Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
unsinkable
Earning My Ears

Recommend a moderate for family of 5 that wants 2 rooms

We stayed at POR when the kids were little and one kid slept on the pullout under bed thing.

Now, they are all older teens and I think the best way for us to go is 2 rooms in a moderate...or even value.

We loved POR. Should we just go back there? Or would another resort be better?

Thanks!

unsinkable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
NHWX
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable View Post
We stayed at POR when the kids were little and one kid slept on the pullout under bed thing.

Now, they are all older teens and I think the best way for us to go is 2 rooms in a moderate...or even value.

Thanks!

I've been going over and over the same thing. At the moment, it looks like an outside villa or the All Star Music Family Suites are in the running. Once you get to the point of needing three actual beds, price really becomes an issue.

I'll be interested to see what others have to say.
NHWX is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #3
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

We are a family of 5 that had connecting rooms at POFQ a few years ago. It worked out great. We were on the first floor by the pool so it was the perfect location for the kids to head to the pool or the food court. It was also a short walk to the bus stop. The small size of the resort is definitely a plus.

2 bathrooms and 4 beds were great. It was nice that people could watch tv in one room while others slept in the next room. The extra space was great and it let us have some breathing room.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I second PP's recommendation of POFQ. We stayed in two connecting rooms there this past May and enjoyed it very much. (We are a family of 6) It is nice on the smaller side of the resort. Rooms are good, we got plenty of towel animals, pool was great. Bus pick up was fast. Gift shop was very good. We enjoyed walking around POFQ and POR. We ate a boatwrights which we actually all loved. I feel like that is an underrated restaurant. In all, it was a lovely trip. Have a great trip!

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Cherlynn25
Mouseketeer

CBR, we are a family of 6 and have stayed 2 rooms at Caribbean Beach a couple of times. We love it. The older boys enjoyed the pool slides, hot tubs with us and hanging out in the food court gift shop area. we also went and hung out on the beach area, they threw a football and we relaxed in the hammock!
Contemporary/CBR 5/2011*Caribbean Beach 3/2010*Wilderness Lodge Surprise Anniversary Trip 7/2009*POR Riverside FREE DINING 9/2008* Pop Century FREE DINING 9/2007 *Pop Century 3/2006 *HIFS2/2002 *Offsite 11/1996 Family reunion*Embassy Suites Honeymoon 7/1994 *5th Birthday 1979
Cherlynn25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Tiggerish
DIS Veteran

We haven't stayed there yet, but my family which includes a teenage girl and former disney teenage girl think Coronado Springs looks good.

We have stayed at both sides of PO and you can't go wrong with either, but if you want a change of pace, look at Coronado Springs.
Tiggerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
RyMacJ
DIS Veteran

I'm in agreement regarding POFQ, b/c of it's compact size and it's proximity to POR, which you already love. I've never stayed at any of the other mods, but I have stayed at POFQ and absolutely loved it.

Offisite April 1987**Treehouse Villas June 1993**Offsite July 1998**POFQ (DisneyMoon) May 2007**AoA Nemo Suite May 2013**Caribbean Beach June 2015

Me DH DD6 DD5
RyMacJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable View Post

Thanks!

The AoA Family Suites are very nice. The room is 565 square feet, and there are interior corridors rather than outside entry like the other values or even moderates. There is a queen sized bed in the master bedroom, and the second bathroom's entrance is inside the master for some extra privacy. The living room has a very comfortable double bed sized pull-out couch (no bar to hurt your back either), and a double murphy bed that turns into a table during the day. It's nice to have the living area that's not a bedroom also for when you just want to hang out for a little while in the room.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #9
TosaTrio
DVC Owner @ SSR & VWL

You may also want to consider renting DVC points for a villa, which include full kitchens and laundry. Some of the 1BRs sleep 5 ( King in the bedroom , pull out coach and sleeper chair) and the 2 BRs sleep 8 or 9.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
DisneyLifeMel
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5, and have LOVED Port Orleans Riverside - multiple times. Having said that, I recently stayed at Coronado Springs and happily discovered they have a real coffee bar with real baristas! BONUS!

Coronado Springs has the big convention center, so on some levels it caters more to adults and families with older kids. The bar is fabulous, the coffee bar is great. I went w/o my kids that time, and I can say that they would have loved the pool. The topiaries of the Three Caballeros (One of my favorite Disney movies as a kids) are so charming. You see them throughout the resort.

As you know, the food court at POR is unbelievable. By far, our favorite. The pool is great too. The ability to ride a boat to Downtown Disney is a big plus (which you can do from POFQ too)! The rooms in the Alligator Bayou section have been beautifully refurbished just over a year ago. So the rooms feel new.

The grounds of both resorts are beautiful, but large. Request a room near a bus stop!

Tough choices - lol. Those are the only 2 moderates I have stayed at. I give a slight advantage to POR, but just slight. Have I mentioned how much I love the coffee bar at CSR!! :-) If you are getting 2 rooms anyway, then I highly suggest staying somewhere completely new. I have loved every resort. If I am paying that much, I like to get a new experience each time. Happy vacationing!

Last edited by DisneyLifeMel; 02-02-2013 at 11:01 AM.
DisneyLifeMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
WDWjen
Mouseketeer

We are a family of 5 and on our last trip we did POR because it's the cheapest option. Our kids were 6,8&10 and are big/tall for their age . We loved the resort but the trundle bed was very uncomfortable.. One night when my youngest climbed into our bed I moved to the trundle andif was horrible,my oldest tried it and hated it. We had done the BC on our previous trip and they have day beds instead of trundles. Had I known I would have brought a twin air mattress .. Not enough to ruin our trip, we loved the pool, the restaurant and food court.. The grounds are lovely etc. but our next trip we wouldn't stay there again in 1 room. Keep in mind we've stayed Ina cruise cabin for 5 people and the size of the room never bothers us, but the trundle bed wasjust too uncomfortable . Not sure what we will do for our next trip.. I hate paying for two rooms at WDW because we are always at the parks. I'll be curious to read further responses on this thread...

Nov 11 - Port Orleans Riverside
Jan 10 - Beach Club
Feb 09 - Rental house offsite
Jan 08 - Wilderness Lodge & Villas
Mar 07 - Offsite & Universal
Dec 05 - Saratoga Springs
Jan 05 - Port Orleans FQ
April 04 - Boardwalk Villas
Dec 01 - Port Orleans Riverside
Sept 99 - All Star Music
WDWjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
CerysG
Mouseketeer

Just went through the same thing for our trip in August. We stayed in PO last time and loved it but we wanted to try something new as I don't know if we will ever get back to Disney. I basically started by looking at the other mod resorts and just going from there. I started out with picking CB and then thought maybe not because of the double beds rather then queen but it really did have a lot of appeal for me. So then I thought CS and was set to book there but there is a big convention there the same time we are going so no rooms....might be just as well! I did look at the FQ but didn't think it was right for our kids 9,12 and 16! So in the end I booked at CB which is what my gut had told me to do all along! Yes the double beds aren't the best but really it's a small thing and not so very important to either DH and I. We are getting two rooms so we can spread out some and the 12 and 16 year old are happy to have a room without the 9 year old! I'd say go with the one the just seems the most right to you when you look at it and read about it.
CerysG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

I've stayed at all 4 moderates, and I would rank them this way:

#1 POR
#2 CSR
#3 POFQ
#4 CBR
And I think I would rank them in that order for your family too.

I think the double beds at CBR are a negative, as is it's ginormous size. It has 3 more bus stops than POR! Though if someone in your family would spend time sitting in a hammock by the beach, then you may like CBR.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
JennSaint
DIS Veteran

Our favorite with teens is CSR.
CBR~11/29-12/5/00, Disneyland~5/9-5/13/01, AKL~2/12-2/20/02, AKL~2/12-18/03, Universal PBH~2/18-2/21/03,Bonita Springs 2/12-2/21/04 & WDW Dolphin 2/21/04, WDW~ POFQ~2/15-2/21/05 & BCVillas 2/21-2/25/05, POFQ~2/17-2/25/06, Hyatt GC~2/18-2/23/07, All Star Sports~ 2/12-2/15/08 & CSR~ 2/15-2/20/08, CBR~2/14-2/21/2009 & Caribe Royale 2/21-2/24/09, AKV Jambo~2/10-2/20/2010, Bahama Bay Resort 2/20-2/28/2011, BWV & BCV 2/19/12-2/26/12, CBR 2/18-2/25/2013
JennSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #15
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We really liked Coronado Springs. Great food court and pool.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: