Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
dznystar
DIS Veteran

Formal and Semi-formal attire

We still have almost 10 months before our cruise, but trying to make lists and decide what we need to get sooner rather than later. We're traveling the Eastern 7 night in Nov/Dec with myself, DH, DS10, & DS5. Recommendations for cruise attire for semi formal and formal nights? What does everyone wear? We're also planning to eat at Palo's and/or Remy's. And what other theme nights are there? I've heard about pirate night and lots of people dress up like pirates or at least wear the bandanas you get on the ship. Any other dress up occasions?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznystar View Post
We still have almost 10 months before our cruise, but trying to make lists and decide what we need to get sooner rather than later. We're traveling the Eastern 7 night in Nov/Dec with myself, DH, DS10, & DS5. Recommendations for cruise attire for semi formal and formal nights? What does everyone wear? We're also planning to eat at Palo's and/or Remy's. And what other theme nights are there? I've heard about pirate night and lots of people dress up like pirates or at least wear the bandanas you get on the ship. Any other dress up occasions?
You will undoubtedly get a HUGE swing of opinions, as do all of the threads that start like this. Hopefully it will stick to simple observations and people's experiences rather than the never ending argument about how to dress on a cruise.

That being said, most nights in the main dining rooms are cruise casual, see the DCL web site for the actual guide lines. On formal night you will see people dress in full formal attire, tuxes gowns, I personally always wear a tux, I find it fun and enjoy getting into the full experience. And there will be people dress from that end to the other in the spectrum. It's really up to you.

Palo requires a either a jacket or dress shirt for men, dresses, slacks for women, no jeans no shorts. This is for dinner. Remy, for dinner requires men to have jackets.

Semi formal night, same answer as formal night.

Pirate night is the same, you'll see folks who don't dress in any type of pirate attire, then you go from pirate themed t-shirts to full out costumes. Again, I go the whole 9 yards.

All of this depends on what you want to do, what you want to pack and how you want to spend your vacation. You'll be fine and have fun no matter what.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
dznystar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears View Post
You will undoubtedly get a HUGE swing of opinions, as do all of the threads that start like this. Hopefully it will stick to simple observations and people's experiences rather than the never ending argument about how to dress on a cruise.

That being said, most nights in the main dining rooms are cruise casual, see the DCL web site for the actual guide lines. On formal night you will see people dress in full formal attire, tuxes gowns, I personally always wear a tux, I find it fun and enjoy getting into the full experience. And there will be people dress from that end to the other in the spectrum. It's really up to you.

Palo requires a either a jacket or dress shirt for men, dresses, slacks for women, no jeans no shorts. This is for dinner. Remy, for dinner requires men to have jackets.

Semi formal night, same answer as formal night.

Pirate night is the same, you'll see folks who don't dress in any type of pirate attire, then you go from pirate themed t-shirts to full out costumes. Again, I go the whole 9 yards.

All of this depends on what you want to do, what you want to pack and how you want to spend your vacation. You'll be fine and have fun no matter what.
Thanks for your input! I too, and one of those that loves an excuse to dress up. I'm a work at home mom that spends most days in yoga pants and tshirt...so I'm really looking forward to going all out. Do kids dress in suits for formal night? I'm not too into the whole pirate thing, but my kids are, so I'm sure they'll find somethign for me to wear. And we'll be cruising with my parents that I believe go in full costume. So, I should plan really for just the pirate, formal and semi formal nights, right? All other nights are cruise casual?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Do kids dress in suits for formal night?
To answer your question, my son has always worn a suit or tux on formal & semiformal night, but not all kids do. It is the same thing for adults. Do what you are comfortable. Know that you will see a wide variety of dress on formal nights, from long gowns and tuxes/military dress blues to shorts and t-shirts. The other nights are cruise casual with the only thing requested not to be worn shorts, tanks and swimwear. My family all enjoy the opportunities to dress up on the ship, so tend to do so each night, with the fancier dresses and the guys in suits on the formal nights.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
To answer your question, my son has always worn a suit or tux on formal & semiformal night, but not all kids do. It is the same thing for adults. Do what you are comfortable. Know that you will see a wide variety of dress on formal nights, from long gowns and tuxes/military dress blues to shorts and t-shirts. The other nights are cruise casual with the only thing requested not to be worn shorts, tanks and swimwear. My family all enjoy the opportunities to dress up on the ship, so tend to do so each night, with the fancier dresses and the guys in suits on the formal nights.
Totally the same here, my boys used wear suits on formal and semi formal night, their choice.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allears View Post
Totally the same here, my boys used wear suits on formal and semi formal night, their choice.
My son still has his tie collection hanging in his closet. Unfortunately many of them are too short for him to wear now. He's keeping them for his son to use one day.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

We dress up for formal night because we like to, I have a formal and DH wears a suit and tie. I wear sundresses the rest of the nights because I don't get to dress up at home. We don't wear pirate costumes but enjoy seeing others dress up.

What I wear to Palo or Remy I also wear to dinner on another night (assuming I don't spill anything). DH will wear the same dress shirt a couple of times and just switch out the tie.

I bought my formal at a consignment shop for $25. Consignment stores are a great place to shop if you would like to dress up but don't want to spend alot.

If you don't have suits for your kids and don't want to spend the money, khakis and a polo shirt will work for them for the whole trip. Don't stress about it.

There is also the captain's gala and the prince/princess night, a big one for the little girls.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
PrettyPrincessJen
AKA "MomBomb"

We are headed out soon for our cruise and I went to the local halloween shop the day after Halloween and scored 5 full costumes for 50$ That would have cost me 175$ the day before. Keep that in mind if you are looking to dress up.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
sambycat
DIS Veteran

I wear some sort of dress every night, could be a $15 jersey dress from Walmart, could be a cocktail type dress. Haven't always worn something technically formal, but the guys wear a collared shirt and we dress up. DH tried and loves doing the men's formal wear rental so now I have to seek out things that "go" witha tux! The men's tuxedo is easy to rent, comes with shirts, shows - he and DS wear parts and pieces of it easily 3 nights. No little ones, but I'm always seeing inexpensive options for kiddos at the stores or online sites. Clearly I spend too much time here...

sambycat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
cgolf
DIS Veteran

I personally do a nice pair of dress pants with a short sleeve dress shirt with a tie. The first cruise I took a jacket but found I took it off as soon as I sat down to eat. We noticed many others doing this so we decided to skip the jacket and save some packing space. The DW and DD do a nice dress which they do most nights anyways.

Cgolf
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #11
dznystar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyPrincessJen View Post
We are headed out soon for our cruise and I went to the local halloween shop the day after Halloween and scored 5 full costumes for 50$ That would have cost me 175$ the day before. Keep that in mind if you are looking to dress up.
Good tip!!! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
PLANNER88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambycat
I wear some sort of dress every night, could be a $15 jersey dress from Walmart, could be a cocktail type dress. Haven't always worn something technically formal, but the guys wear a collared shirt and we dress up. DH tried and loves doing the men's formal wear rental so now I have to seek out things that "go" witha tux! The men's tuxedo is easy to rent, comes with shirts, shows - he and DS wear parts and pieces of it easily 3 nights. No little ones, but I'm always seeing inexpensive options for kiddos at the stores or online sites. Clearly I spend too much time here...
Do they have formal wear rental on the ship? If so, what are the options and what is the cost?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLANNER88 View Post
Do they have formal wear rental on the ship? If so, what are the options and what is the cost?
Here's the link to where DCL refers you for formalwear:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
PLANNER88
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

Here's the link to where DCL refers you for formalwear:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/
Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #15
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time