Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

I get seasick just looking at a picture of the ocean and I loved my first cruise! I took Bonine and felt just fine the whole time except the first night. Apparently it was unusually rough, though. They had to close the pools because the water kept sloshing out and the deck chairs were flying across the deck. That was the only night I felt ill, although I took Bonine the whole time. I also had several cocktails over the course of each day and usually a glass of wine with dinner. I did not attempt to drive while I was indulging.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallastxcpa View Post
Okay, so look here missy.... No helping the captain drive the cruise ship while you are mixin your bonine and booze.

I was going to say the same thing. I don't drink often and most medications put me to sleep. I'm a lightweight when it comes to that. However, I take Bonine every morning on the ship and the only time I usually have a glass of wine is on the cruise. I have never experienced any problems with either.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore523 View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I'll just take it slow and enjoy a sip, or a gulp, here and there!

As for cruising-- we have never cruised at all--on any ship! I LOVE the idea of a cruise and just decided to bite the bullet and hope for the best! I can't even ride a carousel, lol, without getting a little dizzy. But, I do okay flying, I do okay on boats--like on a lake, etc--so I'm hopeful this won't bother me! I've just read that if you THINK you might get sick--go ahead and take the meds--as if you wait until you are sick--they don't work as well. ?? Our cruise is only 3 days--so we do stop a lot! I was just going to start taking the meds the night before our cruise and do it every night!

As for the bands, I had heard of them and read some good reviews and some bad--so I got nervous about using them. Bonine seems to have pretty good reviews all around.
I get sick just thinking about a merry go round! Anything that goes in a circle, backwards or upside down will have me doing the technicolor yawn. I also get carsick and seasick. All that said, I love cruising and it rarely causes me problems.

I take Bonine EVERY day starting the morning of the cruise prior to boarding the ship (yes, I drink when and if I want to). Minor seasickness seems to be taken care of by the Bonine but if we are REALLY moving (major storms or Gulf of Alaska after Labor Day) nothing helps but staying in bed until we are in calmer waters.

Schmoo is right, there are interactions between certain drugs and alcohol and you need to understand their impact on you prior to your cruise. You don't want to spend half of a three day cruise asleep because you wanted a glass of wine. Test it out before hand and then enjoy!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds_mommy View Post
tequila cures everything
In just three words you have imparted perhaps the most sage advice I have ever read on these boards. Truer words have never been spoken!
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
klepton
Mouseketeer

I generally don't get seasick, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

I would stay away from mixing Bonine and alcohol. That can cause stomach problems by itself. One guy I met on a cruise was constantly feeling nauseous, and just thought he was prone to motion sickness. About day 5 of the cruise he mentioned, while guzzling down his 5th or 6th beer at a port bar, that he had been taking bonine morning and night, so couldn't understand why he was still getting seasick. I told him to not take bonine for the next 24 hours, and sure enough the rest of the cruise he felt 100% better. Turns out the combination of bonine and alcohol is what was making him sick, but he thought it was motion.

It's my opinion that drinking alcohol when you don't feel the effects of motion sickness can actually deaden your senses a bit, and you won't feel the effect as much. I have cruised in some very rough seas, where everyone around me was having a very tough time. I attribute my resistance to the fact that I got to a slightly buzzed state before hand, and kept it until I passed out. In some cases, it may have been more than a slight buzz... :-)

If you get sick before you've consumed any alcohol, you won't want a drink anyway; but even if you do I'd stay away from it. Go out on deck, or your veranda, feel the breeze, and look out over the horizon.

Best advice I've seen on this thread, and this is true no matter what else you do, drink lots of water. It's way easier than you'd think to get dehydrated on a cruise. Dehydration will make your stomach upset, cause vomiting, etc. I'm sure many people who claim to get seasick were really just dehydrated. My rule is one glass of water between each alcoholic drink.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #21
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Okay, I take Bonine and have a few cocktails and am fine. An alternative to Bonine is ginger capsules. Works great for seasickness and you can drink alcohol with no side effects. Get ginger caps at your local health food store.
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #22
quiltymom
Ears to you, kids!
Recognize the differences; experience it with open arms.

Now i know why i got so sick on my last cruise. i had a konk cooler (or however you spell them!) on CC, then got violently ill that evening and spent the sea day and the last day of our cruse sick as a dog. I should add that it was the only alcohol I had on the trip. The seas were pretty rough that night, so the combo of Bonine, sugar, alcohol and motion did me in.

We just booked our next cruise, and I have promised myself NO alcohol at all. I'd rather forgo it and enjoy my cruise. I'll just stick with fizzy water and lime, thank you!

I think may also depend upon your stomach in general. I know that if I have a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner (which is a very rare occurrence), then I cannot have dessert. Sugar + alcohol = a very angry stomach. I should've known better because of this. Live and learn
DCL: 10/18-22/09, 4/13-17/14; POP: 10/22-24/09; POR: 10/13-20/07; WL: 3/28/05 - 4/2/05. Many visits to Disneyland, including Grad Nite '77, 6/02, 7/03, 7/11/05, 7/18/06 & 6/30-7/1/08, 7/12, GCH 8/9-11/10.
quiltymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #23
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore523 View Post
Thanks everyone! I think I'll just take it slow and enjoy a sip, or a gulp, here and there!

As for cruising-- we have never cruised at all--on any ship! I LOVE the idea of a cruise and just decided to bite the bullet and hope for the best! I can't even ride a carousel, lol, without getting a little dizzy. But, I do okay flying, I do okay on boats--like on a lake, etc--so I'm hopeful this won't bother me! I've just read that if you THINK you might get sick--go ahead and take the meds--as if you wait until you are sick--they don't work as well. ?? Our cruise is only 3 days--so we do stop a lot! I was just going to start taking the meds the night before our cruise and do it every night!

As for the bands, I had heard of them and read some good reviews and some bad--so I got nervous about using them. Bonine seems to have pretty good reviews all around.
We start chewing ginger chews a couple days before our cruise and on the cruise. And if anybody isn't feeling well, they put on seabands. Has worked well for us.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
tfiga1
Mouseketeer

My husband gets motion sickness like crazy. He took 2 Bonine every night and had quite a few drinks. No problems whatsoever. He did limit it to just a few drinks and never got drunk.
tfiga1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #25
Seahunt
DIS Veteran

I posted this over on CC and thought I would mention it here too since I think I actually read about it here first. I get very motion sick , and I have always been a Bonine user, but I tried "MotionEaze" on our last cruise and loved it... even better than Bonine.

Two drops behind each ear every day and I was good to go - to order some Pina Coladas LOL.

It's an all natural oil, and you just put two drops behind each ear. I think it would be perfect for kids because you can use it after symptoms start (with relief within 3 minutes). So if you don't know how your kids will handle cruising, but don't want to give them a pill, you might want to take this along and try it. The only "con" is when you first put it on it smells like lavender, but that fades quickly.

If you want to try it you can get it at Walmart, Amazon, drugstore, etc.:

http://www.motioneaze.com/motioneaze...ckness-relief/

Seahunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #26
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post
I posted this over on CC and thought I would mention it here too since I think I actually read about it here first. I get very motion sick , and I have always been a Bonine user, but I tried "MotionEaze" on our last cruise and loved it... even better than Bonine.

Two drops behind each ear every day and I was good to go - to order some Pina Coladas LOL.

It's an all natural oil, and you just put two drops behind each ear. I think it would be perfect for kids because you can use it after symptoms start (with relief within 3 minutes). So if you don't know how your kids will handle cruising, but don't want to give them a pill, you might want to take this along and try it. The only "con" is when you first put it on it smells like lavender, but that fades quickly.

Hmmmm? I found it smells a bit like eucalyptus.

As the mom, I brought all sorts of sea sickness stuff on the first cruise that we took everyone on (besides DH & me). I had MotionEze, ginger pills, bonine. Only time we had to use any of it was the second to last night, DS23 was looking a bit green around the gills. He took a Bonine. He went back to the room and laid down, slept for like 12 hours and felt fine when he woke up.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
moore523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunt View Post

OH, thanks for sharing that with me. My kids and hub are not prone to motion sickness at all--but I feel like I need to have something on hand, just in case! I'll definitely get that! Thank you!!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
TinkGirl
DIS Veteran

Our family's first cruise is almost here. Originally I was going to have all 5 of us take bonine, but antihistamines tend to knock us out. I was also planning to enjoy a few drinks of the day. My pharmacist thinks we don't need to take anything because we don't get motion sickness when traveling. Is motion eze something you use only if you already feel sick? Doesn't it come off in the water? Maybe we should just try sea bands. My kids and I have skinny little wrists, so maybe they wouldn't work. Any advice? I have searched this forum and read a lot of the responses. I hate to drug ourselves if we may not need it for our 3 day cruise, but we are all looking forward to the food!

POR, DVC since 2005 (SSR, BWV, AKL, BCV, VWL, OKW, HH, BLT), Disney Dream, HR Universal, Gaylord Palms, 2015 Princess 10K
TinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #29
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkGirl View Post
Our family's first cruise is almost here. Originally I was going to have all 5 of us take bonine, but antihistamines tend to knock us out. I was also planning to enjoy a few drinks of the day. My pharmacist thinks we don't need to take anything because we don't get motion sickness when traveling. Is motion eze something you use only if you already feel sick? Doesn't it come off in the water? Maybe we should just try sea bands. My kids and I have skinny little wrists, so maybe they wouldn't work. Any advice? I have searched this forum and read a lot of the responses. I hate to drug ourselves if we may not need it for our 3 day cruise, but we are all looking forward to the food!
MotionEze is an herbal oil that you put behind your ears, if necessary. Sorry I can't really tell you how quickly it may (or may not) work as I don't need it. If you feel that it's helping, you can reapply, there are no chemicals in it.

I think there are kid sized seabands, but I'm not sure where to get them.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #30
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
I don't drink often and most medications put me to sleep. I'm a lightweight when it comes to that. However, I take Bonine every morning on the ship and the only time I usually have a glass of wine is on the cruise. I have never experienced any problems with either.
Me too! I always feel so guilty...but I have no more than 1 pre-dinner drink per day. I usually take Bonine in the morning and I don't feel sleepy at all (even after the drink).
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: