Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
iloveplutodog
Earning My Ears

Smile China June 2 thru June 13....Trip of a LifeTime

I have always wanted to travel to China....ever since my Father would tell me his Navy stories. I have been completing and organizing the logistics to accomplishing this amazing trip. I was hoping that by opening up this thread, maybe I could learn from others who have previously gone on this trip ie., helpful hints and to also get acquainted with other travelers that are intending on taking this trip at the same time. Life is an Adventure....can't wait!
iloveplutodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Welcome to the DISBoards, and the Adventures by Disney Forum, iloveplutodog! The China trip looks amazing, and is definitely on my radar for some time in the not-too-distant future.

We do have several people here who have done the China ABD, and I'm sure they'll be happy to offer you tips and advice!

If you check the Trip Report Sticky at the top of this Forum, there are 3 trip Reports linked there for this itinerary:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2167714

I've also added you to the roll call on the China trip meets thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2933875

Congrats! You truly are in for a trip of a lifetime!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
deckes
deckes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveplutodog
I have always wanted to travel to China....ever since my Father would tell me his Navy stories. I have been completing and organizing the logistics to accomplishing this amazing trip. I was hoping that by opening up this thread, maybe I could learn from others who have previously gone on this trip ie., helpful hints and to also get acquainted with other travelers that are intending on taking this trip at the same time. Life is an Adventure....can't wait!
We did this trip last July and it was beyond amazing. Definitely look back at the trip reports. I have used them for both this trip and South Africa and they are invaluable. If you are staying pre-night I would highly recommend The China Guide to see the Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven. I learned about this on one of the trip reports. You have a private driver and guide for the day at an extremely cheap rate. They pick you up right at the Peninsula. Also post day Hong Kong Disneyland was nice but beyond crowded so go as soon as they open. Plan on extreme heat there. Another great experience that you should plan on but is not Disney-approved is holding a baby panda in Chengdu. It truly is a once in a lifetime experience. The guides will let you know about this experience. You are going to have the best time and be completely overwhelmed by the history and beauty of China. Post any questions you may have here and you will definitely get a reply.
deckes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

A few tips:

1. Bring tissues/toilet paper with you. This may sound weird but the washrooms there may not have tissues or toilet paper. I decardboardrolled a roll of toilet paper and divided it into 4 ziplock bags. They fit nicely into my daybag. LOL It's insurance ... and at least one time, I was glad to have it and I provided some to others of our group.

2. Always take the water the guides hand to you. They'll practically force it on you. It's going to be hot when you go so listen to your guides. Also, even if you don't want to drink it, you can use it to brush your teeth.

3. As above ... we did the non Disney sanctioned event of holding a panda. OMG... dream come true. It's worth every penny to have done that.

Enjoy the trip. The guides are the most fantastic.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
Kez250
Mouseketeer

We also did this trip last year in August with our children - it was fantastic - i felt like we did so much yet i never felt rushed or anything - we too flew into Beijing a day early and went to the Temple of Heaven - and stayed a day afterwards in HK and went to various markets and also went to the famed Tim Ho Wan for his to die for Pork Buns
Kez250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
iloveplutodog
Earning My Ears

Having a great time in China. Our fearless leaders are Steven and Daniel. Our accommodation's at the Peninsula are wonderful. We are on day 2 and have just came back from The Forbidden City. Absolutely amazing! We had Peking Duck for lunch. We are all looking forward to a swim this afternoon at the pool. This evening, we will be making kites, opera masks, and learning our Chinese names learning calligraphy.
iloveplutodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveplutodog View Post
Having a great time in China. Our fearless leaders are Steven and Daniel. Our accommodation's at the Peninsula are wonderful. We are on day 2 and have just came back from The Forbidden City. Absolutely amazing! We had Peking Duck for lunch. We are all looking forward to a swim this afternoon at the pool. This evening, we will be making kites, opera masks, and learning our Chinese names learning calligraphy.
Steven was one of our "shadow" guides when we went. He's fantastic! (He helped me walk down a steep portion of the Great Wall when I got a case of height fear!). He's also a great knot tier. LOL

Have fun! And make sure you get out to the night food market near the hotel!
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: