Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Wilderness Exploration & Crab Feast in Ketchikan

Has anyone done this tour? It seems to have good reviews on Trip Advisor, but I am traveling with my almost 3 year old and 17 month old. I would hate for them to get antsy and affect other guest's enjoyment- is this a tour that would either hold their interest or is spaced out enough for others not to be too impacted by a meltdown or two. Not saying they will, they are pretty good in public, but with those ages.... you never know!

It also seems based on the in port times fairly likely most tours will but right up or overlap dinnertime (early seating)- did you find this to be the case? We are considering leaving the kids in the nursery (I know, hot button topic) and doing either this one or Deadliest Catch, but I don't want to have to leave them in there through dinner if they will be in there that long.

AZMermaid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Bump- anyone do this excursion?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
cruisenow01
Mouseketeer

We did this summer of 2011 with Disney. It was an OK excursion for us and the explanation for that is below. The scenery was beautiful and the majority of your time is spent on the boat traveling to a couple of different spots in hopes of crabs. These are not king crabs mind you like on Deadliest Catch. These are regular Dungeness or Tanner crabs. We are from Louisiana and they catch these crabs just like we do, so we weren't too fascinated by that process. The other children seem to be fascinated by the crabs though. My 5 year old was bored because there was nothing spectacular (like Ariel jumping out of the sea, but that is just her). Part of the scenery were an old salmon cannery, lumbering sites (seeing how they lumber up there was pretty cool), and just general beautiful Alaskan inlet views. Once you get back to the restaurant and shop (she perked up when she realized that she could buy something), it is all you can eat crab. The crab was cooked beautifully. They will peel for the children. If you feel comfortable bringing your small ones, they certainly will not disturb anyone. The boat is enclosed with large windows to look out. Be sure they use the bathroom before getting on boat (wouldn't want to go there unless I had to). It is a relaxed tour. If you have never had excellent crab or ever seen how crabbing works, it would be pretty cool. For us being from Louisiana, it is certainly not one that we would do again, but we were glad we did it at least once.

cruisenow01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
AZMermaid
DIS Veteran

Thank you- I appreciate the feedback!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: