Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Ports without doing excursions?

We're super lazy beach people so is it possible to just hang out by the beach and in the water and eat and drink? I'm looking at the 7 night Eastern Caribbean in Jan 2014 if that makes a difference as far as weather. The most I see us doing is renting a bike or some floats for the ocean.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I have yet to do our Eastern cruise but my understanding is that you don't have to join an excursion to get to the beach but you'll need to find way to get there. They are not walking distance from the ship in port, except Castaway Cay.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni
I have yet to do our Eastern cruise but my understanding is that you don't have to join an excursion to get to the beach but you'll need to find way to get there. They are not walking distance from the ship in port, except Castaway Cay.
We haven't been on a cruise like this but wouldn't the cruise folks supply a boat to get us from the ship to the beach?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 AM   #4
lorenni
DIS Veteran

Not exactly - they get you to the port. Sometimes that's a city center. So yes they will put you ashore - but not necessarily anywhere near a beach.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenni
Not exactly - they get you to the port. Sometimes that's a city center. So yes they will put you ashore - but not necessarily anywhere near a beach.
Oh ok....I figured all ports are near the beach on the Eastern Caribbean. Clearly I have tons more research to do. Thank you.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

You need to research the ports. There are always taxi's at the port. We have often just taken a taxi to the beach but you need to do your research and find out where to go and where not to go. Often there are excursions that are very cheep that take you to the beach and back. If you book these through the cruise line you will not be left behind if something goes wrong. You will not be the person standing on the peer waving at the ship to stop.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
neg58
DIS Veteran

On St. Maarten, you port in the capital of the Dutch side, Phillipsburg, and yes, there is a beach right there with walking distance or a boat taxi. Lots of other beaches within a taxi ride.

In St. Thomas, it is more of a city but you can get to beaches by taxi or excursion.

On CC, just walk off...

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAndNick View Post
You need to research the ports. There are always taxi's at the port. We have often just taken a taxi to the beach but you need to do your research and find out where to go and where not to go. Often there are excursions that are very cheep that take you to the beach and back. If you book these through the cruise line you will not be left behind if something goes wrong. You will not be the person standing on the peer waving at the ship to stop.

Yes, we don't want to be those people waving goodbye as the ship pulls away from us. I'll have to look more into the excursions. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
On St. Maarten, you port in the capital of the Dutch side, Phillipsburg, and yes, there is a beach right there with walking distance or a boat taxi. Lots of other beaches within a taxi ride.

In St. Thomas, it is more of a city but you can get to beaches by taxi or excursion.

On CC, just walk off...

Nancy

Nancy.

Does the ship give us towels for the beaches or should we pack them?

Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
SnowWhite2
DIS Veteran

Take them from the pool deck and return them at the dock prior to getting back on board. There should be a big cage for returning used towels.

December 28, 2014 NYE Magic
November 10, 2014 Dream double-dip
June 9, 2014 Alaska Wonder
December 28, 2013 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2012 NYE Fantasy
December 29, 2011 NYE Dream
December 26, 2009 NYE Magic
December 20, 2008 Christmas Magic
February 2, 2008 Eastern Magic
February 3, 2007 Eastern Magic
April 15, 2006 Western Magic
February 2003 Eastern Magic
SnowWhite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Check out going to "Airport Beach" at one of the ports...I don't remember which one, but you can take a taxi there and the planes are really close to the ground, I heard its really cool.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
Check out going to "Airport Beach" at one of the ports...I don't remember which one, but you can take a taxi there and the planes are really close to the ground, I heard its really cool.
This is Maho Beach in St. Maarten.

OP, you should do your research on possible beaches in each port. The ship docks at a port area. Depending on the port, there are sometimes beach areas nearby, HOWEVER keep in mind that there is a lot of poverty in the Caribbean and not necessarily the equivalent of the EPA. I want to say it is St. Maarten that has a beach near the port that has had problems with sewage contamination coming out into the water near that beach, so you do not want to swim there.

IMO, the Cruise Critic forums are more helpful regarding specific ports, and you can find a lot of info there.

I've never been to a port that did not have taxi drivers waiting to take you somewhere. The trick is being sure that wherever you go, there will be taxis at the beach waiting to take you back to the ship. You can find out more re: specific ports with some more research.

Also be aware that many ports will have local hotels that issue "day passes." You can take a taxi to the hotel, and have use of their changing facilities, restrooms, pools, and beach area. There are taxis available outside the hotels to take you back to the ship. That's one relatively "low risk" way to just bum out at the beach for the day.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: