Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Flying!

We normally drive but got amazing fares for our Sept trip this AM.. so we are flying SW out of Hartford. It's been 13 years since I've flown and my younger kids have never flown.. any tips? we pack light even when we drive so i'm not worried about luggage..just everything else..lol

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR

No Distractions,Never say Never TR
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

We are flying for the first time with the kids this year as well. I haven't flown in 12 years!

There are great departure prices for us on SW out of Flint, MI, but we are returning on the 28th and those dates are not out yet!!! I'm going crazy deciding what to do
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Jones View Post
We are flying for the first time with the kids this year as well. I haven't flown in 12 years!

There are great departure prices for us on SW out of Flint, MI, but we are returning on the 28th and those dates are not out yet!!! I'm going crazy deciding what to do
yeah I am very glad my departure date is the 27th..lol..we added another day on the beginning to get a lower price .lol

Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Only liquids in 3 oz bottle or less put into 1 of the 1 quart ziplock bags are allowed thru security. You are allow one ziplock bag per person and you must pull it out of your luggage to be screened by TSA. If your airport has the new body scanners you will have to remove everything from your pockets before going through security including kleenex. You will have to remove you shoes no matter what screening machine they have.
Every one needs photo ID Arrive 2 hours before your flight takes off. If you take off time is say 2:30 be at your gate no later than 1:45. I watched as a family of 5 came to the gate 5 minutes before their flight only to be told they could not board because the aircraft door was closed. The father argued with the gate agent that the flight was suppose to leave at 1:00. But the agent told him that means that is the time the plane will leave the ground.
Needless to say they also could not get a flight out for 2 days!!! So don't be late.

What else would you llike to know.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio View Post
Only liquids in 3 oz bottle or less put into 1 of the 1 quart ziplock bags are allowed thru security. You are allow one ziplock bag per person and you must pull it out of your luggage to be screened by TSA. If your airport has the new body scanners you will have to remove everything from your pockets before going through security including kleenex. You will have to remove you shoes no matter what screening machine they have.
Every one needs photo ID Arrive 2 hours before your flight takes off. If you take off time is say 2:30 be at your gate no later than 1:45. I watched as a family of 5 came to the gate 5 minutes before their flight only to be told they could not board because the aircraft door was closed. The father argued with the gate agent that the flight was suppose to leave at 1:00. But the agent told him that means that is the time the plane will leave the ground.
Needless to say they also could not get a flight out for 2 days!!! So don't be late.

What about checked bags and liquids? For example can I put a full shampoo/conditioner bottle in ziplock in the checked luggage or is that limited to 3 oz as well?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What about checked bags and liquids? For example can I put a full shampoo/conditioner bottle in ziplock in the checked luggage or is that limited to 3 oz as well?
Go to tsa.org. You will find all the information you need regarding what is and is not allowed in checked and carry-on baggage. You can also get baggage information from your airline's website.

A PP gave incorrect information about shoes through security. Children 12 and under do not have to remove shoes.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I dont forsee needing to bring any liquids with us on the plane. Electronics.. I have 7,9,11year olds.. they will want their kindles and such.. are those allowed? Our flight is at 8:10 am..we will be there by 6am because I am OCD..lol

I plan to do early bird so we can have a better chance of a decent boarding and all being together.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
monorailsilver
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would put more then one zip lock bag around that shampoo/conditioner. I have had laundry detergent leak & thankfully I doubled bagged them & then put them all in a 3rd bag. And that went UPS (since then I use powder when I travel).
June 1975 Golf Resort & Polynesian August 1977 DL off site April 1990 WDW off site May 1981 Polynesian July-August 1985 Polynesian July-August 1987 Polynesian/Floridian July-August 1990 Beach Club May 1994 All Star Sports/Polynesian June 1995 Wilderness Lodge/Dixie Landings February 1997 off site/Wilderness Lodge March-April 1999 Engagement Trip February 2000 Polynesian August 2002 Polynesian July 2005 Polynesian August 2008 Polynesian August 2013 Polynesian and I think there were a few more trips here & there but I have lost track.
monorailsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #9
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Liquids in a checked bag can be of any size.

yes electronics are allowed on board. They will tell you when it is safe to turn them on.

As for arrival at the airport.. Check with your airport to see what time the check in desk opens otherwise you might have to stand for awhile.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Sugar Jones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailsilver View Post
I would put more then one zip lock bag around that shampoo/conditioner. I have had laundry detergent leak & thankfully I doubled bagged them & then put them all in a 3rd bag. And that went UPS (since then I use powder when I travel).
I have no idea what I'm bringing yet, we are not going until September I was just curious
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #11
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Liquids in a checked bag can be of any size.

yes electronics are allowed on board. They will tell you when it is safe to turn them on.

As for arrival at the airport.. Check with your airport to see what time the check in desk opens otherwise you might have to stand for awhile.
my oldest and mom have flown the last 2 years so I can get info from them for some of this. We took their luggage with us though so the whole luggage thing is new to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #12
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

we usually travel with duffle bags.. those ok?

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
ChristmasElf
Will be packing TP in her purse if Sheryl Crow gets her way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
we usually travel with duffle bags.. those ok?
Duffle bags are fine. If they are not oversized, you can take them as a carryon.

If you go to the trial/travel size aisle in Target (usually near the pharmacy) you will find travel size shampoo,deoderants, etc.
They also sell a travel pack that has the empty bottles, pump spray bottle and the quart size zipper bag for around $8.99 so you can fill each bottle with your favorite shampoo,etc.

Kids under 12 and adults before 1937 do not have to remove their shoes.

Make it really easy. Go to Costco and buy each child a rollerboard (suitcase that can be used as a carry on that has wheels) $99 GREAT quality (Kirkland brand)
You will easily be able to fit a pair of shoes, clothes for 5-6 days,etc.
For the second carry on item, give them each a back pack -this can hold the Kindle, a snack, sweatshirt, and anything else they may need.

Then you won't have to worry about checking luggage!
ChristmasElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
G719
Mouseketeer

With southwest, you get 2 bags checked free per person. Minors aren't required to have photo id. I think going through security is the most nerve wracking. I thought I would loose something or somebody. Just give yourself plenty of time to get through and be waiting at the gate. I think most recommendations are 1.5 - 2 hours before your flight to arrive at the airport.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justakrazymom View Post
We normally drive but got amazing fares for our Sept trip this AM.. so we are flying SW out of Hartford. It's been 13 years since I've flown and my younger kids have never flown.. any tips? we pack light even when we drive so i'm not worried about luggage..just everything else..lol
WHAAAAAT!?!?!?!

Let us know how it goes since you're used to driving. I couldn't handle giving up our independence, but if the fares are low enough, why not, right?? Enjoy.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: