Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Canon 5D Mark III (body only) for $2975 at Amazon

If you're in the market for a 5D Mark III, now's the time to pull the trigger. I was just doing my periodic drooling over them online, and couldn't believe the price. I thought for sure it must be used or refurbished. Nope. New, direct from Amazon, Amazon Prime eligible. $2975

So much for that tax refund check, and I haven't even done the taxes yet.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
jimim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave
If you're in the market for a 5D Mark III, now's the time to pull the trigger. I was just doing my periodic drooling over them online, and couldn't believe the price. I thought for sure it must be used or refurbished. Nope. New, direct from Amazon, Amazon Prime eligible. $2975

I really want to go full frame but I want to buy the 24-70 2.8 II first to offset the cost. At least I can still get good money for my 17-50 2.8 to help find the lens.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House June 13th for the week.

Planning Old Key West for Columbus week for 6 nights and then off to a Disney Cruise for 3 nights!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60184887@N08/
jimim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post

they've been discounted before at that price but nevertheless it's still too rich for my blood
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsOfPreyDave View Post

It was cheaper. Several places (including B&H) had the body for around $2800 and with the 24-105 for like $3400. But the rebates that got it that cheap ended yesterday.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Shazzasmd
Mouseketeer

Go for it . You won't regret it. The higher ISO capabilities and improved autofocus are very nice.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob100 View Post
they've been discounted before at that price but nevertheless it's still too rich for my blood
I am so on the edge!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
erikamacelroy
Mouseketeer

wow 2975 is a great price for the Canon 5DM3. B&H Sells it for 3.2k still.

Our 2013 Family Disney Trip
http://youtu.be/JR1V2Lo2VRs

(Me) (DH) (DS7) (DS 3)

~September 2014 BLT (Turning 30 in Disney)
~June 2013 BLT (First Family Trip)
erikamacelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
cisobe
Mouseketeer

I picked mine up this past Christmas for that price from Amazon and got an additional 6% in amazon rewards.

It's an awesome camera, and was quite a step up from my 7D.
cisobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
DoDaLeCa
Earning My Ears

Moved from a crop sensor 7D to a full frame sensor 5D3 as main shooter last December, about $3800 for body, 24-105mm F/4L IS, spare battery and grip. If you can buy with this kit lens then you're ready to start shooting. Later get the 24-70mm F/2.8L II and you can sell the 24-105 for approximately $800 if you want to (i'm keeping mine so far as a good light general walkaround lens plus it has IS for steady video should I want to shoot some).

Extra costs for the change to FF include some monetary loss selling all my EF-S only lenses, having to buy "L" grade lens as some lower end FF lenses look good on crop where only the center portion of the lens is used whereas on FF you need good quality to near the lens corners due to the larger image sensor, more storage and processing time due to larger files (I shoot RAW), loss of telephoto effect from crop which means buying longer lenses to get image to fill frame as cropping a FF to get the same framing as on a crop sensor camera generally produces a lower quality picture than shooting the same scene on crop sensor camera with the same lens.

If you can deal with it (as i have had to do) then the results have been worth it to me (lots more in focus shots with the 5D3 vs 7D, better image quality with less noise due to larger pixel size, two card slots so can have a large slow SDHC as backup to fast CF so I don't have to stop shooting when the main card gets full, etc,).

Last edited by DoDaLeCa; 06-25-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Correct spelling, more detail
DoDaLeCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
cisobe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDaLeCa View Post
Moved from a crop sensor 7D to a full frame sensor 5D3 as main shooter last December, about $3800 for body, 24-105mm F/4L IS, spare battery and grip. If you can buy with this kit lens then you're ready to start shooting. Later get the 24-70mm F/2.8L II and you can sell the 24-105 for approximately $800 if you want to (i'm keeping mine so far as a good light general walkaround lens plus it has IS for steady video should I want to shoot some).

Extra costs for the change to FF include some monetary loss selling all my EF-S only lenses, having to buy "L" grade lens as some lower end FF lenses look good on crop where only the center portion of the lens is used whereas on FF you need good quality to near the lens corners due to the larger image sensor, more storage and processing time due to larger files (I shoot RAW), loss of telephoto effect from crop which means buying longer lenses to get image to fill frame as cropping a FF to get the same framing as on a crop sensor camera generally produces a lower quality picture than shooting the same scene on crop sensor camera with the same lens.

If you can deal with it (as i have had to do) then the results have been worth it to me (lots more in focus shots with the 5D3 vs 7D, better image quality with less noise due to larger pixel size, two card slots so can have a large slow SDHC as backup to fast CF so I don't have to stop shooting when the main card gets full, etc,).
Same experiences moving up from the 7D. BTW, if you need the full FPS from your 5D3, do not shoot with a SD card in the second shot! It will slow your buffer write speed down to the SD card speed for both slots!
cisobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: