Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
hoosll
DIS Veteran

We've a got a problem at FW

Background: DH and I are on out 2nd trip to FW in 3 months. We have a dachshund who is almost 15 yrs old. He does get some separation anxiety but he usually stops barking after we leave ....

Yesterday we went to MK and came back to a "nuisance dog" note left on our step ... "dog barked all day" ... no signature. DH was really upset as we don't want to ruin anyone else's vacation but ... it's our vacation, too.

What should we do ...
1. Give it up and head on to our next stop after one day.

2. Figure it was his first day and head out to DHS hoping he will do better today if we leave the radio on or something. But come back in a couple of hours.

3. Cut back to just a couple of short park visits and get a babysitter in to stay with the dog ... wouldn't you like to hear that conversation when we call to schedule.

This would be harder if we weren't just here in Dec .... also HOW do you check out early at FW .... there's no front desk!
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape; Feb '14 Snowbirds!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
petchie
DIS Veteran

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ends-pet-care/

Day Care

Pet day care is available to pets looking for the ultimate day-long getaway. Drop off your pet in the morning and pick up your pet later in the afternoon. Pets will enjoy the same luxurious suites and condos as overnight Guests, as well as the same great amenities and services.

For more information, prices or to make an appointment, call (877) 4 WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738, or visit the Best Friends Pet Care website.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
hoosll
DIS Veteran

Our problem with that ... we have no car so would have to find a way to get the dog there and back ... dog has never been kenneled in 14+ years ... for the money, dogsitter may make more sense.
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
Old 02-05-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Terapin
DIS Veteran

1) Taxi
2) Dog will be fine - kennels are safe and set up for this
3) Stranger dogsitter in my RV? Nope, I wouldn't do that.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
patty57
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't want to kennel my 15 year old dog who had never been in a kennel before. Dog sitter might be the way to go. You could also try a few hours in a park and a radio.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
hoosll
DIS Veteran

We are afraid the note-sender will get us evicted under the nuisance dog provisions of FW rules then we lose our payment ...

Basic problem: if we're out of RV we can't hear the problem. At the other loop in Dec he would cry some times but not other times ... no one complained and we didn't complain about other barking dogs or the noisy music from the site next door that bothered us ... to us it is just part of the campground ambience that we all put up with ...
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #7
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosll View Post
We are afraid the note-sender will get us evicted under the nuisance dog provisions of FW rules then we lose our payment ...

Basic problem: if we're out of RV we can't hear the problem. At the other loop in Dec he would cry some times but not other times ... no one complained and we didn't complain about other barking dogs or the noisy music from the site next door that bothered us ... to us it is just part of the campground ambience that we all put up with ...
I wouldn't kennel an older dog who had never been kenneled either. I think you only have 2 choices--find someone to dog sit, or cut your trip short and move on. While dogs barking may not bother you, it seems to be bothering other people, and they can get you booted from the campground.

Not to mention, if your dog is upset to the point of barking all day, this is not a happy trip for him.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I wouldn't kennel an older dog who had never been kenneled either. I think you only have 2 choices--find someone to dog sit, or cut your trip short and move on. While dogs barking may not bother you, it seems to be bothering other people, and they can get you booted from the campground.

Not to mention, if your dog is upset to the point of barking all day, this is not a happy trip for him.
Agree with this entirely.

The dogs separation issues aren't being resolved if he's barking all day long. I personally wouldn't have a problem putting a dog this age over at Best Friends since they aren't in cages - they have small rooms and most (if not all) have televisions playing.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
I could never board my dog, especially if he has never been in a kennel before. I haven't read too many good things about Disney's kennel, but it's been awhile. Maybe it has improved recently. I would have to get a pet sitter.
Good luck and I hope everything works out ok and you can still have a great trip!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
hoosll
DIS Veteran

We talked to the front desk and they said a pet loop is expected to have barking dogs. There has been no formal complaint and they put down that we called to try and resolve any issues, even to moving to a different campsite. The girl couldn't have been nicer.

First, we are going to run the radio for company and noise pollution, perhaps voices or noises outside set him off...

Then, we are going to sit quietly outside for 15-20 minutes to gauge his temperment.

I'm considering leaving our cell phone number with front desk and asking to be called if there is a complaint ... we could be back at campsite in an hour or less (using WDW buses) or a taxi if it is an emergency.

Dachshunds have a sharp bark (so their owners can find them underground during hunting) so I know even at 14+ it can be annoying but I find it hard to believe that he can keep the barking up for 4-6 hours straight.

We lost his brother to a brain tumor about 9 months ago and that's when the separation anxiety began, he had never been alone before. If we are going someplace not dog friendly like a beach house, then we have a dogsitter who comes in and stays with him. He is fine during the day at home while we are out running errands. We really had thought that he was getting better.
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #11
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

Quote:
We talked to the front desk and they said a pet loop is expected to have barking dogs. There has been no formal complaint and they put down that we called to try and resolve any issues, even to moving to a different campsite. The girl couldn't have been nicer.

First, we are going to run the radio for company and noise pollution, perhaps voices or noises outside set him off...

Then, we are going to sit quietly outside for 15-20 minutes to gauge his temperment.

I'm considering leaving our cell phone number with front desk and asking to be called if there is a complaint ... we could be back at campsite in an hour or less (using WDW buses) or a taxi if it is an emergency.

Dachshunds have a sharp bark (so their owners can find them underground during hunting) so I know even at 14+ it can be annoying but I find it hard to believe that he can keep the barking up for 4-6 hours straight.

We lost his brother to a brain tumor about 9 months ago and that's when the separation anxiety began, he had never been alone before. If we are going someplace not dog friendly like a beach house, then we have a dogsitter who comes in and stays with him. He is fine during the day at home while we are out running errands. We really had thought that he was getting better.
You have went to the front desk and they said that it is not an issue, so I would just leave the radio on and head to the park. I would come back in a few hours to see if he is barking and then decide from there.

DW DH DD(9) DD(4)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(3), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
maxiesmom

Quote:

I don't understand why you would leave a dog you know has separation anxiety alone for long stretches of time. He is barking because he is a highly unhappy dog, and I doubt turning the radio on will change that.

Honestly? If you care about your dog as much as you say you do you will either find someone to sit with him, or leave. I think it is cruel to leave him alone, knowing he has issues, and just try to drown out his barking.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #13
2girlsmomma
Earning My Ears

You have done your due diligence. Don't stress about it, enjoy your trip! If it bothers anyone badly, they will contact the Front Desk who will talk to you and they've said they won't evict you on the first complaint. Seriously doubt the note writer heard him ALL DAY, because who hangs out at DW at their site all day? At least part of it they were at DW!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #14
jwgm2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
I don't understand why you would leave a dog you know has separation anxiety alone for long stretches of time. He is barking because he is a highly unhappy dog, and I doubt turning the radio on will change that.

Honestly? If you care about your dog as much as you say you do you will either find someone to sit with him, or leave. I think it is cruel to leave him alone, knowing he has issues, and just try to drown out his barking.
Are the owners never to leave their areas going forward? They were responsible to book in the pet loop and per front desk, barking dogs are to be expected. Granted, dog may not be enjoying itself, like you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to judge and call it cruel. It hasn't been that long that dog lost his bro - maybe a new playmate should be in store for the future to help with the lonliness? Either way, OP having a dog sitter come over will help you enjoy your time at the parks too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmomma View Post
You have done your due diligence. Don't stress about it, enjoy your trip! If it bothers anyone badly, they will contact the Front Desk who will talk to you and they've said they won't evict you on the first complaint. Seriously doubt the note writer heard him ALL DAY, because who hangs out at DW at their site all day? At least part of it they were at DW!

This but also go with your original thought to get a pet sitter. It will make you feel better and let you enjoy your vacation.

June 2012 - Our First Semi-Blended Family Trip - CSR
December 2012 - 1st Disney Christmas Ever and Adults only
June 2013 - Celebrating DD's 15th Birthday - OKW

Booooo for no upcoming trip ticker...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgm2012 View Post
Are the owners never to leave their areas going forward? They were responsible to book in the pet loop and per front desk, barking dogs are to be expected. Granted, dog may not be enjoying itself, like you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to judge and call it cruel. It hasn't been that long that dog lost his bro - maybe a new playmate should be in store for the future to help with the lonliness? Either way, OP having a dog sitter come over will help you enjoy your time at the parks too.

I do think it is cruel to take a dog that has just lost it's playmate somewhere, and leave it alone. And to continue to do so once it has shown it is unhappy and stressed. A radio will only cover up the noise, and won't do anything to help the dog.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: