Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

We got up earlier than any of would have like after such a long day the day before. But we had an 8:20 breakfast reservation, so it was worth it. We got ready and headed to the bus stop and only had to wait a few minutes for our bus. The bus was basically empty, there was only one other family on it.

Pretty soon we were entering a nearly empty Epcot!

Of course we stopped for a few pictures, but we arrived at the park a little later than we had planned and didn't want to be late for our ADR, so we didn't get to take that many.

It was strange to walk through such an empty park, but was also amazing.

So where were we eating?

Akershus, of course. Do you think I would pass up the chance to meet my favorite Disney princesses?

We checked in and waited about 5 minutes. There were 2 families in line behind us, both with little girls dressed like Belle. They both got excited when they saw each other, it was adorable. While we were waiting, Mom took the opportunity to take some more empty Epcot photos.

We didn't have to wait long before they called our name and then we got in line to meet Belle. I was very excited, Belle is my favorite princess and I knew that it is hard to find her in her yellow dress in the parks, so I couldn't wait. Finally it was our turn to meet her! We chatted and then posed for pictures for my parents (I handed my camera to Dad and Mom had hers) and then the photographer took a few. I was worried that we would be rushed through taking a pictures with Belle so they could get families into the restaurant faster, but we were able to take our time. While we were waiting, we were told that the photographer would take a few shots, (you get a free print out picture with Belle with the meal) but we could take as many pictures as we wanted with our own cameras.

This is a picture that Mom took, the print out one came out better, but it is at home (not school) so I can't scan it.

After meeting Belle, we were seated in a side room that is right next to the cold buffet. Our waitress toom our drink order (coffee for Dad and apple juice for Mom and I), explained how breakfast would be served, and told us that we had a little time before the Princesses got to us so we had plenty of time to get our food.

The restaurant is beautiful, I love that it looks like the inside of a castle. And they still had Christmas decorations up.

We got our food from the cold buffet. I got a croissant, some strawberries and blackberries, and a cinnamon bun. My parents got similar things and few other pastries. There was also bagels and spreads (which I didn't take because I wanted to save room for the hot food) and cold meats and cheese (which don't seem very breakfasty to me). The croissant was delicious, very flakey and buttery, and the cinnamon bun was ok, but I'm not a big fan of cold cinnamon buns. Mom got some sort of chocolate pastry that she said was very good. A few minutes later, our waitress brought out the hot platter, which had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and cheesy potatoes.
I forgot to take a picuture of my plate, but Mom remembered after she ate like half of hers.

The bacon and eggs were good, the sausage was good but a little to spicy for me, and the potatoes were amazing! They were so creamy and delicious, I could have eaten an entire plate of just those.

Not long after we got our food, the first princess showed up. Cinderella!

I was surprised to see her becuase the Disney site specifically says that she doesn't appear at Akershus. But I'm glad she was, I love her and she was so sweet! She asked about my mouse friend on my shirt (I was wearing a Minnie shirt). We took a picture and then she gave me a hug and told me to have a magical day.

A few minutes after Cinderella left, the announcement for the parade started. Aurora was at the table next to us, but I wasn't expecting her to come over to us becuase of the parade. I wish she had waited becuase she was so rushed. It was basically, "Hello, let's take a picture, pose this way, good-bye." Definitely not one of the best interactions.

We had a little break before the next princess showed up. Snow White!

I love her, but I was a little disappointed with the interaction, although she was much better than Aurora. She asked about my mice friends (because of my Minnie shirt). Mom really likes Snow White too, so she wanted to get a picture with her also.

Ariel was next. She was so perfect! She was very bubbly and excited, just how I pictured Ariel to be.

We chatted for a little while at the table (I don't remember what it was about thought) and she told me to "swim on over" for a picture.

She spotted Dad's "I'm celebrating" button (mine was on my backpack) and asked if we were celebrating anything. I told her about my college graduation and she got super excited and asked a bunch more questions. I think she was the best character interaction we had for our entire trip.
She went to the table next to us with a little girl and her baby sister. They had the cutest interaction and she kept calling the baby "baby guppy", adorable.

At that point we had finished our second platter of food, and were stuffed. But Mom and I still had room for another croissant from the cold bar, they were just so delicious.

Now, it's time to start our day at Epcot!

First Trip, December 2004
Graduation Trip, January 2013: PTR, TR
Solo Trip, April 2015: PTR (in progress)
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

I am very much enjoying your trip report and it is bringing memories of our trip. I felt the same as you did the first day. It felt much warmer than it really was but I loved it and adjusted really quickly. It was better than the cold and snow at home. Looking forward to the rest of you TR. Hope school is going well and your dorm is quiet!

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishes2you View Post
I am very much enjoying your trip report and it is bringing memories of our trip. I felt the same as you did the first day. It felt much warmer than it really was but I loved it and adjusted really quickly. It was better than the cold and snow at home. Looking forward to the rest of you TR. Hope school is going well and your dorm is quiet!
Thank you! The weather was so perfect, nice and warm but not too hot. It was definitely better than the snowy cold.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

It was a little after 9 when we finished breakfast. World Showcase was still empty since it wasn't open yet, so we got a few more empty park photos.

My knee was still bothering me, so I took some ibeprofen, which helped. We went over to test track to get some fast passes. Good thing we did, because a CM was telling everyone that it was down for an unknown length of time. Next, we headed over to The Land to ride Soarin.

I think the wait time was 20 minutes, but we didn't wait that long. We ended up on the right side in the front row of the top section. That ride is amazing, very realistic and breathtaking.

We went on Living with the Land after that. The ride kept stopping, but the audio kept going, so once we finally were moving the audio didn't match up with what we were seeing. We all thought that the ride was kind of boring and long (yes I realize that we were on it longer becuase of the constant stops, but still) The greenhouse part was kind of interesting though, and pretty.

Our next stop was The Seas with Nemo and Friends

I love Finding Nemo, it is one of my favorite movies. We split up into 2 clamshells, we weren't going to make the same mistake that we did at Journey of the Little Mermaid. The ride is very cute. I understand why kids are so scared of the part with the light fish, it even jumped me. A little boy in the shell next to me started screaming and crying when they went by it, I felt so bad for him.

Our fast pass window had opened at that point, so we went over to Test Track to see if it was running yet. It was! We didn't have to wait that long and opted to skip the design your own car part. Mom actually went on it with us, (shocking, I know) she said it would feel just like riding in a car (ya ok). She did like it, although when we went around the curves outside she did grab my leg pretty hard. I like the ride, but I think the old version was better. I think the part inside is kind of boring now.

After Test Track, we stopped in Mouse Gears, because who doesn't love looking at all sorts of Disney merchandise? At that point I was starting to give up on finding the Minnie ears I wanted and was considering just getting a pair of sequin ones. But then I found them, they were exactly what I wanted! I got those and Mom decided to get a pair of sequin ears also.

Our next stop was Spaceship Earth.

We waited in line for about 5 or 10 minutes, I think. But it gave me an opportunity to take some cool pictures of the bottom of "the giant golfball" (also known as Spaceship Earth)

Just as we were going up the first hill, the ride stopped. I guess we weren't having very good luck that day. Luckily it started again a few minutes later. We traveled through time and stopped again as we were going backwards down the hill, through the stars. But, we got to create our futures while we were waiting. Our futures ended up being very similar. Don't mind my horrible photo or the holes in Dad's head.

After taking a glimpse into our futures, we wondered around. And I took a picture of a fountain.

Then we took a Journey into our Imagination with Figment

That ride is very cute, and the song is super catchy, I was singing it for the rest of the day.

Mom wanted to see Captain EO after, (her and Dad saw it on their honeymoon) so we did. We had to wait a little while in the waiting room thing. It had a slanted floor and standing on it for so long was making my feet and my knee hurt. I personally thought the movie was dumb, the plot didn't make much sense, it was super cheesy, and way too long. I was ready for it to be over pretty much as soon as it started. Mom and Dad weren't that impressed either.

It was around 2:30 by then and we were all getting tired and my feet hurt. We decided to go back to the resort for a little while and rest so we could enjoy Extra Magic Hours that night. Me knee was bothering me again, so I took more ibeprofen.

We were all getting hungry, so we decided to get a snack from River Mill. Dad wanted more coffee (he normally drinks like 5 cups a day) so he walked to the room to grab our mugs. Mom and I looked around the store quickly and went to River Mill to wait. We all decided to get ice cream sundaes. I was looking at the flavors in the ice cream freezer and ordered mint chocolate chip. I don't think the CM heard me say mint because she very rudely told me "that's not chocolate chip, it's cookie dough" even though I was staring at a tub of green ice cream labled mint chocolate chip. I didn't say anything and told her that cookie dough was fine, mainly because I like cookie dough better and would have ordered it anyway if I had known it was an option. We sat down at a table and I realized that my ice cream wasn't cookie dough, it was cookies and cream. I'm not a huge fan of cookies and cream ice cream, it was ok and I ate it, but I much rather would have had mint chocolate chip.

We finished our ice cream and then filled our mugs. My parents got coffee and I got hot chocolate. We went back to our room and just relaxed, I'm pretty sure I ended up dozing off for a few minutes.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

It must have been nice to be in the park with not many people there. It is great for taking photos. Felicia wanted to do breakfast in one of the parks for that very reason and we didn't. Next time. What did you use for transportation that early to get there? Waiting to hear more. Oh and I hope your knee didn't get to bad!

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It must have been nice to be in the park with not many people there. It is great for taking photos. Felicia wanted to do breakfast in one of the parks for that very reason and we didn't. Next time. What did you use for transportation that early to get there? Waiting to hear more. Oh and I hope your knee didn't get to bad!
It was really fun to be in the park before it actually opened. I would like to do an early breakfast at Magic Kingdom some day, it must be so magical to walk down main street with barely anyone else around. We just took the Disney busses, they start running at 7:30 every day.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #22
eagillinois
Mouseketeer

Great pictures and TR, We are staying at POR for the first time in May to celebrate my DD HS graduation. Now I am thinking I should upgrade rooms !
Old 02-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

After a couple hours of relaxing, we headed back to Epcot for our 5:40 dinner reservations at Chefs de France. It was around 5:20 when we got to France and asked if we could check in that early and they said they could take us right away. That restaurant is gorgeous! We were seated to the side, next to the bar where they make the desserts.

We looked over the menu and ordered, we all decided to order from the prix fix menu. So, we got an appetizer included with the meal, and sense we were on the DDP it didn't cost any extra. While we were waiting for our food, the chef stopped by our table.

Remy! The CM going around with him was very funny. Mom asked Remy if she could take a picture of him and the CM said of course, put the cover over Remy, and posed for her.

Shortly after our visit from Remy, our appetizers came out. Mom got french onion soup, which she said was very good. Dad got a salad, I believe, which he said was good, but not anything special. I forgot to get pictures of their appetizers, oops. I got the lobster bisque

It was delicious, very rich and creamy. I wish it had more chunks of lobster in it though.

For entrees, I got pasta au gratin

The best macaroni and cheese ever. It was so creamy and yummy and the sauce was just perfect and the melted cheese on top made it even better. Unfortunately, I only ate about half of it because I was stuffed.
Mom got short ribs with pasta

She said it was really good, but it was like pot roast and she was expecting it to be more like steak, but she still enjoyed it.
Dad got half a chicken with potatoes and broccoli.

He said the chicken was very dry, the broccoli was cold, and the potatoes were ok. Basically, he didn't like his meal at all.
For dessert I got chocolate mousse because I was still full and just wanted something light.

It was very tasty. It came with a slice of pound cake, which I didn't eat because I didn't want my stomach to explode. I took a bite of it and thought it was kind of dry and tasteless, but I'm not a huge fan of pound cake anyway.
Mom and Dad both got the puff choux

Mom said it was good, Dad said it was gross.

After dinner we wandered around that side of World Showcase. We got to the UK and there was a Beatles cover band playing. We went into one of the shops next to them, and could still hear the music. We were wandering around inside and happened to find these guys dancing in a back room!

There was basically no line, so of course I hopped in it! I think there were only 2 families in front of me. When it was my turn, I went and gave Pooh a hug and he started dancing with me.

Then he grabbed my hand and put his other hand on my shoulder, like you would if you were waltzing or something and we danced some more.

And Tigger joined us for some photos.

After taking a bunch of pictures, Pooh gave me another hug and then kissed me on the cheek. Then Tigger grabbed my hand and we all danced some more.

And of course, I had to give Tigger a hug too

Then we said good-bye. It was the cutest thing ever! I'm so glad we happened to be in the right place at the right time and found them. What is better than getting hugs from Pooh and Tigger, dancing with Pooh, and getting a kiss from Pooh?

After making some new friends, we explored the UK a little more and of course had to take some pictures in a phone booth.

Then we headed over to Soarin to use the fast passes we had gotten that afternoon. And took some gorgeous pictures on the way.

We only had to wait in line for a few minutes and were seated in the front row of the top section again, but this time we were on the left. Once again, it was amazing. It was cool to see it from the opposite side as we were on before.

After Soarin, we went to Club Cool. I told Mom that I had read on Dis that Beverly was delicious and convinced her to try it. She said she didn't believe me, but tried it anyway. Once she recovered from the taste, she yelled "Jessica Renee" at me, you know I got her good when she breaks out the middle name. A lot of the flavors had signs on them saying they were unavailable, so we only tried a few before leaving.

Then we decided to go on a search for a spot to watch Illuminations.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #24
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Looks like a really fun first two days! You got a ton done at the Magic Kingdom extra magic hours, that's awesome. And your fireworks pics are gorgeous. I also really appreciated reading your report of your early Akershus breakfast, because I have an 8:05am reservation there in about two weeks! I can't wait to get some pictures of the park when it's empty like that
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #25
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

It was about 8:30 when we decided to find a spot for Illuminations. We didn't even attempt to fight the crowds and go into World Showcase. We ended up finding a decent spot on a path that went around the back of a building across from the American Pavillion, next to the handicap veiwing and one of the torches. I'm sorry if that is confusing, but I don't know how else to explain in. We didn't want to squish in with people, so we stood against a the railing on the opposite side of the path. About 15 minutes before it started, Mom and I went across the path to stand with the crowd of people so we could have a good view. Dad stayed against the railing because he hates crowds and isn't a huge fan of fireworks anyway. I ended up standing right behind a stroller, so I had an unobstructed view. Once Illuminations started the girl (about 12 years old?) standing next to me kept pushing into me, like she was hoping I would move over and she could take my spot. Not even 5 minutes into Illuminations, I noticed the battery icon on my camera was flashing, so I had to keep turning my camera off and back on to take pictures. Therefore, I didn't get as many good pics as I would have liked.

It was cool, but a lot shorter than I thought it would be. On our first trip, we saw the holiday version of Illuminations, so we were expecting something similar this time and it was a bit of a let down. I'm glad we didn't miss it, but its not something I felt the need to see again this trip. And it doesn't come close to the amazingness of Wishes.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

You are doing a great job with your TR. Looking forward to hearing more. I totally agree with your last comment. I like Illuminations but not as much. I could watch Wishes every night. That is how I get my Disney fix when I am at home. I watch or just listen to it on Youtube. I know CRAZY!
I wish I got lucky and got to see Winnie the pooh and Tigger. Loved how you were dancing with them that is great. It was funny when I saw you in the phone booths I laughed. I have photos of my daughter in them too. We were there on Tuesday (1/8) of our trip.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great TR!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You are doing a great job with your TR. Looking forward to hearing more. I totally agree with your last comment. I like Illuminations but not as much. I could watch Wishes every night. That is how I get my Disney fix when I am at home. I watch or just listen to it on Youtube. I know CRAZY!
I wish I got lucky and got to see Winnie the pooh and Tigger. Loved how you were dancing with them that is great. It was funny when I saw you in the phone booths I laughed. I have photos of my daughter in them too. We were there on Tuesday (1/8) of our trip.
Thank you! I'm glad you are enjoying it! I agree that I could watch Wishes over and over. And the castle show right before it, Celebrate the Magic, I could watch a million times. Meeting Pooh and Tigger was such a magical moment, it was so wonderful to get lucky and find them like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great TR!
Thank you, I'm glad to here that you are enjoying it!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #29
PippiDancer
Mouseketeer

Once Illuminations was over, we fought the crowds to get into World Showcase. We eventually managed to get to the first country, Mexico.

And took shelter in there while the crowds passed.

We went on the Gran Fiesta Tour. Not only was it walk on, but the rest of our boat and the ones in front of and behind it was empty.

After that, we braved leaving the Mexico pavillion to find that the flood of people leaving the park had passed already (thank goodness). In fact, we were basically the only people around.

Next we went to Norway and rode Maelstrom. Mom got pretty nervous when she read the ride description and saw that it had a drop, but went on it anyway and was fine. After that we headed over to China.

It was pretty much closed up except for one shop in the back of the pavillion, so we looked around in there for a little while. The Africa area was completely closed down, so we walked through that and into Germany. We wandered around the stores in Germany for a little while and looked at all of the gorgeous things in the crystal store. Including this stunning Castle model.

After looking around Germany we decided to head out of World Showcase. Everything was either closed or closing and it was too dark to enjoy any of the themeing. Since we had only seen half of it we decided to come back to Epcot on one of our unscheduled nights to see the rest. On our way out, they closed the bridge between Africa and Norway so they could move all of the Illumination barges out of the lagoon. So we waited and it was kind of cool to see the barges up close.

I wanted to ride Test Track again because, as I've said before, I love going on fast rides at night. I think the posted wait time was 20 minutes (maybe?) which was pretty accurate. We were planning on skipping the design-your-own-car thing like we did earlier, but it wasn't an option in the stand-by line. So, I designed a bright pink car with flowers (of course). Once again it was a fun ride, the dark definitely makes it better. By the time we got off the ride, it was after 11 and the park was closed. My knee had started bothering me again while we were in line and at this point it hurt so much that I was basically limping. Our bus line was pretty long and we had to wait for the second bus, which didn't take too long. Luckily I got a seat, I didn't want to have to stand with my knee hurting as much as it did. We got back to our room around midnight. I took some ibeprofen, slathered my knee with biofreeze, and we watched a little TV before crashing.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #30
NatalieCA
Earning My Ears

Love this trip report!!!!!! Will be following....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: