Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
PJ
Mouseketeer

If Soarin' was accessible, are Star Tours and TOT?

Just trying to get an idea of what to expect since we're doing a park for the first time with a friend in a power chair. On a prior trip she was able to do Soarin', but she's never been to HS. Would she be likely to be able to do these 2 attractions?

Thanks!
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

You have to transfer for all these rides. I think Soarin is an easier transfer but all are doable. Hope this helps.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

if i remember right, friend might have to transfer to wheelchair then transfer to ride. not sure about powerchair but ECV have to use wheelchair in line. wheeelchairs are at the ride to be used there, uou do not have to rent one. this is true at other rides also.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Power wheelchairs are usually able to go into the wheelchair accessible lines, even when ECVs are not. Power wheelchairs are usually more manouverable and have a 'footprint' that is closer to a manual wheelchair than most ECVs are.

If a transfer to a manual wheelchair is needed for a line, there will be an attraction wheelchair to switch to. But, the attraction wheelchair will usually not have swingaway armrests or footrests, which some people need to transfer.

I agree with KPeveler that Soaring is likely the easiest transfer.
All are potentially doable. I thought you might like a reminder about Soarin since I have good pictures for it.
Soarin' has a lot of space for transfers and you can park the wheelchair wherever it would be best. If you need something specific, like to park your wheelchair at the start or end of the row or want to be in the middle, let the CM who is assigning people to places know.

TOT has hard metal seats, with several tiers of seats, each tier is up one step.

The door to get into the seating area is fairly narrow and the seats are on either side of a narrow central aisle. There is not room to get the wheelchair into the aisle, from what I remember (someone else who has done it more recently may be able to tell you more).
I don't know who these people are, but their picture gives a good view of the seat arrangement, the tiers and the size of the aisle.

The boarding area is in a different place than unloading. After the guest has transferred into the ride car, a CM will bring the wheelchair to the unload area.

I don't have any pictures of the inside of Star Tours, but the seats are kind of standard theater type seats. A guest using a wheelchair can park the wheelchair very close to the ride seat to transfer over. At the end of the ride, a CM will bring the wheelchair back to transfer back into it.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 02-05-2013 at 06:06 AM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: