Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
baddog576
Mouseketeer

First time *Tent* Camping at FW - Need advice!

We just booked our campsite for Memorial Day Weekend. I can't wait. We don't have plans to visit the parks unless we get bored at FW but I don't see that happening.

I don't know much about the Fort except what I have been reading here and on the internet. When I made our reservations she said tents are in loops 1500 and 2000. You can be in other loops but then you'll be near campers and RV and we might not like the noise from the generators and campers.

Which loop is 'better'. I picked 1500 just because I thought it might be closer to the pool and such. I reserved two campsites for us and another family. There is only a total of 10 of us but they are a family of 6 and we are a family of 4. Since we can only have 2 tents do you think the family of 6 would be crowded in their tent? We figured the older kids would want their own tent so that would be the limit on their site.

Any advice would be great. It will be the first time real camping for my kids (6 and 3). I heard maybe the sites on the 2000 loop are bigger so maybe we should switch? I made the reservation together so will our camp sites next to each other?
Disney Dream 3 Night Bahamas - 10/04/12
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern Caribbean - 07/06/13
Disney Magic 5 Night Christmas Caribbean Cruise - 12/22/13
Disney Magic 3 Night Bahamas - 3/21/14
Disney Wonder 7 Night Alaskan - 07/07/14
Disney Wonder 5 Night Christmas Caribbean Cruise - 12/21/14
Disney Magic 9 Night Norwegian Fjord - 06/20/15
baddog576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

I'd say stick with 1500, 2 normal sized tents will fit.

If both sites are booked under your name they should be together. Be sure to remind them upon arrival.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
wdwrroad
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog576

I don't know much about the Fort except what I have been reading here and on the internet. When I made our reservations she said tents are in loops 1500 and 2000. You can be in other loops but then you'll be near campers and RV and we might not like the noise from the generators and campers.
I have stayed at the fort several times. Never in a tent though. I have never heard any generators running. I don't expect to either, as all sites have plenty of electrical power available. I know someone that has tent camped at the fort. From what I understand (hearsay, I admit), the tent loops can be more active/rambunctious than the RV loops at times. Also, I would suspect that the comfort stations may be more crowded in the tent loops, as most people have facilities in their campers.

If you were to choose a different loop, you will find that the premium sites do not have any sand to stake down your tent. The full and preferred sites do.

I do not think you will find a bad site in the fort no matter where you choose. Hope you have a great time and enjoy your vacation.
wdwrroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Running_Bell
Mouseketeer

We were there for 10 days in our tent and stayed in loop 1500. It is a great loop and close to pool, however, depending on the size of your tent I would consider 2000 if you have 2 large tents. Our tent is 11x14 and we had an awning to put our kitchen and chairs under. There is no way we could have gotten another tent in our site and still be comfortable. I suppose if we didn't have the awning we could have. We will be going back this year with two tents plus the awning. We are going the 2000 route for sure. If you have bikes or a golf cart... it's a nice ride/drive. As far as noise... All the times we've been there in our tents or the RV... we've never had any problems with noise from other guests from either tent loops or RV loops. I definately have not seen one louder than the other. In fact, the last tenting we did it was very quiet. I saw a few small children riding bikes but it looked like more couples that time around. I guess it depends on the time of the year too. One thing is dogs are not allowed in the tents spaces.... or actually in tents at all at FW so the tents loops are quiet as far dogs go. We also have never had a problem with waiting for the comfort stations. Again.... I'm sure that has a lot to do with the time of the year. You will have fun no matter which loop you stay. If you like to spread out though... I would go with 2000.

Returning summer 2014 - FW
August 2013 - Boardwalk & FW
Nov 2010 - Pop & FW
Oct 2009 - FW
Sept 2007 - FW
Sept 2005 - POR & FW
Sept 1997 -All Star Sports

Last edited by Running_Bell; 02-04-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Running_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

I second what Running Bell said.

With two tents and ten people, loop 2000 sites may be better for you. It has bigger sites which will give you more room for tents.

1500 is closer to things as you say but most of the sites are on the smallish side. But you didn't mention the size of your tents.

You can walk from the backside of 2000, cut the corner of the group Creekside Meadow campsite, and take the footbridge over the ditch to loop 900. Then it's a very short walk to the pool or Meadow TP area.

You never hear generators at the Fort. All the sites have plenty of plugs and power appropriate for RVs and campers.

However, I'd say keep your request for two sites in 1500. If you don't get those then you will get 2000. It will work out in the end. 2000 will certainly accomodate you if 1500 won't. You can check in and if you get sites in 1500, drive down to them and check them out. If they don't work for you, go to the nearest comfort station, call the Fort front desk, and ask for sites in 2000. They can assign them to you over the phone and you can go straight to them.

So shoot for the stars, then settle for the moon if you have to.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: