Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
That's my point! It is out of control, and I love the poly but let's be real, I saw 929 per night for regular season! I draw the line here.
I guess I am in the minority here. Yes, $1000 a night is a lot of money. However, look at what it is for:

- A Deluxe WDW Resort
- Concierge Level
- Theme Park View

Those are all high-end amenities that come with the price tag. You're paying to stay next door to Cinderella's Castle and not in a regular room. For many of us, this is a hefty amount, but for those who are looking for an experience like this and can afford it, that may not necessarily be the case.

I don't think you can truly compare a WDW resort to one off-property. You are paying extra to stay on-site at a selective vacation destination; that's far different from a hotel in Jersey or Nebraska...I could go on and on. Guests pay more to stay in the heart of Manhattan because that is the bonus of selecting that hotel. I don't think WDW is any different. You get what you pay for.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 AM   #17
DeltaDiamond001
DISaholic
I thought getting a new box of crayons and a pad of paper was cool...

Spend $1,000/night at the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, or Mandarin Oriental anywhere in the world and you will get better service and more luxurious accommodations than ANY Disney owned resort. Period.

I don't care if you stay in Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles. The real estate will (almost always) be worth considerably more than a spot on Seven Seas Lagoon.

Disney resorts are great; I'm not bashing Disney in any way, but the fact of the matter is, that Disney does not provide the resort experience of numerous international chains, and the resorts they do operate do not do so in areas in which land value is equal to or higher than other highly trafficked locations.

As a consumer, I feel it is only right of me to question the value of what I am paying for. Therefore, Disney hotels will not be getting my business until their prices are commensurate with the high standards that ALL consumers should expect from a company as large and successful as Disney.

Sure, I'll probably still spend $1,000/night on a hotel room, but I'll be receiving much more value for my dollar than I would at a Disney owned and operated property.

End of rant.

"If you can dream it, you can do it." ~Walt Disney
DeltaDiamond001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
727jay
Earning My Ears

My family has been going to WDW for quite some time and I have watched the prices go up at a sickening rate. I don't intend to sound uppity, but I make more money than my family's lifestyle requires and sometimes I don't know what to do with the extra.

With that in mind, there is NO WAY I could justify paying the rack rates they are asking at any of the deluxe resorts these days. We could afford it, but why? I wouldn't shell out that kind of coin any more than I'd pay 50 bucks for a Big Mac. Even with the big 40% discounts of a few years ago it would be pretty tough to justify.

So I guess my question is, what kind of person shells out that much money for a family vacation? Do they just suck it up and go into debt they will worry about later? Are they so wealthy that it just doesn't make a dent, and if so, are there really enough like that to support such prices?
Somebody help me out here!
727jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #19
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 727jay View Post
I don't intend to sound uppity, but I make more money than my family's lifestyle requires and sometimes I don't know what to do with the extra.
May I suggest helping out the local animal shelters who due the economy are over run with family pets that are being turned in? They really need food and supplies right now. ( and when you donate to the food banks, remember to donate pet food too. )

Find a local meals on wheels delivery person and see if anyone on their route has pets. Pets are so important for seniors, especially if they live alone. Some seniors only get one a meal a day, the one they get from meals on wheels, and they will share that meal in order to feed their pet! Perhaps you could send pet food to that person?

Or give some money to your local veterinarian and tell them the next time someone comes in with an injured pet and they don't have the money to treat it, to use that money. Can you imagine what a gift that would be?!

I've got a million ideas for you if you need help spending it.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 AM   #20
PoohDoll
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Frog View Post
May I suggest helping out the local animal shelters who due the economy are over run with family pets that are being turned in? They really need food and supplies right now. ( and when you donate to the food banks, remember to donate pet food too. )

Find a local meals on wheels delivery person and see if anyone on their route has pets. Pets are so important for seniors, especially if they live alone. Some seniors only get one a meal a day, the one they get from meals on wheels, and they will share that meal in order to feed their pet! Perhaps you could send pet food to that person?

Or give some money to your local veterinarian and tell them the next time someone comes in with an injured pet and they don't have the money to treat it, to use that money. Can you imagine what a gift that would be?!

Who cares about animals that much? Donate to the senior citizen and the PEOPLE ..... People are much more valueable than an animal.
PoohDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Wink

Does the $1,000 bucks a night also come with concierge? I'm assuming yes but who knows. I count myself lucky that I got to stay at a Deluxe when I was younger. I got to stay at the Poly, the Grand Floridian (Thanks Sis and parents.),and the Contemporary as a teen and college student. Now I'm a hard working Librarian who can't afford them.

As for extra money If I had some I would give it to the animals except pythons. They are causing us enough problems in the everglades.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #22
LMO429
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDiamond001 View Post
Spend $1,000/night at the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons, or Mandarin Oriental anywhere in the world and you will get better service and more luxurious accommodations than ANY Disney owned resort. Period.

I don't care if you stay in Chicago, New York, or Los Angeles. The real estate will (almost always) be worth considerably more than a spot on Seven Seas Lagoon.

Disney resorts are great; I'm not bashing Disney in any way, but the fact of the matter is, that Disney does not provide the resort experience of numerous international chains, and the resorts they do operate do not do so in areas in which land value is equal to or higher than other highly trafficked locations.

As a consumer, I feel it is only right of me to question the value of what I am paying for. Therefore, Disney hotels will not be getting my business until their prices are commensurate with the high standards that ALL consumers should expect from a company as large and successful as Disney.

Sure, I'll probably still spend $1,000/night on a hotel room, but I'll be receiving much more value for my dollar than I would at a Disney owned and operated property.

End of rant.
I agree with you! I have not been posting lately on the dis that often I have been lurking recently. But I completely agree with you.

My last 4 trips at beach, BLT, yacht and boardwalk I paid upwards of 400 to 450 a night for a standard room. Only to be given a room with dented furniture, mold and grout missing in the bathroom, rips in the carpet, filthy balconies, dust everywhere the list goes on and on. Regardless of how close to a theme park or a view I am getting this is unacceptable. If you are going to charge deluxe prices then I expect deluxe accomodations. I have no problem paying top dollar when I feel I am getting my $ worth and quite frankly our last 3 trips I have not been and I do voice my concerns to disney after each trip and was quite satisfied with the outcome. It has been so bad we are considering staying at the waldorf on our upcoming visit and renting a car.

LMO429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #23
727jay
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly Frog View Post

Our family lifestyle does, in fact, include giving to a lot of worthy charities, but they are all aimed a people more than animals. You may have missed the point of my post, and I might have missed the point of your reply.

Regards!
727jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
suedaisy
Mouseketeer

This is an interesting thread as my coworker and I were just talking about the price increases at Disney World. Each year I read on here about how folks are "priced out" and they move from Deluxe to Moderate or from Moderate to Value or Value to Off Property.

My coworker and I think that the jump this year is my year to be shifting!

In the past, I have rented points and will probably keep this as my main option for well planned trips. We recently canceled a Disney Resort booked trip that was to be in March as it was not worth the price (to me!), but to others I am sure that it is worth the cost. As WDW released deals, we had been taking a couple trips here and there, but I think that is over for our family. We will need to plan at least a year out and go for points' rentals. I am glad that we went when we could and that I took pictures! Ahh... the good ol' days with my Free Dining and no expiration tickets...

Please note that I am not "mad" about this. It is smart for Disney to make as much as they can on a room. They are a business. I get it. I have stayed in some really fabulous Disney rooms, but $1K per night? I am priced out.
suedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennygt View Post
Just read that cl regular season with theme park view is $1000 a night!!! Is this true? I can't imagine that it is I mean come on! This is not the four seasons.
Makes me feel pretty good about the $270 a night I recently got for the Four Seasons in Vegas (not counting the room tax, parking and resort fee charges, which, in effect, add nearly another $80-$100 on).

Generally, my absolute upper limit for any hotel is around $350 a night, but for that price it had better be special. The Poly is on a pretty short list of properties that fall into that category (for it's location and overall ambiance and not for it's deluxe-ness). But, again, $350 a night is my upper limit (we recently stayed at Poly for roughly this price (including tax) on AP discounts last December, but it was for a standard, non-CL, garden view room).
Old 01-30-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

The last time (and only time) that I stayed at the Poly I paid 410 a night....it was only for 2 nights and I saved up for 2 years to justify it. It was a great room, don't get me wrong...but 1K a night.....not for me. I won't pay that. I love the Values (Music and Movies) and that's where I will stay.

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
kaligal
DIS Veteran

And with your $10,000.00 hotel room, you are not guaranteed a clean room, lol.

If Disney is charging $1000/night (plus tax!) and getting it, people have themselves to blame. It is just foolishness to give them that amount of money for Disney rooms and Disney service. The service is sub-par and the rooms just aren't very nice.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
missycj96
DIS Veteran

The amount is crazy. Maybe its inspiration for me to buy a lottery ticket!
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: