Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #16
Lisavince3
Mouseketeer

We just did WDW pre-cruise. I think with my anticipation of the cruise I also had the "are we there yet?" feeling and couldn't fully appreciate our time in WDW. Also, for the first time ever, I agree with PP, the parks seemed a bit dirty and many areas were looking outdated. I was thrilled to later see the immaculate Dream and it was such a fun, relaxing way to end our trip!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

We've also done it both ways. Preferred the parks after the cruise, otherwise it was just too depressing to get off the boat!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
closetmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #18
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We've done it both ways, and after 9 cruises, we've found the best for us is to do 2 days before the cruise & 3 to 4 days at WDW after the cruise. It's a 12 hour drive for us, so getting to WDW a bit early goes along way for our pre-cruise psych. Then spending a few days at the parks & the resort pools is a good way to chill out before driving home . Trust me directly home after getting off the ship is no picnic .
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #19
my2princessgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
We've also done it both ways. Preferred the parks after the cruise, otherwise it was just too depressing to get off the boat!
Same here! Our first cruise we did a week WDW first, followed by an Eastern cruise, then home. We were so sad leaving the ship!

The second cruise we did a week at WDW, followed by an Eastern cruise, then a couple more days at WDW. This was better since it gave us something to look forward to.

Last year we did an Eastern cruise followed by a week at WDW and it was so much better! We weren't tired starting out the cruise from being at WDW all week, and we had something to look forward to getting off of the ship. We will be doing the same thing in May except that we are finally trying the Western itinerary.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #20
mom2jcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls
Of course you have to do what logistically makes the most sense for your family and situation.
Personally we wouldn't do WDW after the cruise again.
When we did the parks before, we were excited, and the lines didn't seems so long.
Afterwards there were a few things we noticed.
1) We still had sea legs and didn't feel great. Some of the rides weren't pleasant
2) We felt so relaxed and wonderful coming off the cruise, but 2 days in the parks and we were frazzled again!
3) We had never noticed before at wdw, but after the cruise the parks seemed dirty? I don't know...just not so sparkling!
4) The accommodation also seemed cheap and old. Guess we were just spoilt!
5) Suddenly you feel the food is really expensive! I remember having a counter service breakfast the first morning - kids had a waffle and it came with a couple of pieces of bacon. Our youngest said 'Please can I go back for some more bacon' But that was not an option! They'd got used to the cruising' style!

We still had a good time, but it was not as 'magical' immediately post-cruise.

Just our experience.
This was our experience as well. We did the four night cruise, then four nights at WDW. We have always felt that service at WDW was extraordinary, but the cruise goes beyond that. Exactly the way I would put it, a little less magical. Plus, it seemed that the cruisers were more polite and well behaved. Our first lunch at WDW, my 9 year old got run over by a large man with a backpack who was trying to get our table. To add to that, I actually ended up with walking pneumonia after the trip. My personal opinion is that is was too much for us, and we decided we would do either/or but never again would we do both. Time of year could have had something to do with it, as Labor Day crowds at WDW were bigger than we were used to when we travel mid September.
mom2jcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
joech
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetmickey View Post
That's what we figured. Plus I don't think we will like the idea of going from a one bed room savannah view to a 299 sq ft room.

1st DCL Oct 13-17
2013 Oct 12 -26 AKV Kidani (1st DCL Oct 13-17)
2012 Dec 22- Jan 3 AKV Kidani
2011 July 13-27 AKV Kidani
2010 Dec 25-30 Disneyland
2009 July 12-24 AKV Kidani
2008 Dec 25-Jan 4 AKV (1st trip home)Christmas 2008 AKV First Trip Home Report with Pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2036527
2008 May 23-26 DVC Getaway Days Travel Expo
2007 Dec 15-29 AKL
2007 March 29-Apr 4 AKL/Contemporary

Last edited by joech; 02-05-2013 at 03:28 PM.
joech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

We like doing the parks after a cruise too! That is what we always do. If you drive yourself and get off the ship as soon as they say you can, you can be at the parks around 9am so you get a full day. We thinks it works our great!
Old 02-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
SunshineCruiser
Mouseketeer

Parks after cruise here too! It seems there are so many schedules and everything that you need to adhere to on the cruise, so it is nice to get that done and then focus on relaxing and not having to be anywhere at a certain time at the parks. You don't want to get home and feel like you need a vacation.
SunshineCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Cats12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCruiser View Post
Parks after cruise here too! It seems there are so many schedules and everything that you need to adhere to on the cruise, so it is nice to get that done and then focus on relaxing and not having to be anywhere at a certain time at the parks. You don't want to get home and feel like you need a vacation.
Really? You DON'T feel like you need a vacation when you get home from WDW? I must be doing it wrong! Anyhow, I prefer to do WDW before, but am going afterward this year due to how the schedule falls. For me, the vacation STARTS when I walk in that fabulous atrium and the travel and parks are behind me. I'm kind of bummed about doing it 'backwards' this year, but maybe when I get home I'll remember to chime in on here how it worked out.

Cats12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Boy, am I glad to have found this thread! I am just off Magic 6night cruise and booked again on board for Feb2014. However, I am planning on straddling the cruise with a couple days of WDW (two before and two after) I haven't yet found an easy to understand way to book this, and since this will only be my second cruise, and first WDW....I am lost! What have I gotten myself into?

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
violetmonarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 PM   #26
huskydogg
Mouseketeer

We've done twice where we put in 4 days at DL after a 7 night cruise and it was a bit too much running around after such a relaxing week. This time, we are doing majority of WDW days first, and then tack on 2 days after to get best of both worlds
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
jmb910
Obsessed with anything Disney!

We always do a few days before and after the cruise at WDW. It is such a letdown when you get off the ship that we need that park time as something to look forward to.

I agree with another poster that said that it is hard to pay for things after you've gotten it on the ship. On our next cruise I went ahead and paid for the Dining Plan, just so that at least feels like it's free even thought I just paid for it ahead of time.

I do agree that the parks are a lot more hectic than the relaxed cruise, but it's still worth it to us to have that to look forward to. It seems to be much harder to get off the ship than it is for us to leave WDW to come home .
Disney Magic Repo Cruise San Juan to Port Canaveral: October 2014 / Disney Magic 7-Night Southern Caribbean: October 2014 / WDW: October 2014 / WDW: May 2014 / WDW: March/April 2014 / WDW: October 2013 / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean: April 2013 / WDW: April 2013 / WDW: September/October 2012 / WDW: June 2012 / Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera: March/April 2012 / WDW: February/March 2012 / Disney Dream 4-Night: October 2011 / WDW: October 2011 / Aulani Resort: August 2011 / WDW: March 2011 / WDW: November 2010 / WDW: October 2010 / WDW: February 2010 / WDW: October/November 2009 / Disney Wonder 4-Night: October 2009 / WDW: May 2009 / DLR: December 2008 / WDW: October 2007 / Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean: April/May 2007 / Disney Wonder 4-Night: December 2006 / WDW: April 2006 / DLR: September 2005 / WDW: Too Many Times to Count 1999-2005

jmb910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
rdw
Mouseketeer

Interesting perspectives here! I think I would also prefer WDW pre-cruise, but since our cruise is Sat-Thurs, works out better for us to go post-cruise. The only thing getting to me is that we will have only one park day and the tickets are so expensive for just one day! But, as long as we are in FL, I really want to do WDW.
rdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribega View Post
One of the many things I see on the DCL threads is that people enjoy going to WDW first then the cruise instead of WDW after the cruise. We booked our first Cruise/WDW trip for this September - 4 night aboard the dream. The WDW before or after issue got me thinking. So I analyzed it.

Cruise then WDW
Sat. - leave house about 6am and drive down to Downtown Disney. Do dinner and other things and then head to hotel by port.
Sun - cruise starts
Thur - cruise ends, drive over to WDW, check in and be to park by 11.
Friday and Saturday - parks
Sunday - a 2-3 hours in park then head home.
So in the above we do a 4 night cruise and 3 nights at WDW. We get two full days at WDW, one mostly full day and then one with a few hours. In this scenario I would only need to take 5 days off from work.

WDW then Cruise.
Thurs - leave house about 6am and drive to WDW. Check in and at parks probably about 3pm.
Friday & Saturday - parks
Sunday - park for 2-3 hours and then to port.
Sunday - Thurs - cruise.
Thurs - leave cruise and then head home.
So in the above we do a 4 night cruise and 3 nights at WDW. We get two full days at WDW, 1 half day, 1 day with a few hours. In this scenario I would need to take 6 days off from work.

Doing the Cruise then WDW seems less rushed and gives us more time plus that little extra time at DTD.

Love to hear comments and other people's experiences.
We did WDW after, and loved it. It was great and we had so much fun. We are active people though, so after relaxing on the ship, we felt very ready for the parks for 3 days. To DH and I, it would feel much worse to leave the ship and head to the airport to go home! We are doing it the same way next year on our cruise (7 night cruise, then 3 nights at WDW)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #30
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

We have just done one cruise so far and we did WDW after the cruise. I like to have the time to relax and be pampered first thing on my vacation. It de-stresses me from real life and the whole scrambling to get ready to go out of town stuff. Then when I am all relaxed and recharged, I get to get off the ship and play at WDW. We are doing the same plan this month.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: