Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #16
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

MrRay

Did this work for you on your recent cruise? Were you able to text in each port using this method? Was there a port it didn't work in? Anything you can share would be helpful. I was just going to turn Cellular Data off and just not use the phone for any kind of communication. Texting would be nice though. Thanks! (Again, great trip report!)
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
hudson3709
"It started with a mouse"

As said here only turning data off will not suffice as you will still receive text messages and most likely be charged for them.

As stated here put phone in airplane mode and turn wifi back on then use iMessage or one of many other free texting apps. You would of course need to find a wifi spot at the port for this to work.
hudson3709 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #18
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
Did this work for you on your recent cruise? Were you able to text in each port using this method? Was there a port it didn't work in? Anything you can share would be helpful. I was just going to turn Cellular Data off and just not use the phone for any kind of communication. Texting would be nice though. Thanks! (Again, great trip report!)
I haven't done this on a cruise but have done it before. You just need to be connected to wi-fi, so finding that in port is the only tricky part. You can ask the crew, if there is free wi-fi at a port they will know where it is.

iMessage is like using an instant message program like aol, just try to remember that. So as long as you have airplane mode on and are connected to wi-fi you won't get any weird texting charges.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #19
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Some confusion about how data and texting works...

Texts do not use data, as they go through the voice part of phone. The only exception is a data app such as TextPlus, as this works through data; therefore, you need to put an international/roaming text package on your phone, or pay a la carte prices per text. So if you don't turn your phone to the proper settings, you will still receive texts, and you will be charged at a roaming rate/international rate, which could be quite expensive.

As for free wi-fi, we found that on our Western Caribbean cruise in August, there was no free wi-fi anywhere in our ports, except for with purchase of food/drinks. In Cozumel, there is a Starbucks at port, which requires a purchase (no minimum, so you could buy a coffee), and then you are given the code on the bottom of your receipt.

Grand Cayman was a disaster. We got scammed by their big phone company in purchasing phone cards, as we found out after searching for 1 hour from the police at port, that most of the public phones no longer work. We purchased a $7.00 card that went in the garbage. Something with the infrastructure...needless to say, no free wi-fi besides we saw a few restaurants (Margaritaville?) advertising, but they did require food/drink purchases.

In Costa Maya, we heard some people saying that they got free wi-fi after purchasing lunch at Senor Frogz, so not sure about that either?

No free wi-fi on Castaway Cay either.

We used the free wi-fi at Starbucks, and sent emails from the cruise (quick email without photos was about .75 each).

Best of luck, Tiger
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger926 View Post
Some confusion about how data and texting works...

Texts do not use data, as they go through the voice part of phone. The only exception is a data app such as TextPlus, as this works through data; therefore, you need to put an international/roaming text package on your phone, or pay a la carte prices per text. So if you don't turn your phone to the proper settings, you will still receive texts, and you will be charged at a roaming rate/international rate, which could be quite expensive.

As for free wi-fi, we found that on our Western Caribbean cruise in August, there was no free wi-fi anywhere in our ports, except for with purchase of food/drinks. In Cozumel, there is a Starbucks at port, which requires a purchase (no minimum, so you could buy a coffee), and then you are given the code on the bottom of your receipt.

Grand Cayman was a disaster. We got scammed by their big phone company in purchasing phone cards, as we found out after searching for 1 hour from the police at port, that most of the public phones no longer work. We purchased a $7.00 card that went in the garbage. Something with the infrastructure...needless to say, no free wi-fi besides we saw a few restaurants (Margaritaville?) advertising, but they did require food/drink purchases.

In Costa Maya, we heard some people saying that they got free wi-fi after purchasing lunch at Senor Frogz, so not sure about that either?

No free wi-fi on Castaway Cay either.

We used the free wi-fi at Starbucks, and sent emails from the cruise (quick email without photos was about .75 each).

Best of luck, Tiger
Just to piggy back off of this iMessage works as both a data app and texting. If you are in airplane mode with wi-fi on you will not get charged for individual texts.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #21
Tiger926
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay

Just to piggy back off of this iMessage works as both a data app and texting. If you are in airplane mode with wi-fi on you will not get charged for individual texts.
Yup! This is s great feature of iMessage!

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Tiger926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #22
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Just to be clear, you will be charged for phone calls, texts and data usage on the ship when at sea no matter what. That's because you are using the ships celluar (Cellular at Sea) and Wifi, neither of which is free.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #23
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Just to be clear, you will be charged for phone calls, texts and data usage on the ship when at sea no matter what. That's because you are using the ships celluar (Cellular at Sea) and Wifi, neither of which is free.
I was just going to say this, but you beat me to it. Also note that according to AT&T if you turn your phone on internationally at all when its not in airplane mode (for example to set the correct time), ANY calls and texts that go into voice mail after that are treated as if they were received in that country, even if you subsequently turn it on airplane mode. I thought this was ridiculous--I could just see someone texting me a picture, which would be VERY expensive--and so I'm careful to never turn the phone on after landing if I haven't bought a data package. I'm one of those that had a nightmare bill even WITH the data package. Apparently something went wrong and I was charged "accidentally" at higher rates. It was all cleared up eventually, but I had to pay a $600 bill and then have it credited. Now, I just use my iphone as an alarm clock and buy phones with local phone cards when I'm traveling. It's *much* cheaper. For example, in London we bought 3 pound phones and then bought 10 pound top up cards. We still had money left on our cards after a week of calling and texting.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #24
TwingleMomFl
Mouseketeer

I learn so much from these threads! There is never a dumb question! I am sending this while in airplane mode connected to the Internet!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #25
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

The safest thing to do is take out the SIM card and put it in something like an SD card case, the kind you get when you buy SD cards. In the same case, keep a safety pin in it to use when popping the SIM tray out to remove and re-insert the SIM. Keep this case in your wallet or purse and always know where it is, when you decide to put the SIM back into your phone.

There will absolutely be no mistakes as there is no physical connection to your cell carrier. This is really helpful if you let your kids play with your phone and they figure out how to switch airplane mode off.

Wifi will still work. So in wifi zones, you can make calls using the app Talkatone (free) and text using TextPlus (free). Note both apps do not require the receiver to have the app or even a smartphone which is nice.
That worked no problem in our hotel and at the airports.

Because the iPhone has a GPS chip, full GPS apps also work without a SIM. The maps are stored locally but the full-featured apps are not free, eg; TomTom.

Wifi on DCL is expensive and really slow, I am not even sure it will support VoIP like Talkatone.

I'm from Canada, so roaming charges for voice and data are very expensive. My other options beyond the above are to pay for a travel package from my CDN carrier, or, buy a U.S. SIM in my unlocked phone and add PAYG minutes/data.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
moore523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLBDS View Post
Well, you pretty much answered that for me. I just tested that theory. I turned on Airplane mode and turned Cellular Data off and turned wi-fi back on and texting still worked. Interesting. Thanks, folks!
Sorry--soooo not tech savvy here! I'm playing with my phone as I read all of these messages. Turned airplane mode on, turned wifi on--but what is Cellular Data--and where do I find that on an iPhone?

THANKS!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay View Post

Although iMessage can fall back to SMS, if you have airplane mode on, it will only deliver messages to other iMessage users. It will not send messages to to non iMessage recipients.

If you have decent wifi you can actually use apps that work in conjunction with google voice, such as 'talkatone'. Google voice by itself requires a cell connection. Of course you do need a decent wifi connection. The ships won't do it. I was able to place a short call from Nassau last summer.

There is also a similar app for android devices, but I haven't used that in years.

Strongly suggest you play with it at home so you know how it works.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #28
septaboy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore523 View Post
Sorry--soooo not tech savvy here! I'm playing with my phone as I read all of these messages. Turned airplane mode on, turned wifi on--but what is Cellular Data--and where do I find that on an iPhone?

THANKS!
Settings - General- Cellular

Switch Cellular Data to off

Make sure Data Roaming is off while you are in the Cellular setting.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #29
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by septaboy View Post
Settings - General- Cellular

Switch Cellular Data to off

Make sure Data Roaming is off while you are in the Cellular setting.
Airplane mode turns all cellular (local and roaming) off. Also, SMS come in via the cellular voice network. If you turn off airplane, any txt messages backed up will pour in at 5-10c a pop. No way to prevent it.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore523 View Post

THANKS!
Airplane mode is the software equivalent of taking the SIM card out.
Turn wifi ON and you're good to go.

You don't need to find or do anything to Cellular Data.

However, I do recommend turning "Data Roaming" OFF, and "Cell carrier" set to your subscribed carrier, not "Auto". Doing both will prevent or at least the phone will ask you to accept changing carriers and letting data/calls/texts come through should you inadvertently toggle Airplane mode and turn everything back on.

Since our kids play with our phones, I prefer to take the SIM cards right out.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: