Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

DTD Question

I remember a podcast segment a few months ago about Pleasure Island being closed. However, in my research about WDW I keep seeing it as a destination in DTD and I see it on the map. So, I'm confused. Is it closed or isn't it? Can someone explain this to me?
Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Well, it's still there technically, but nothing in Pleasure Island is open. I guess they mean you can walk through it. No idea why they would have marked as a destination. Maybe because they were having those outside dance parties for awhile? I don't think they are still doing those though.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

It's closed, but they still refer to it as a few stores are open near that area. It's honestly deserted space.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
PinkBudgie

Hmmm. I'm looking at the map on the WDW website and it says Pleasure Island and shows places to eat there. Laffers Cantina, Raglan Road, Paradiso 37, and Portobello Trattoria. And it looks like a water taxi stand there too. And it seems like you have to walk through it to get from one side of DTD to the other. Maybe I'm not understanding what Pleasure Island is. I'm thinking it is that "island" connecting the two sides of DTD. There seems to be a walkway past the restaurants.

Here is the map on the Disney site I'm looking at: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/maps/
Old 02-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
mytripsandraces
DIS Veteran

The restaurants and shops were still open the last time I was there. I think the nightclubs closed, but there are still places to eat and shop on Pleasure Island.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder

A series of management changes/philosophies lead to a bone-headed, stupid, short sighted decision to close the night clubs on Pleasure Island, effectively giving all the night life business of both locals and tourists to City Walk.

It is actually an island, and it does effectively "connect" WS and MP, although it was not designed to be that way. I wrote a blog on the history and downfall of the area known as Pleasure Island at http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/07/17/pleasure-island-dispelling-the-myths/
and despite being a vastly desolate place with a bold new vision of mulch, grass, and human statues(pay no attention to the empty buildings behind the shrubbery ) it is still called Pleasure Island.

I could talk all day about PI

zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkBudgie View Post
Hmmm. I'm looking at the map on the WDW website and it says Pleasure Island and shows places to eat there. Laffers Cantina, Raglan Road, Paradiso 37, and Portobello Trattoria. And it looks like a water taxi stand there too. And it seems like you have to walk through it to get from one side of DTD to the other. Maybe I'm not understanding what Pleasure Island is. I'm thinking it is that "island" connecting the two sides of DTD. There seems to be a walkway past the restaurants.

Here is the map on the Disney site I'm looking at: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/maps/
Downtown Disney is 3 parts. The main shopping area with the World of Disney store, I guess considered "east side" and then DTD Westside and Pleasure Island. Raglan Road, Portobello, ect...are really part of west side and then there is the desolate and deserted Pleasure Island.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
PinkBudgie

Thank you everyone for explaining it to me.

Thommy, interesting blog. It must have been your report I heard on the podcast. Maybe the recent management mix-up will lead to some smart decisions there. They have until June 2014 to get it fixed up.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #9
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Ya, short explanation is that the island is still there and referred to as such, but there are only a few shops and restaurants on it. What is typically referred to as Pleasure Island is the nightclubs, all of which closed almost 5 years ago.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: