Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
rdw
Mouseketeer

Are we crazy for even considering it? We will probably fly into FLL. I'm not sure how early of a return flight it would be safe to book, so considering whether we should stay an extra night. If we do that, we might rent a car, at which point, we could still fly home out of FLL - or possibly MCO or Tampa. Are we crazy for even considering this? Our kids will be 5.5 and just turned 3.

Thoughts?

Last edited by rdw; 01-23-2013 at 04:20 PM.
rdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
neg58
DIS Veteran

I would not do it and then turn around and drive back to FLL - that's 3+ hours and rather silly since there are airports closer to WDW.

I wouldn't do it for one day. you'll get off the ship around 9 am. You can book an afternoon flight or an even later one and do something in Miami if you feel you need to do something. I'd go home!

Now if you can do 2-3 days in WDW, then yes, do it. Drive up, get there around noon, and you'll still have plenty of time to do a park or Downtown disney.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I've booked many multi-leg trips before. There are a few airlines that do MIA / FLL to MCO. If its a few days, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. 1 day at the parks (not including the disembarkation day)? I wouldn't do it personally. When you price out your trip, on the airfare page (expedia, travelocity, any airline website) look for the link that says "multi-leg" and fill it out as needed. You could also rent a car and drive up to MCO (3-4 hours depending on traffic) but then you have to drive back. If the airfare is cheap enough, fly into FLL/MIA, then into MCO, then back home from MCO and use Magical Express.

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
RedxPanda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw
Are we crazy for even considering it? We will probably fly into FLL. I'm not sure how early of a return flight it would be safe to book, so considering whether we should stay an extra night. If we do that, we might rent a car, at which point, we could still fly home out of FLL - or possibly MCO or Tampa. Are we crazy for even considering this? Our kids will be 5.5 and just turned 3.

Thoughts?
If you can fly SWA, AirTran, Jet Blue, etc. You essentially book each direction as a separate flight and can fly in and out of whichever airports they serve. On a trip to Las Vegas we flew JetBlue there and Southwest back home because they had the cheapest fares that fit our schedule.

Past Sailings/Recent Trips
CCL Triumph - 7N E. Caribbean - 12/2006
NCL POA - 7N Hawaii - 3/2010
CBR - 4 Parks 4 Days - 5/2010
Disney Magic - 4N Bahamas - 5/2012 - Trip Report
Disney Wonder - 5N W. Caribbean - 1/28/2013 - CC Review - Trip Report
CCL Dream - 7N W. Caribbean - 6/22/13 - Port Reviews
RedxPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
rdw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedxPanda View Post
If you can fly SWA, AirTran, Jet Blue, etc. You essentially book each direction as a separate flight and can fly in and out of whichever airports they serve. On a trip to Las Vegas we flew JetBlue there and Southwest back home because they had the cheapest fares that fit our schedule.
Yes! This is what I am thinking about. Since we will likely be flying SWA, we could disembark in Miami on Thursday, and potentially fly home from Tampa Sunday. I just don't know if that is a crazy plan to have . We'd also have to rent a car and bring carseats with us (may need to do that anyway though to get from FLL to POM.

That would basically give us Thursday afternoon /evening and Friday in WDW before returning home. I also don't know if one day tix would be crazy expensive.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
ajmercedes59
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw View Post
Yes! This is what I am thinking about. Since we will likely be flying SWA, we could disembark in Miami on Thursday, and potentially fly home from Tampa Sunday. I just don't know if that is a crazy plan to have . We'd also have to rent a car and bring carseats with us (may need to do that anyway though to get from FLL to POM.

That would basically give us Thursday afternoon /evening and Friday in WDW before returning home. I also don't know if one day tix would be crazy expensive.
We are doing this! We disembark in Miami on a Thursday. We are renting a car (and reserving a car seat from the car rental place) and we are driving to WDW. We are flying home from MCO on Sunday. The kids (age 10 and 5) don't know that we are going to WDW after the cruise!
ajmercedes59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
MCO mama
Mouseketeer

rdw - one day, one park tickets are approx $90ish each
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
rdw
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I'm kind of thinking if we're already in Fl, let's just do it . I really want DD to see Rapunzel.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Cats12
Mouseketeer

I'm doing it for 1 day BEFORE the cruise. I can't handle more than 1 day at the park. And I don't want to get off the cruise and then stress myself out at WDW. It's cheaper for us to fly to FLL and then from Orlando than roundtrip to FLL or Miami, so that helps.

Cats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
rdw
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats12 View Post
I'm doing it for 1 day BEFORE the cruise. I can't handle more than 1 day at the park. And I don't want to get off the cruise and then stress myself out at WDW. It's cheaper for us to fly to FLL and then from Orlando than roundtrip to FLL or Miami, so that helps.
You will be on the same cruise as us! Are you flying into MCO and home from FLL? We are planning to fly into FLL the morning of the cruise. I was probably going to have to bring carseat for DS (5.5) anyway, so might as well bring 2 - though not sure where we'll store them! Get off the ship Thurs and drive to WDW, spend Friday at WDW, and then fly home Saturday from Tampa (less $$ than MCO).

Does that plan sounded totally crazy? Gives us one day to recover at home before back to school / work.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
rdw
Mouseketeer

*bump* for any more input
Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
jendeli
Earning My Ears

We got off of the Dream this morning and are all exhausted. I couldn't imagine being on my feet all day at wdw. Isn't Rapunzel on the ship? I'll have to check my Navigators when we get home.
jendeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
Cats12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw View Post
You will be on the same cruise as us! Are you flying into MCO and home from FLL? We are planning to fly into FLL the morning of the cruise. I was probably going to have to bring carseat for DS (5.5) anyway, so might as well bring 2 - though not sure where we'll store them! Get off the ship Thurs and drive to WDW, spend Friday at WDW, and then fly home Saturday from Tampa (less $$ than MCO).

Does that plan sounded totally crazy? Gives us one day to recover at home before back to school / work.
I WAS going to do that. Think I'm going to do similar to you now (started feeling guilty about DD(6) missing more school) except fly into FLL on Friday and out of MCO on Saturday. I would still rather do WDW before, but I figured it was a nod to school, at least. Since I'll have cars on both ends now, figured I'd rent the car seat and not have to store it. I also can't believe it's actually cheaper to rent a car one way twice than to take the shuttle to FLL, and don't have to take a carseat as a bonus.

So no, not totally crazy to me, but we could both be delusional I did 1 day at WDW before leaving from Canveral last time, not sure how much worse Miami will be.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Cats12
Mouseketeer

Here is some more discussion on the topic. Makes me want to reconsider and do WDW first!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3059185

Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

We are cruising from Miami and heading to WDW for a couple days after. We were going to rent a car and drive, but it might be easier to fly. What's the earliest time I should consider booking a flight from Miami to MCO?

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: