Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

Need help with FE info, first timer here?? Is this a good FE? Is it big enough?

First time going on a cruise, first time participating in FE. I have seen the pictures of the FE's people have made or bought. I was at the Disney store today and saw this cute backpack and I thought it might work as an FE. It was a great price, $11. I don't think I can buy one or make one for that price. I can personalize the flap on top, so I am not worried about that. I have also read you should put a zip tie on it because of theft. What do you think? It is 12x10x5. Sorry to the post to ebay, but I do not know how to upload photos yet.

Also, I am a little stumped on how much to spend. I was thinking $10 per cabin? Currently our cruise only have 9 cabins participating. Is this a good amount? Too much? Too little? I found some really cool things at the Disney store that were in the $2 range. I thought I would give 3 of these things and then candy for kids.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-Parks...90532365196%26
mickeyhereicome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Oh, I think that is really cute!!!

As far as the cost, it is totally up to you. I have done FEs for as little as a few dollars a cabin (when I feel crafty and can purchase large amounts of supplies at low cost) and also have done some which have been a bit more. There is no set rule! Just have fun!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Oh, I think that is really cute!!!

As far as the cost, it is totally up to you. I have done FEs for as little as a few dollars a cabin (when I feel crafty and can purchase large amounts of supplies at low cost) and also have done some which have been a bit more. There is no set rule! Just have fun!
Thanks. I think it is really cute and a great price. Just hope it is big enough.
Thanks for your input on cost.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

That is cute. On the Disney Hawaii cruise last spring we saw a Hawaiian shirt folded up laundry-style and pinned. Don't know how they attached it to the wall, but that was their fish extender, and people put their gifts into the neck hole.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
JackieO
Mouseketeer

I'm sure it will be big enough. You'll "clean it out" each time you return to your stateroom. As for cost, that's totally up to you. I tried to make gifts to keep the cost down. We received so many great gifts and never even thought of what they must have cost. Most people are just excited to receive anything. Have fun with it and don't stress.
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
I'm sure it will be big enough. You'll "clean it out" each time you return to your stateroom. As for cost, that's totally up to you. I tried to make gifts to keep the cost down. We received so many great gifts and never even thought of what they must have cost. Most people are just excited to receive anything. Have fun with it and don't stress.
Thanks. I haven't started stressing yet, so I am doing fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
That is cute. On the Disney Hawaii cruise last spring we saw a Hawaiian shirt folded up laundry-style and pinned. Don't know how they attached it to the wall, but that was their fish extender, and people put their gifts into the neck hole.
That is a neat idea.

So how do you put stuff in the FE? If I am giving 3 or so things, do you put them in a gift bag and then put it in the FE. That way they know it came from one family? Are they not suppose to know who it cam from? Do you wrap stuff? Just trying to find out what you do.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyhereicome View Post
So how do you put stuff in the FE? If I am giving 3 or so things, do you put them in a gift bag and then put it in the FE. That way they know it came from one family? Are they not suppose to know who it cam from? Do you wrap stuff? Just trying to find out what you do.
That's another thing I have done differently on different cruises depending on what I am giving. Once I did one bag for the entire family - it contained several things and they could divvy things up as they saw fit. Other times I have done one bag for the adults, and then individual bags for each child in the stateroom.

Instead of wrapping things, I just use a cellophane treat bag to put things in. My standard is to use a red bag, then attach a tag with names on it made with red, yellow, and black (DCL colors); then the tag is attached with yellow and black ribbon. I know, I know...that is going a bit far! LOL Many people use Ziploc bags as well, and some don't use bags at all!

I have always included our names on the tags, but not everyone does (there are always an anonymous gift or two in our exchange!).

This is what my wrapped gifts end up looking like...

Last edited by iloverags2; 02-02-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: typo
iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
DebbieOBX
Mouseketeer

I'm doing my first FE this may. I read on a facebook FE group today that the max amount one person spends is 77cents. That truly doesen't sound like much.

I like your FE very much.

I also like the RED bag.

I'm excited about my first Disney cruise, but im reading about food not being good. Smells, and 77 cent gifts.

DebbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
DebbieOBX
Mouseketeer

trying to post my first fe. lol
DebbieOBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieOBX View Post
I'm doing my first FE this may. I read on a facebook FE group today that the max amount one person spends is 77cents. That truly doesen't sound like much.

I like your FE very much.

I also like the RED bag.

I'm excited about my first Disney cruise, but im reading about food not being good. Smells, and 77 cent gifts.

77 cents. Really??? Is that per cabin or per person in the cabin? Either way I would be way over. Like your bag, it is very cute.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
CrawfordMomof2
Mouseketeer

Love your bag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
That's another thing I have done differently on different cruises depending on what I am giving. Once I did one bag for the entire family - it contained several things and they could divvy things up as they saw fit. Other times I have done one bag for the adults, and then individual bags for each child in the stateroom.

Instead of wrapping things, I just use a cellophane treat bag to put things in. My standard is to use a red bag, then attach a tag with names on it made with red, yellow, and black (DCL colors); then the tag is attached with yellow and black ribbon. I know, I know...that is going a bit far! LOL Many people use Ziploc bags as well, and some don't use bags at all!

I have always included our names on the tags, but not everyone does (there are always an anonymous gift or two in our exchange!).

This is what my wrapped gifts end up looking like...
We're planning our first cruise as well, and have been trying to decide if we want to do an FE exchange since i'm just not very crafty, and I would ultimately like to give something that people could use. I love your bag! What a great idea!

I also like the idea of 1 gift, and then letting the family divvy everything up they way they want to. Kids are all different. My 7 year old is autistic, and as such some things that are meant for a younger child still really appeal to him. But there are some "7 year old" things that my younger child would love!

Now the gears in my head are turning again, trying to decide what to give for an FE exchange! So excited!
CrawfordMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: