Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
DadLightyear
WearTheYellowBand

Fireworks Cruises...worth it?

I'm toying with the idea of doing either an Illuminations Cruise, or a Magic Kingdom fireworks cruise during our upcoming June trip. Does anyone have any experiences with either? Is it worth the $300+ price tag?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Leafsgirl36
Leafs Fan Forever

We did the Illuminations cruise and loved it...it was money well spent. If you have an annual pass you get a discount which helps with the cost.
Leafsgirl36 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
jkp464
Mouseketeer

We did an Illuminations cruise in 2007 and really enjoyed it. We were there over father's day, so that was our special treat for that night. Because of the cost, I wouldn't do it every trip. But I definitely think it's worth it to try at least once.
jkp464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
DadLightyear
WearTheYellowBand

How close does the boat actually get to the fireworks? We would have a 2, 4, 5, and 8 year old in our party.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
Bellabully
Official Disney Addict

Fireworks Cruise

Did the Illuminations cruise last year and it was totally the highlight of the trip! DH & DD still talk about it!!!

Me DH DD
September 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2011 & June 2012: Boardwalk Villas, April 2013: Beach Club Villas/Boardwalk Villas, April 2014: Beach Club Villas
Bellabully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
travelin' tigger

I've finally met Tigger and I'm doin' the "Super Duper Alley Ooper Loop-de-Looper Bounce"!

Boat parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadLightyear View Post
How close does the boat actually get to the fireworks? We would have a 2, 4, 5, and 8 year old in our party.

All the boats park under the International Gateway bridge (between England and France).

2014: BWV Mar • GFV/BLT Jul ~ 2013: BWV Mar • BWV Jul • OKW Nov ~ 2012: BWV Feb • BCV Aug • OKW Nov ~ 2011: OKW May • AKV Jan ~ 2010: OKW Nov • HR/BCV Aug • ASMu/BCV May • AKV Jan ~ 2009: BWV Dec • OKW Oct • ASMu Sep • Pop July • BWV May • Pop Feb ~ 2008: OKW Nov • BCV Aug • BWV Jun/Jul • BWV Mar ~ 2007: BWV Dec • ASSp/BWV Nov • ASSp/BWV Sep • ASMu May•BWV Mar ~ 2006: BWV Dec • Dolphin Sep/BWV Oct • ASMu Aug • Pop/BCV May • Dolphin/BWV Jan ~ 2005: Swan/HR/OKW Dec • ASMo Sep/BWV Oct • Pop Feb ~ 2004: Swan/RPR Dec • Pop/WL Oct • Safari May • Pop Jan ~ 2003: Dolphin/RPR Nov/Dec • CSR Jun • CBR Jan ~ 2002: POFQ/ASMu Dec • ASSp Jun • ASMu Feb ~ 2001: ASMu Nov

travelin' tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
RedsDrew
Mouseketeer

I have done both the Wishes Fireworks Cruise and the Illuminations Fireworks Cruise. To help you understand the opinions I'm about to express, I am an avid fan of the Magic Kingdom (it's my favorite park), and I LOVE Wishes! While I enjoy EPCOT, I have never been a fan of or felt truly appreciative of Illuminations. For some reason it never had that same "magic" to me.

That being said, I did enjoy the Wishes Fireworks Cruise. However, I personally enjoyed cruising around in the boat on the lake far more than the actual fireworks which were not nearly as impressive from the boat as they are when watching from inside the park in front of the Castle. I truly believe I saw a similar perspective of the Wishes fireworks when I dined at Ohana where they pipe in the music once the show begins. While I enjoyed the Wishes cruise, I can't say that it's worth the cost. In fact, I think I had a much better time at the Wishes Dessert Party which is a huge cost savings - by hundreds of dollars!

However, the Illuminations Fireworks Cruise is a different story. Although Illuminations was not my favorite Disney experience by any means, the boat parked so close to the action that it actually shook with the vibrations. To be so close, yet safely situated took the entire experience up several notches. Additionally, because of where the boats park for Illuminations, we had a clear view of everything. It was literally a front row seat, where as the Wishes fireworks cruise was like watching from the last row in an enormous arena. This fireworks cruise alone changed my whole opinion of Illuminations.

To sum it up: Would I do another fireworks cruise? Yes - but ONLY if it's Illuminations. Otherwise, the Wishes cruise I would say is not worth the price tag. Hope this helps
June 2014 - BWI; May/June 2013 - POR; May/June 2012 - POFQ; Sept 2011 - POFQ for MNSSHP; Nov 2010 - AKL for MMVCP; July 2010 - Pop Century for 4th of July; May/June 2010 - Contemporary; Apr 2010 - CBR; Nov 2009 - POR for MMVCP[/B]
RedsDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
alix1979
Mouseketeer

We did the Wished cruise in 2008 and I would say it's totally worth it. There were only 4 of us I thought it was a little expensive, the boat holds about 8 people I think? If you had a full boat, it would be more value for a money I guess.
We saw the electric parade, got a lovely cruise round with lots of added information from our Captain/guide. There were snacks and soft drinks (you can bring your own beer if so inclined) included.
We even head baby gators clicking when we were "parked" for the fireworks. The view you get off Wishes from the lake is just amazing. I always enjoy the fieworks in the party but it almost seems as though this is the view/angle yuo shoud see them from. And my final favourite bit - no big scrum to exit the park and the get the monorail/boat back to the hotel or carpark. We picked our cruise up from the Poly but there are several choices.
Deffo do it once!
alix1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
left210
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsDrew View Post
I have done both the Wishes Fireworks Cruise and the Illuminations Fireworks Cruise. To help you understand the opinions I'm about to express, I am an avid fan of the Magic Kingdom (it's my favorite park), and I LOVE Wishes! While I enjoy EPCOT, I have never been a fan of or felt truly appreciative of Illuminations. For some reason it never had that same "magic" to me.

That being said, I did enjoy the Wishes Fireworks Cruise. However, I personally enjoyed cruising around in the boat on the lake far more than the actual fireworks which were not nearly as impressive from the boat as they are when watching from inside the park in front of the Castle. I truly believe I saw a similar perspective of the Wishes fireworks when I dined at Ohana where they pipe in the music once the show begins. While I enjoyed the Wishes cruise, I can't say that it's worth the cost. In fact, I think I had a much better time at the Wishes Dessert Party which is a huge cost savings - by hundreds of dollars!

However, the Illuminations Fireworks Cruise is a different story. Although Illuminations was not my favorite Disney experience by any means, the boat parked so close to the action that it actually shook with the vibrations. To be so close, yet safely situated took the entire experience up several notches. Additionally, because of where the boats park for Illuminations, we had a clear view of everything. It was literally a front row seat, where as the Wishes fireworks cruise was like watching from the last row in an enormous arena. This fireworks cruise alone changed my whole opinion of Illuminations.

To sum it up: Would I do another fireworks cruise? Yes - but ONLY if it's Illuminations. Otherwise, the Wishes cruise I would say is not worth the price tag. Hope this helps
Is the Illuminations cruise so close that it is so loud that it would scare a young child?
left210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #10
tessa67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by left210 View Post
Is the Illuminations cruise so close that it is so loud that it would scare a young child?
I think if a child is prone to being scared by fireworks they will be scared almost anywhere you can be to view them well. JMO, but they are pretty loud.
tessa67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
princessesintraining
Mouseketeer

If you are trying to bring down costs, sometimes you can find other parties to help you fill the boat. We are going in September and on the september disney planning facebook page, there is a list of dates and number of people trying to put together a full boat. We have a group of 10 people from 3 different parties that we plan on sharing the cost.
princessesintraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #12
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessesintraining View Post
If you are trying to bring down costs, sometimes you can find other parties to help you fill the boat. We are going in September and on the september disney planning facebook page, there is a list of dates and number of people trying to put together a full boat. We have a group of 10 people from 3 different parties that we plan on sharing the cost.
Ok, newbie to here, but how do you find the Disney September 2013 page on facebook? That right now is when we are planning on going, and would love to talk with others going around the same time.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
left210
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessesintraining View Post
How much are the cruises?
left210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
disneyxo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
Ok, newbie to here, but how do you find the Disney September 2013 page on facebook? That right now is when we are planning on going, and would love to talk with others going around the same time.
There is one on Facebook called -WDW September 2013 Planning- just do a search for it and it should come up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: