Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Has anyone had to use their travel insurance?

Hi! We booked our first cruise for May of 2014 and we bought travel insurance at the same time. Has anyone ever had to use their travel insurance for a medical emergency? If so did they pay the provider directly, or did you have to get reimbursed? It came up and I wasn't able to find a clear answer in my policy. I sent them an email, but I figured I won't hear back for a day or 2. Any information you have would be a huge help. :D thanks!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Just used my travel insurance for the first time ever. I have yearly travel insurance though, so my policy may be a little bit different. As well, I'm Canadian, I know our policies are much different.

I got quite sick on the ship (just got off the Magic a week ago, non flu related), and spent a day and a half getting to know the medical staff quite well. As well, had a ambulance ride to the ER once departing in Texas.

When I was finally able to call the insurance company (from the ship), they told me to go ahead with any treatment necessary. When departing the ship, the medical staff will have all your final paperwork for you for your claim. It is all listed perfectly, with a grand total at the end. You are charged for treatment on the ship, as they can't get in touch or bill your insurance company from the ship. When being discharged from the Galveston ER, they told me to call back with my insurance info. My insurance company contacted the ER and settled the bill for me. I didn't have to deal with any of it. I am being contacted now though for an ambulance bill, which, will be paid for by my insurance company.

The whole process was easy. The one thing to know, treatment on the ship was not cheap. For IV and medications, and for the continuous visit, my bill was just over $2000. And my bill for the ER was an insane amount. It's a good thing my VISA had a high enough limit on it. Just keep that in mind.

Hopefully you don't have to use it. I have always hated paying for insurance, seeing as I have had it for close to 10 years and never used it. The cost of my visit on the ship and to the ER, was much more than I have spent in insurance in 10 years.
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you use the ship's medical center, you are expected to pay on your KTTW account. You are provided with the paperwork you need for reimbursement. They might have a different situation for critical situations where the cost could be thousands...in our case it was under $200 (office visit + meds), and I was promptly reimbursed by the insurance company.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
BeardedDragons
Earning My Ears

We had to use the ships emergency medical service a few weeks ago when my son broke his arms at Castaway. We were given the bill to sign and it was put on ourr KTTW card. I called my insurance provider and was told that unless the medical care was provided by specific providers (none of those being the private care on the ship) that I would have to pay and submit my claim for reimbursement. If the medical care was provided by one of the listed providers, then they would have paid straight to them and I would not have been charged.

---
Magic ~ Jan 2012 | WDW, Off-site ~ Dec 2011 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Jun 2011 | Wonder ~ Dec 2010 | WDW, ASSports ~ Dec 2010 | Altantis ~ May 2010 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Dec 2009 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2008 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2007 | WDW, Off-site ~ Feb 1987
BeardedDragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

DH had a gall bladder attack on the last morning of a cruise, just as we were waiting to disembark in Boston. If you have to have a medical emergency, it's good to do it state-side.

We had to pay for the ship's medical services on our VISA, but our regular health insurance reimbursed us. A blood test on the ship showed DH had acute pancreatitis (we had no idea that the ship's medical services had the technology to do that!) DH was hospitalized in Boston overnight for observation. Hospital coverage was billed directly to our primary health insurance provider, and trip insurance picked up anything that wasn't covered.

The trip insurance company rescheduled our flight home for us, and they covered the change-fee.

Next time we used our trip insurance was when DH blew out a knee and had to have surgery before our european cruise. The doctor didn't want us to travel because of the danger of post-op blood clots from long flights. Hated to miss that cruise, but the knee wouldn't have been strong enough to do any heavy-duty walking through several european ports. We contacted trip insurance and they e-mailed us the necessary forms for the doctor to sign. We were reimbursed the full fare about 2 wks later, to the tune of some $8000.

Missing the cruise was really depressing, but at least we got our $$$$ back and we were able to take the cruise the next summer. I hope we never have to use trip insurance again, but we don't cruise without it.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Thanks for your input everyone. I feel so bad hearing a out your stories, but i'm so glad that everyone is ok.
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: