Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #2596
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

anyone vote on pattern review ? I didn't realize you had to be a member for 3 months to vote. I thought they changed that but maybe they just changed who can enter timeline ?
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #2597
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts

Had to come and share the chenille baby quilt I made for my new nephew - it turned out really cool and I am very proud of it! It is the first quilt I have ever made... Sorry for those of you who have already seen it on my PTR... There are more pictures posted there, I just didn't want to bombard you all here.

D~
The quilt turned out so cute! I forgot to mention when I saw that you were making the quilt that my MIL (aka the quilter) made a similar one for DS when he was a baby. I LOVED that quilt and he had a blast rolling on that with the textures, yet it was still so soft. The car fabric is really cute too. :D

Also if you are interested in other ideas, YCMT has a super cute/adaptable pocket bid pattern by Precious Patterns - bugs, bees, etc. I made the pattern into a frog bib for my new nephew using 3 fat quarters, green ribbon, and a pair of cool green/back "frog eye" buttons that they had at Joann's. It could totally be made into a monkey or other animal too.

August/September 2015 ~ POLY
October 2013 ~ CSR/POR

Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #2598
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
anyone vote on pattern review ? I didn't realize you had to be a member for 3 months to vote. I thought they changed that but maybe they just changed who can enter timeline ?
Sorry I don't know the answer to that, but I hope you will do well in the contest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi View Post
Also if you are interested in other ideas, YCMT has a super cute/adaptable pocket bid pattern by Precious Patterns - bugs, bees, etc. I made the pattern into a frog bib for my new nephew using 3 fat quarters, green ribbon, and a pair of cool green/back "frog eye" buttons that they had at Joann's. It could totally be made into a monkey or other animal too.
Thanks for sharing the information about the bibs. I just found out last night that my brother-in-law and his wife are expecting their first child. I will be making a few things for them over the next few months, so I am sure I will be looking for ideas!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #2599
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
The quilt turned out so cute! I forgot to mention when I saw that you were making the quilt that my MIL (aka the quilter) made a similar one for DS when he was a baby. I LOVED that quilt and he had a blast rolling on that with the textures, yet it was still so soft. The car fabric is really cute too. :D

That is good to hear... I am so nervous about making things for a baby...

Love the bib idea though - I will go look for that pattern.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #2600
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi

I haven't posted anything in a long while, but I lurk here pretty much daily. I love so many things that it is hard to keep up!

I won't repaste pictures/quote but I wanted to say I love so many things lately!!!

PrincessMom4 - love the waterbottle holders with the drawstrings! I just made 2 holders (Minnie-inspired for me, Star Wars for and DS) and they are so funny (I such a sewing novice), but they'll do the trick. I used a strap instead, but now seeing your drawstring appraoach... I'll try to post pictures soon.

DianeMom2 - Love the halter tops! Is that the Oliver + S pattern? The dresses are super cute to. Did you make the dresses too?

DisneyChic2 - love the Mickey Hat shirts and the cute Chevron background in your pictures!

And, a long time in coming... Scrap_heaven - DD would die if she saw the Tiana dress, very cute!

OK, so here are a few creations from (gasp) last Fall I thought I share. I've been working on other things since, but haven't taken the pictures which would then have to be loaded to my work PC (home is SO slow) and then posted. It a process... so I lurk and enjoy most of the time.

Oliver + S Ruffle Halter (free pattern) - Jessie Cowgirl
I also love the popover dress pattern
Shorts - Once Upon A Child/Target Mossimo
Front:

Back:

Modeled by DD (she was a size 5 when this was taken, made it in size 6 for October trip):

Also bought a super cute coordinating Jessie Cowgirl hair clip from MaddieBsBoutique on Etsy.

Stitch shirt for DS - hand-appliqued (this picture is pre-sewn, but it turned out well and DS loves it)

key fobs/pocket purses - longwaitforisabella.com (lanyard and key fob pattern). The Lanyards and Goofy have not yet been finished, and there's also another Tigger pocket purse in the works for DS. I am making 2 for DD and DS each, Red Minnie-inspired for me, Goofy for DH.

I also bought a two-zip hipster pattern on Etsy from Erin Erickson . I have material cut out for a vintage-inspired Mickey/Minnie hipster for our trip using the same pattern. I love how this turned out! Thank you to D~ for the inspiration to try out a hipster, your bags are awesome!!!

Thanks for viewing!
The Jessie is so cute! That top is the perfect pattern for the fabrics you used. Stitch turned out great too and I really LOVE your hipster. I have wanted that pattern for over a year now. My Vera Bradley bag that I use is three years old and is starting to show its wear, so I may have to break down and spend $ on a pattern.

Quote:
Cute! Can't wait to see what you come up with. You motivated me to go home last night and take more pictures - in doing that I discovered I had made a top out of a different Tink fabric - I think now that I bought it at Hancock and the one you posted earlier I know I have seen, and you are right, it's more flimsy/see-through.

Here's the Tink tunic-length top I made DD (sorry for the blurring iPhone picture) - yes, I made her model it for me too. I think I made it a smidge longer if I remember correctly too. She has another top of the same pattern and I wanted this one a bit longer - hits at her hips. I have been making korker hair bows lately too, she's no impressed with them and yanks them out immediately!

This is a PDF top pattern - super easy with adjustable sizes. I used it to make a similar top made as my first sewing project - that has since turned into a skirt since I flipped the length/width.
Etsy shop: toosweetspatterns - sugar ruffle tank

Here's another painful outfit. DM did the Minnie head embroidery on the shirt (Minnie head from Frou Frou by Heather Sue). Skirt: no pattern, just winged it with an idea in my head and some coaching from DM on how to attache the ruffles. I re-purposed a jeans skirt I bought 2nd hand. The jean was stretchy and it "resized" a little after I had the ruffles ready to attach, and now puckers in the back since the ruffles ended up shorter, but exactly what I measured? GAH! I am NOT redoing it, I had like 5 failed attempts at attaching the ruffles, so it's good enough. This will be DD's AK outfit, maybe something to wear this summer too. I got the shoes for a steal on Zulilly - cute, but I don't think they look comfortable.

And lastly, my not-so-great attempt at water bottle carriers. I had some extra InsulBrite laying around from another project, so I thought I'd give it ago after finding the tutorial that was posted here about a month ago. The bottles are DH's 24 oz Mt Dew, so larger than what I would probably carry around.

DS's bottle carrier is made Star Wars fabric from Joann. He LOVES this fabric, more importantly note the AT-AT detail. DS is obsessed with anything Star Wars lately, particularly AT-ATs, so he was really geeked about this and offered consultation in the design and what to have shown (Death Star on the inside, AT-AT on the outside, Wing Fighter on the bottom). He has since sat there and just studied the bottle carrier.

I made myself a Minnie-inspired bottle carrier with some left-over fabric from my stash. The inside is black with white polka dots. I hand-quilted that thing, what a pain, just don't know how to machine quilt a pattern and my attempt failed. It's a cute swirly rose stitch pattern though. Now having these finished, I wished I would have seen PrincessMom4's design first!

IF I make a bottle carrier for DH, I guess I'll need to make it taller too for those 24 oz Mt Dew bottles.

Thanks for bearing with me and all my project posts. It freezing outside in MN, work is slow lately, and I'm busy dreaming about FL and my sewing projects to come.
Everything looks great but I really like the AK outfit the best. I hope the puckering on the skirt isn't too noticeable b/c it's such an adorable outfit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Gsandme View Post
I'm so happy this bumped so I could find you all!!

Is it just Disney sewing? Or anything?
We post pics of anything we sew. We even post pics of cakes we make sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Everyone,

After a crazy marathon on the computer to finish 5 photo books, I've finally had some sewing time. I made a custom nursing cover today and finished the hem and collar on a Snow White costume. I actually made two of the SW last fall since I started with too large a pattern for dd. (Stupid commercial pattern!) I had to remake a smaller one for her, but a young cousin will be wearing the larger one at WDW later this month, so thankfully it was not wasted effort and fabric! I can't wait to hear how people react to her. She has lovely curly black hair and the costume looks so nice on her!

Next up, 3 beach robes for my kids from this pattern. We're going to an indoor water park next Friday. Nothing like a little pressure on myself. The kids picked some cute striped towels from Wally's. I'm kind of excited about this project!

What a nice gift! Very cute!

Hi Andrea!

So glad to see you posting regularly again! My shop is going VERY slowly, but thank you for asking! So far only a couple family members have made purchases. The shop itself is a bit neglected and I need to get a bunch of new items listed. I've got some embroidered items I made as gifts to list. With Christmas and homeschooling, I just haven't had enough time to get much done. Hopefully, I can get some work done on that next week, too!

Michigan has a really nice website that walks you through all the steps of opening a small business. Maybe Virginia does too? I applied for a state license because then I can buy wholesale from places like Monag. You should be able to google the tax question, I would think.

Congratulations! And I love the little pants! I've found creative sewing for boys is hard. But if anyone can do it, you can! Can't wait to see the rest of what you make for the little guy!

They all turned out so nicely! I loved the petulant model shots, too! When does the contest conclude?

Glad to hear you're on the mend! I hope you'll be back up to full speed very soon!

I do FB, including the disbou page, but I actually prefer it here. Honestly, I'm kind of intimidated by the group on FB. They are always very kind, but so many of them know each other so well, I feel a bit like an outsider. (I don't mean that to sound at all snarky or rude, so I hope it doesn't come across that way!)

Very clever! And, welcome!

All those pics are great! I drool over your blog and website - it just looks so polished! How wonderful to have a photographer friend! That last shot is wonderful! My kids are not allowed to touch their ears either. They're decorations on a shelf in my bedroom.

Glad to hear you're on the mend! Hope you'll feel up to sewing soon!

Congrats! You'll love it!

I'm sorry you're having such a stressful time! Prayers that things will ease up on you soon!

Those turned out great!

I love everything! My favorite is the first outfit - love those colors! What size range are those dresses? I'd love that pink one for dd, though I'm guessing it's too big right now. Maybe I'll go grab one for a year or two down the road.

I love everything, but that Jesse outfit is TDF! So clever!

That will be really pretty!

What does everyone think of the new Cindy and other Princesses? I love the in-park changes, but I'm not so sure on the printed versions yet.

Everything is nice, but I really like the patchwork jean skirt. I'm sorry it didn't turn out as you'd hope. I hate when that happens! I love that you ds helped design his water bottle holder!

Off to print the robe patterns and get started! Have a great weekend, everyone!

Regards,
C.
Sorry your shop is slow -- I think a lot are like that to start. I have all the info I need for my license and VA taxes, and I think I found you can make up to $400 b/f reporting it on federal. I'm now all the more worried though b/c I know someone who started being a Pampered Chef consultant two years and she just got notice they are being audited by the IRS all in relation to the PC stuff! Eeks! I wouldn't want to get audited!

Quote:
I d/l that robe pattern when you made those robes and I considered using it, but I really like the long sleeves and hood on the MADE pattern. Thanks for the applique link! I'll check it out

I figured that dress was Girls sizes since your niece is in school. I will probably try to grab one, though, next time I'm over there. It is a dangerous store for spending money! I had actually picked some striped fabric to line the hoods of all the robes in their fabric dept, but after 10 minutes and two calls over the PA, no one came to cut it. I took that as a sign and will hit Joann's for something tomorrow.

Question - Regarding Walmart fabric, do they take competitor coupons? Their fabric prices are just too high, imo.

Regards,
C.
I don't know if Wally's takes any coupons -- never tried and the check out folks at ours aren't the sharpest tools in the shed so they may be baffled given a 40% off coupon. Their prices have gotten way too high. Not that I buy fabric anymore, but I won't pay full price there unless it's something I absolutely must have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

Yesterday was really bad - we were in a Windchill warning all day... And with Alli's missing coat - I was not a happy camper! Then to top it off - Josh wanted to do some family bonding at a college hockey game... LOL Brrr... It was worth it though... Kind of cool story ahead... Josh's cousin from Alaska plays hockey for one of our local colleges - so we get to go see him play quite often, and his parents feel better when he has family to cheer for him in the stands. So, it's kind of cool. However - when it's so cold like that - you just go out there and it's so cold that you can't even be cold. LOL

Had to come and share the chenille baby quilt I made for my new nephew - it turned out really cool and I am very proud of it! It is the first quilt I have ever made... Sorry for those of you who have already seen it on my PTR... There are more pictures posted there, I just didn't want to bombard you all here.

D~
The quilt is beautiful and it looks so soft!

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #2601
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I d/l that robe pattern when you made those robes and I considered using it, but I really like the long sleeves and hood on the MADE pattern. Thanks for the applique link! I'll check it out

Question - Regarding Walmart fabric, do they take competitor coupons? Their fabric prices are just too high, imo.

Regards,
C.
Yes, since you are going to use these in the winter, long sleeves and hood is a great idea. It will keep your kids from getting chilled when they leave the water park area. I don't know if Walmart honor competitor's coupons. We don't have a real fabric department at our Walmart. Just those two yard pieces that are already cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

D~
I love your baby quilt. It looks so soft and cozy! What an awesome gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I think the Walmart and Costco that you guys have must be more interesting than the ones here. We only go into those stores for very specific things and leave. Costco is always like a zoo here so we try to avoid it as much as possible. Unfortunately they have the best prices on a few staples so we put up with it!
Our Walmart and Costco are also terrible. They are overcrowded and overused. We only have one of each in our entire county and they are very over-utilized. But with the cost of land here, there is no way they are going to build another one of either of them. I try and avoid Walmart though because it is so tempting to throw a few things into your cart because you think, "Well, it is only an extra $2", or $3 or $5. And next thing you know, you've spent $100! And Costco is even worse. An impulse purchase there is an extra $20! I try really hard to stick to my list when I go into either of those stores but it is hard!!!

Quote:
I do go and vote there from time to time but not very often. I actually find the site a bit confusing and a little hard to use. I think they need to overhaul it to make it a little more user friendly.

Andrea- I didn't get your quote. But the Two Zip Hipster pattern is definitely worth the $8. The bags turn out great and really do look a lot like the Vera Bradley bags. You can make yourself a bag for a fraction of the cost of a Vera bag. I made two of them last year for the silent auction at our synagogue and they sold very well.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #2602
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Anyone see that Mickey is now on Marc Jacobs clothing. A sequined Mickey sweatshirt runs about $995.00.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #2603
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
We post pics of anything we sew. We even post pics of cakes we make sometimes!

Sorry your shop is slow -- I think a lot are like that to start. I have all the info I need for my license and VA taxes, and I think I found you can make up to $400 b/f reporting it on federal. I'm now all the more worried though b/c I know someone who started being a Pampered Chef consultant two years and she just got notice they are being audited by the IRS all in relation to the PC stuff! Eeks! I wouldn't want to get audited!
The cake that you posted a while back was just fantastic. I hope you can get the business stuff sorted out. I am sure if you keep good records, it won't be a problem even if you got audited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Our Walmart and Costco are also terrible. They are overcrowded and overused. We only have one of each in our entire county and they are very over-utilized. But with the cost of land here, there is no way they are going to build another one of either of them. I try and avoid Walmart though because it is so tempting to throw a few things into your cart because you think, "Well, it is only an extra $2", or $3 or $5. And next thing you know, you've spent $100! And Costco is even worse. An impulse purchase there is an extra $20! I try really hard to stick to my list when I go into either of those stores but it is hard!!!
Ah, now I understand. I try to limit my impulse buys by trying to get out of the stores as quickly as possible. I can see how those little things in the cart add up though.

Quote:
Anyone see that Mickey is now on Marc Jacobs clothing. A sequined Mickey sweatshirt runs about $995.00.
Thanks for sharing. I think for that price I will buy an embroidery machine and applique lots of sweatshirts instead!

Our Disney trips:
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #2604
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Here are a couple of things that I finished up on Friday. The weekend was busy so I am just getting around to taking pictures now.

I have almost used up that ruffle fabric. I am happy with how the outfits turned out but I doubt I will buy that fabric again. Also, I swear that I had hooped that sandcastle dress straight but it looks so crooked in the pictures! I don't know what happened.

Also, there is a special e-pattern sale this week. You can get 18 patterns for $25. I like most of the patterns so it is probably worth it for me to purchase the package but other patterns I will probably not use. Anyhow here is a link:
http://gotosew.com/2013/02/sew-fab-p...sale-giveaway/

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #2605
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

I need ideas. My daughter will be going on a make a wish trip to Disney world. We have seven young kids so have to come up with outfits for all of them, but the one who has me stumped is the wish child Ava. She's almost nine, tall and skinny, and very much into fashion. She did find a precious Snow White Tween costume that I will get her. But, I need serious help with other outfit ideas. Does anyone know where I can find cool, funky tween outfits?

Kristy
Old 02-04-2013, 03:10 PM   #2606
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Here's an example of the Snow White outfit she likes.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #2607
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Sorry that the pattern is a PITA. Can you baste the lining and skirt together at the top before gathering so that you only have to gather it once? Also, can you taper the pieces a bit at the top so that once you gather both layers they don't add in a huge amount of bulkiness at the waist of the dress?

An apron should be super cute! If she loves her play kitchen, I'm sure she will love the apron and with little ones, they just adore anything that matches with mom.
I think putting the lining together with the skirt with make that seam to bulky and too much against her skin. I will follow the pattern and keep it separate. It just might take a me 2 or 3 days of sewing instead of one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post
I need ideas. My daughter will be going on a make a wish trip to Disney world. We have seven young kids so have to come up with outfits for all of them, but the one who has me stumped is the wish child Ava. She's almost nine, tall and skinny, and very much into fashion. She did find a precious Snow White Tween costume that I will get her. But, I need serious help with other outfit ideas. Does anyone know where I can find cool, funky tween outfits?

Kristy
How about something like this ? of course using younger clothes and no heels....

[IMG]http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest*****/550/c1/1f/63/c11f63d0662f4bbbe61abb79cca4f99e.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #2608
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here are a couple of things that I finished up on Friday. The weekend was busy so I am just getting around to taking pictures now.
[IMG]http://i879.photobucket*****/albums/ab356/dianemom2/th_P2030044_zps8342b660.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i879.photobucket*****/albums/ab356/dianemom2/th_P2030046_zpsa7a96ba9.jpg[/IMG]

I have almost used up that ruffle fabric. I am happy with how the outfits turned out but I doubt I will buy that fabric again. Also, I swear that I had hooped that sandcastle dress straight but it looks so crooked in the pictures! I don't know what happened.

Also, there is a special e-pattern sale this week. You can get 18 patterns for $25. I like most of the patterns so it is probably worth it for me to purchase the package but other patterns I will probably not use. Anyhow here is a link:
http://gotosew*****/2013/02/sew-fab-...sale-giveaway/
Both outfits look great. I have to say I like the cat outfit more though! I will have to check out the website you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post

Kristy
Welcome! I think one of the popular designs among teens is "Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse." You may want to browse our previous pages and/or our group Photobucket account for ideas.

Our Disney trips:
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51 PM   #2609
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
How about something like this ? of course using younger clothes and no heels....

[IMG]http://media-cache-ec6.pinterest*****/550/c1/1f/63/c11f63d0662f4bbbe61abb79cca4f99e.jpg[/IMG]
The link doesn't seem to be working for me.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #2610
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Welcome! I think one of the popular designs among teens is "Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse." You may want to browse our previous pages and/or our group Photobucket account for ideas.
Thanks. :-). Where do I find the photobucket account?

Kristy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: