Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

I have 3 children, but they are 2 1/2 years apart, and were in 3 different clubs, so each child was on there own. There will be many kids entering alone. You can always test it out and come back within a half hour to make sure they are happy the first time you leave them. That made my daughter feel better knowing we were coming right back, and when we got back she didn't want to leave.
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #17
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejh1016 View Post
The other thing is at dinner they matched us up with another family with a child the same age as ours They became instant friends and we would coordinate with that family to send the girls to the club at the same times each day so they'd have a buddy! It worked out great'
There might even be another disborder on your cruise with a child of similar age and you could meet up beforehand and then send them together later.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

DahliaRW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejh1016 View Post
The other thing is at dinner they matched us up with another family with a child the same age as ours They became instant friends and we would coordinate with that family to send the girls to the club at the same times each day so they'd have a buddy! It worked out great'
oh that would be awesome! On our last cruise we were with my parents and grandparents and uncle and his gf so we weren't matched with anyone. I wasn't even thinking along those lines, but that would be great.

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/CR TPV CL June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
There might even be another disborder on your cruise with a child of similar age and you could meet up beforehand and then send them together later.
That would be great

2015March- 6 days AKV-CL spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/CR TPV CL June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #20
Jane1967
Disney Dreamer

That is exactly what I was going to say. I am on a thread with others going on the same cruise. We are going to set up a meet for shortly after we get on the ship. That way the girls can get to know each other. We may take them all in the club together as well. Check and see if there is a thread out there for your cruise and put out some feelers.

Disney Wonder February 2009
Disney World February 2009
Disney Wonder June 2009
Disney Dream June 2011
Disney Fantasy March 2013
Disney World May 2014
Disney Fantasy May 2015
Jane1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #21
gunka
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't worry about it, give it a try and see how it goes. On our first cruise our dd was ok with the club, but if she missed mom/dad the counselors would call us on our wave phone and we would go get her. On our second cruise she had turned 4 and wanted to go to the club. She maybe went there a couple of times for an hour or two and it worked out perfect....we never had to push it.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
It's A Small World
Mouseketeer

I can relate. I was so hesitant that my girlies would not like it that I refused to take them. My hubby checked them in the first morning while I was in the gym. My 6 and 8 y/o were split into 2 different age groups. I am not kidding when I tell you they cried when we picked them up...they loved loved loved going. They met so many kid's their own age. Let him try it and see how it goes.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Stephandy03
Mouseketeer

My son was 5 when we cruised with Carnival. His younger sister was 2 at the time. He went to the club alone, so was essentially an only child in the kids club. He had no problem leaving sister and mom and dad behind!
Disney Wonder 12/31/2013 NYE Cruise Galveston to Cozumel
Disney Dream 11/24/2014 Thanksgiving Cruise Bahamas
Stephandy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #24
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

I was going to ask the same question! Our only son will have just turned 4 for our first cruise in feb 2014, and its great to here positive stories about the kids club. He's shy, and I would just feel so bad if he didn't have a good time, like I was being extremely selfish, so its nice to here all the positive experiences. I may consider it now, especially if I can find him a friend to go with him before hand.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #25
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

Generally speaking, kids clubs on cruise ships can be a great experience for any child. However, the Disney cruise kids clubs are a whole different animal. They take kids clubs to a whole different level and are unbelievably amazing! They are truly the gold-standard of kids clubs. My son wouldn't leave at midnight, I had to wait until closing time 1am.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #26
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

I think the problem is that people tend to see the clubs as "babysitting", with all the baggage that entails when we hire babysitters as home. The clubs are to babysitting what the adult areas of the ship are to adult-sitting: they are a dedicated space designed for a specific audience, paid for by cruise fare, with the intention of maximizing one's enjoyment of a vacation. The CMs are part of that and will do everything they can to get the children engaged and having fun, much like the CMs who run the pool games at Quiet Cove.

And, as much as the nursery is called babysitting by DCL itself, I think the CMs in there get underestimated, too. DD had an AMAZING time and we still have the folder of stuff she made with the CMs while she was in there--so there are activities for the toddlers along the lines of the clubs that is above and beyond merely paying someone to watch your child. I think the $6/hour is a steal given what we get in return.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: