DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #31
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
This may be a good area for DVC to differentiate further between buying direct and buying resale.

They could issue different color membership cards for resale or direct to make them easily distinguishable, and then create day use as a "new perk" for those that bought direct. They could use this to easily add perks for direct purchasers of at least 100 points in the parks and resorts, while not further "restricting" resale memberships. The point usage restrictions are already listed by MS in the computer system, so a different color card could work for new onsite perks,like better pass discounts, shopping discounts, etc...just as they used to be different for Premium AP and Regular AP.
I think the issue with that would be controlling capacity. Day guests would not be happy if they bought direct and then were turned away from the pool of their choice when they got there. They could call in advance but there's no way to know how many people will be there when they get there. Also resort guests would not be happy if the pool was crowded.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

I am surprised Disney has not tryied to sell us a pool pass. For a fee you ould pool hop as a dvc meber anytime you are staying in disney.Platinum card would allow you to use pool anytime.

Pool hopping enforcement is one of those things dependant on how crowded it is idetermines how enforced it is. My expeience is unless guests compain about a lack of chairs SM do not actively enfore or check.

The only place it is always enforced is SAB.
Dano1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #33
jagson
Mouseketeer

members have no excuse not to know the rules; nonmembers should be educated just once; if either entity should become repeat offenders, suspend the members, and charge the nonmembers with trespassing, or even charge the repeat offending members. several times over the years, it was so crowded at the pools, and hard to find chairs; i bet several of the people there were offenders. harsh solution, but in time the word would get out and the intruders would drastically cut down. an illuminated flashing "violators will be prosecuted" (in several different languages) sign would also help, for those that don't read the signs. legally, the resort would be liable for any injuries, whether there legally, or not, if the resort didn't take reasonable measures to warn the "guests" against trespassing.
jagson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
carlbarry
DIS Veteran

Handcuffs and stun guns?

carlbarry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #35
PamOKW
The two most important items for keeping warm are a hat and gloves
I just went into the twilight zone with this thread
Prefers original Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

Years ago I had a co-worker whose family had a vacation home in Orlando -- her parents freely used all the resorts at WDW for pools, hanging out in lobbys, etc. etc. and she would do the same on her visits. Fairly annoying to have messages saying she's hanging out a resort pool when I'm paying to stay but there are always people "flying under the radar" when and where they can. I feel it's up to Disney to police and imagine today they have even better ways of stopping consistent abuse. I think more than feeing being taken advantage of, it's also a security question for Disney to have non-guests in guest areas.
PamOKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #36
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamOKW View Post
Years ago I had a co-worker whose family had a vacation home in Orlando -- her parents freely used all the resorts at WDW for pools, hanging out in lobbys, etc. etc. and she would do the same on her visits. Fairly annoying to have messages saying she's hanging out a resort pool when I'm paying to stay but there are always people "flying under the radar" when and where they can. I feel it's up to Disney to police and imagine today they have even better ways of stopping consistent abuse. I think more than feeing being taken advantage of, it's also a security question for Disney to have non-guests in guest areas.
My thoughts exactly. Random checks would at least make it look like they are trying to do something about it. I personally wouldn't be upset if they asked to see a room key to be at a pool or even on transportation. Especially at SSR, Congess Park specifically.

OT...Every time we stay in Congress Park half the people that get off there are going to their cars at DTD or to the off-site hotels. They make no secret of it.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #37
Sammie
DIS Veteran

This is my take, if it is obvious or I know for sure, as in this person brags about it, I bring it to the attention of a Cast Member, usually a manager.

Then if they decide not to follow up with enforcing policy, then I decide whether I want to report them for that.

Usually managers will enforce policy, the college kid at the pool, not so much.

There is the possibility that the new magic bands will stop some of this.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #38
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
I don't see that working unless there was someone watching the gate to make sure that no one comes in behind the registered guests.
All it takes is the registered guests to close the gate. I can assure you when we are at gated locations, even the laundry, I am not falling for the "I forgot my room key"
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #39
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

Is having a drink at a Pool bar pool hopping?
When staying at BCV we have stopped several times at Leaping Libations for a cold drink after walking back from HS.

Once we asked a CM if our DD could take a quick dip. The CM said no problem. This was during the no pool hopping period.

She was about 10 and at the age where she wanted to wear her bathing suit all the time.

We had a couple of frozen drinks and some snacks and then left
We did not take up any lounge chairs and the chairs we used at bar were unoccupied. DD did use one towel.

Does this make us bad people?

BWV is our "home".
Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Having beverages at a bar is not pool hopping, bars and restaurants are open to everyone. And since you asked if your daughter could swim, and the CM said yes, there should be no problem. The problems arise when the pools are at or near capacity and there just isn't any more room, DVC/Disney tries to anticipate this with the pool hopping black out dates, but again, you asked the CM.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #41
Dano1182
DIS Veteran

I have seen CM s ask people to leave when the pool area is overcrowded. This is one of those issues common sense should prevail.
There is no harm in a DVC member using a pool when it is not busy.

Several years ago we were at VWl and a couple of young girls were hanging at the pool. They lived near by and were telling their friends that they "bounce" from hotel to hotel to sit by the pools. They go to the parks in the morning and then hop on a boat or monrail to spend the day.

They had extensive knowledge of the hotels and at that particular time it seemed like harmless fun for the girls they were polite and did not take chairs that would be used by real guests.

I do believe that the rule should be enforced when people staying at the resort are inconvienced.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #42
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
I think there is a small number of locals (members & non-members) that treat the Disney pools are their own personal pools.
Yes I was just going to post the same thing, I have been at BWV and overheard locals by the pool that were not memebers( a group of older couples)and would swear the same thing happens at SSR with locals too. I figure they get off the park bus walk thru on their way to DTD and next time decide to stay for a swim. Hey I am a people watcher

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #43
kdzgon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Having beverages at a bar is not pool hopping, bars and restaurants are open to everyone. And since you asked if your daughter could swim, and the CM said yes, there should be no problem. The problems arise when the pools are at or near capacity and there just isn't any more room, DVC/Disney tries to anticipate this with the pool hopping black out dates, but again, you asked the CM.
So this falls under "it's okay to break the rules as long as a CM breaks one too?". The rule is not "no pool hopping if crowded". Do I think it was a big deal? Not really, but I am also sure I could get a CM to okay the use most if not every day I tried to pool-hop despite the existing restrictions.

It's one thing if someone on this thread is making the case that it's no big deal if there is no negative result (eg, an overcrowded pool). But if one wants to claim to take a moral stand, I'd say "two wrongs don't make a right".

This is not directed at you specifically - it is commentary on the thread responses in general.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Actually, the point is that it is Disney's rule. Disney can choose to enforce it or not, or give CMs the discretion based upon pool usage. Sort of like saying that guests are not permitted backstage at the theme parks, yet they often direct guests through the backstage areas to exit after fireworks or Fantasmic. The CMs on duty are really the final authority, don't show up EXPECTING to be allowed to swim on blackout days, or if staying offsite.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-07-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #45
Pig Pen
To all who have come to this happy place...welcome.

The pool and beach gates at Vero have readers on them. However polite guests WILL hold the gate open for you if you don't have your key handy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: