be really helpful since I am here with a teenaged daughter." If not until 1, any additional time- even a few minutes - would be really helpful. Then the inquisition: What are you plans tomorrow? Because if you are going to a park and don't get back in time, security will come to your room and remove everything. Whaaaaaaat?????? Needless to say she got us no extra time. Not a HUGE deal but the attitude was.

3. I have blogged in the past about "concierge pigs" and they are out in full force again. I've seen some epic eating episodes and beer gathering as well. Haven't even been in the lounge that much, but when we have, wow. DD was so taken by it she took a picture at the evening cocktail hour.

4. Food in lounge has been okay. Not great. Not as good as I remember from last time here and definitely not better than our Yacht Club concierge stay a year or so ago. Again, that being said it's no biggie because we don't depend on the lounge for our evening meal but those who do......

Not meaning to complain here but my post yesterday had all the positives so I thought i'd balance it out to show that we aren't brainwashed completely (yet). Still a GREAT daddy-daughter trip - really have had so much fun and bonded even better. Just a few things "off" IMO.
Concierge pigs? It's funny at first I was thinking wow that's awful and then I remembered what club level costs and realized people should eat and drink as much as humanly possible and not feel a tinge of guilt!
blackacex2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2312
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackacex2 View Post
Concierge pigs? It's funny at first I was thinking wow that's awful and then I remembered what club level costs and realized people should eat and drink as much as humanly possible and not feel a tinge of guilt!
agree to disagree. The behavior of some folks was something I don't want my children to mimic that's for sure. The person who piled a plate with a dozen cookies and took to their room for example. The person who put at least 8 or 9 beers into a stroller and took outside. Where were they going? maybe the pool? The man who used his hands (not the serving tools and plates) and walked from area to area eating directly from the buffet. I don't care how much it costs. That's just completely awful behavior.
__________________
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2313
cgulls
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99 View Post
agree to disagree. The behavior of some folks was something I don't want my children to mimic that's for sure. The person who piled a plate with a dozen cookies and took to their room for example. The person who put at least 8 or 9 beers into a stroller and took outside. Where were they going? maybe the pool? The man who used his hands (not the serving tools and plates) and walked from area to area eating directly from the buffet. I don't care how much it costs. That's just completely awful behavior.
Sorry, I agree with this post and with jd99's original post. And hopefully it's reasonable to discuss it here. The idea of "getting your money's worth" at all costs can lead to pretty gross behavior. It's hoarding. It's rude. It's low class. Obviously, you can't know what somebody is thinking or why people do what they do. So, it's not entirely fair to make these judgments. But stuffing one's face or pockets in public is pretty uncool. Remember that everybody else paid the same or a similar amount.

Of course, in the comfort and privacy of my own family room? That's a different story.
cgulls is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #2314
cgulls
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgulls View Post
Sorry, I agree with this post and with jd99's original post. And hopefully it's reasonable to discuss it here. The idea of "getting your money's worth" at all costs can lead to pretty gross behavior. It's hoarding. It's rude. It's low class. Obviously, you can't know what somebody is thinking or why people do what they do. So, it's not entirely fair to make these judgments. But stuffing one's face or pockets in public is pretty uncool. Remember that everybody else paid the same or a similar amount.

Of course, in the comfort and privacy of my own family room? That's a different story.
A couple years ago, Steve at tikimanpages wrote this bit on Concierge Level etiquette. Grammar errors notwithstanding, he makes some nice points.

http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/new...und-the-resort
cgulls is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #2315
toodycat
DIS Veteran
 
toodycat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,119

If you see someone eating directly from the serving dish, please tell a CM and they will toss the whole platter. Sadly, I know this because my aging father has totally lost his table manners and was behaving like a concierge pig on our last visit. I apologize to anyone who was there; we made sure the food he touched was removed from the lounge.
__________________
Wilderness Lodge/MVMCP 12/13
Beach Club Villas '13
Grand Floridian 00, 01, 09 '11 12
Polynesian 06, 00
Wilderness Lodge 05 Grand Californian 04
Animal Kingdom Lodge 02, 10 Coronado 02, 01
Disney Magic 12, 09, 06, 02, 01
Disney Wonder 05
offsite 83, 89, 91
toodycat is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #2316
DetTigsGal
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 603

We stayed club level at WL during our Thanksgiving trip, there were a couple of nights I was back to the room before the rest of the family and they weren't going to back until after 10. I would get texts from them -ds19,ds15 and DH - asking to get their snacks. I would do a little bit at a time , but the whole time kept thinking of the discussions we have had on this thread about the pigs !
__________________
Me DHDS19 DS15
DL Off-Site - 1968, 1980
WDW Off-Ste - 1972, 1984, 1989, 2002
CR - 1996 (DS19 1st Trip), 1999 (DS14 1st Trip), 2003, 2007
GF - 2009, 2010
Grand Californian - 2011 (DS19 Graduation Trip)
WL CL - 2012
DetTigsGal is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #2317
pl4bby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetTigsGal
We stayed club level at WL during our Thanksgiving trip, there were a couple of nights I was back to the room before the rest of the family and they weren't going to back until after 10. I would get texts from them -ds19,ds15 and DH - asking to get their snacks. I would do a little bit at a time , but the whole time kept thinking of the discussions we have had on this thread about the pigs !
Having two under two my dh would go to the lounge and bring back food for us. People need to realize that people may not be pigs but helping out their spouse!
pl4bby is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #2318
pl4bby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4bby

Having two under two my dh would go to the lounge and bring back food for us. People need to realize that people may not be pigs but helping out their spouse!
The cms had no issues at all helping my husband get a tray. And when I was sick they even ordered soup for me and brought it to my room. We didn't ask for it and was so surprised at their thoughtfulness and kindness.
pl4bby is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #2319
pl4bby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229

Disney is a vacation why be worried about judging people and calling them pigs? Yes of course if they are hurting the food eww, tell a cm right away. I have much better things to do on my vacation. I hope no one judged my dh as he is a wonderful dh and daddy to help me and make sure I eat.
pl4bby is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #2320
bethclayton
DIS Veteran
 
bethclayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 705

i have to stay that i have never seen anyone ill-mannered in any way at the rpc lounge (the poly was a different story ). but when i hear people say that they thought people in the lounge were rude because they ate a lot, or took food back to their room or had multiple plates of food... sometimes i am like ?? i mean, it's not like they run out of food there. they just keep bringing more until the time slot ends. or if someone brought a bunch of beer to their room, or to wherever... i mean, there's more beer right behind it, just waiting for the next guest.

bad manners as in touching food, coming into the lounge not clothed properly, being loud, taking up space unnecessarily when it is crowded... yes, i would not like to see that. but taking a lot to eat or drink, when there is an endless supply of food and drink? i don't think it would bother me!

even clean-up... during our first trip the women shooed us away if we tried to clean up after ourselves in any way (for some reason i don't recall whether or not that was the case on the next trip). so i could see where if someone experienced that once, they might assume subsequent to that, that they don't need to clean up.
__________________
Me DH DS (12) DD (14)
CBR May 2006~POP Dec 2007~AKL Jan 2009~GF RPC March 2010~GF/ Poly CL Dec 2010~GF RPC April 2012~BC CL/ GF RPC Aug 2013
bethclayton is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #2321
Dr Ken
Don't want to "earn" my ears. I'm retired!
 
Dr Ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Albion, RI
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4bby
Disney is a vacation why be worried about judging people and calling them pigs? Yes of course if they are hurting the food eww, tell a cm right away. I have much better things to do on my vacation. I hope no one judged my dh as he is a wonderful dh and daddy to help me and make sure I eat.
I agree. With the exception of the few who have no manners or cleanliness, never assume you know the whole story.

For example, I specifically booked CL because my wife is recovering from a gastrectomy and can only eat 6 oz of food at a time. So, we are avoiding the buffet restaurants and having tiny meals six times a day, many of them at the resort lounge. Anyone who sees us will notice that we stop by the CL buffet many times per day and might assume we're taking advantage of CL. Trust me, we'd be much happier if she never had cancer and still had most of her innards!

Everyone should enjoy their vacation and have fun at WDW (assuming their fun doesn't deprive others of having fun)! Unless it's causing you a problem, relax and let the CMs decide if it's a problem.
__________________
- Dr Ken

Have enjoyed visiting 8 Disney theme parks (4 in FL, 2 in CA, 1 in Tokyo, and 1 in Paris)




Dr Ken is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #2322
jd99
DIS Veteran
 
jd99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 6,174

like i said. I can agree to disagree. Sorry everyone was so offended that I found this behavior piggish. But I did.
__________________
: Upcoming: BC August 22 Past: Magic Med July 14, Dream Jan. 14, Fantasy Nov. 13, GF and Fantasy Aug 2013, DD Dancing at Disney June 13, Spring Break at AKV: Aulani at Christmas, Fantasy Nov.3,Dream June 2011, DCL Med 2010 & 2011, DCL 3 night April 09, DCL Western Aug. 06, Nov. 08, 09, 10, DCL Eastern Nov. 06, 07, 11, DCL Mex Riviera Aug08/YC (x3), BCV (x6), Poly (x3), GF Concierge (x5), BC Concierge, YC Concierge, DL, PO, VWL, SSR, AKV, BLT (x3), Offsite (x3) Disneyland (too many times to count)
jd99 is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #2323
pl4bby
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ken

I agree. With the exception of the few who have no manners or cleanliness, never assume you know the whole story.

For example, I specifically booked CL because my wife is recovering from a gastrectomy and can only eat 6 oz of food at a time. So, we are avoiding the buffet restaurants and having tiny meals six times a day, many of them at the resort lounge. Anyone who sees us will notice that we stop by the CL buffet many times per day and might assume we're taking advantage of CL. Trust me, we'd be much happier if she never had cancer and still had most of her innards!

Everyone should enjoy their vacation and have fun at WDW (assuming their fun doesn't deprive others of having fun)! Unless it's causing you a problem, relax and let the CMs decide if it's a problem.
This 100 percent and I hope your wife gets better
pl4bby is offline  
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #2324
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwn View Post
Thank you very much! Thats exactly what I wanted to know. It looks like from the info on that site and the pictures of the room on Disney's website, the ones right above Gasparilla's (2nd floor) will have a Magic Kingdom view and balcony- I will request to be on 2nd floor and hope it works. Thanks again!
There are two room types in the Main Building Deluxe King rooms. The turret rooms that make up the corners of the buildings, which are REALLY FRIGGIN HUGE, with no balconies and mostly no MK views (a few exceptions), and the regular shaped rooms, down the special hallway, only very slightly bigger than a regular room, with a balcony and MK view. We loved the turret room, but for what you want, I would specifically request "balcony/MK view room".
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is online now  
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #2325
blackacex2
Mouseketeer
 
blackacex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd99
like i said. I can agree to disagree. Sorry everyone was so offended that I found this behavior piggish. But I did.
Hey it's cool, I think everyone sees your point and understands there should be respect and etiquette involved regardless of the cost. However, if I paid for club level I know that I could never physically eat or drink enough to keep disney from making a massive profit off the cost of club level. So I'm not worried about their cost if I were to take a substantial amount of food and drink from the lounge each day. I would, however, be sensitive to other guests and be mindful of the quantities available.
blackacex2 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: