Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

Parking/Hotel at Gatwick

It's only 83 days to go for me, so I'm starting to think about my parking/hotel options at Gatwick. Anything to procrastinate from revision....

I definitely want to stay overnight before our flight on April 27th - I can't be doing with the 4 hour journey and the stress of getting there on the same day lol! The only place I've stayed at/around LGW previously was at the Yotel actually in the South Terminal of the airport. I caught the National Express coach from Cardiff for that. Furthermore, the only times I have parked my car at LGW has been when we have only gone away for around 4 days at the most, and just used one of the 'offsite' carparks with a shuttle for around £20.

Now. This time, I want to drive up myself the night before because at the moment, I have no idea where in the whole of Wales I will be on placement that day, or what time I'll be able to finish and get away. Therefore, I would prefer the flexibility of taking my own car and being able to go whenever I wanted rather than booking a coach again.

I was just wondering what my best options would be? Would it be to book a hotel and parking together as a package? Or book parking with an offsite carpark from one of those price comparison site thingies and then the hotel separate?

Does anyone have any idea of a rough price I'd be looking at? Or does anyone have any good recommendations of parking and hotel packages?

I'm not bothered about meet and greet or whatever, and don't want to break the bank but equally don't want to end up miles out.... I don't want much haha

My budget, I think, would be around £150 - is that realistic?

Thanks in advance
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
tinks86
Mouseketeer

Hi, if you're just looking for somewhere basic we've always gone for either a premier inn or travelodge (depending who has a better offer on at the time of booking).

You can get these for as little as £19 if you manage to catch an offer (the Gatwick central travelodge is currently £17 for 26th April), depends how much you want to pay I think there is a Hilton etc closer but we have always stayed in either the premier inn or travelodge.

Parking in Gatwick if you don't mind getting a shuttle bus to the terminal can be about £70 or so for 2 weeks and transfers take only a few mins if you book one of the long stay onsite ones. Try APH or holiday extras and travel supermarket also do comparisons for you.

Hope that helps!
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
BethEJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinks86 View Post
Hi, if you're just looking for somewhere basic we've always gone for either a premier inn or travelodge (depending who has a better offer on at the time of booking).

You can get these for as little as £19 if you manage to catch an offer (the Gatwick central travelodge is currently £17 for 26th April), depends how much you want to pay I think there is a Hilton etc closer but we have always stayed in either the premier inn or travelodge.

Parking in Gatwick if you don't mind getting a shuttle bus to the terminal can be about £70 or so for 2 weeks and transfers take only a few mins if you book one of the long stay onsite ones. Try APH or holiday extras and travel supermarket also do comparisons for you.

Hope that helps!
It sure does, thanks for your help!

I wouldn't mind at all staying in a Travelodge or Premier Inn and using an 'offsite' carpark elsewhere My only question is that obviously I'd drive to the carpark first and then catch a shuttle to the airport. How would I then get to the Travelodge for example? Could I use the hotel shuttle before even having checked in at the hotel do you think, to get to the hotel from the airport?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
queendisney
DIS Veteran

I suppose it depends on your thoughts on the 'night before you fly' really..We consider it the absolute start of our holiday and splash out on the Hilton Delux room with access to the hilton executive lounge and a buffet breakfast..others think of the night before as 'just a place to sleep'. So depending on your view I would consider the Hilton or the Premier Inn as they are close. We tend to do the parking seperately as you can get good deals on parking at the Long Stay on site at Gatwick..subcribe to London Gatwick Airport and they often send offers of 65% off! We booked the parking through Quidco and got money back. But the Hilton do a combined offer that maybe worth while looking at also..
The advantage of the Hilton is that it is connected to the airport by a walkway so you have a few choices of where to eat in the evening and can have a little stroll around the shops etc..then just walk back again without having to go outside for more then one minute!
You can drive to the Hilton, park outside to check in and throw your bags in the room, then take your car to the carpark and not have to lug them back with you!

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
tinks86
Mouseketeer

No worries, if you're planning to stay in the travelodge the night before we normally head there in the evening and park the car there for the night (it is usually about £7 to park your car there for up to 24 hours) and then when we get up in the morning drive to the airport parking and get a shuttle to the terminal.

When we have done twilight check in we have just parked in the short stay car park opposite the terminal the evening before to do the check in and then driven to the travelodge or premier inn.

Hope that makes sense! You should hopefully be able to get both for about £100
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
BethEJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by queendisney View Post
I suppose it depends on your thoughts on the 'night before you fly' really..We consider it the absolute start of our holiday and splash out on the Hilton Delux room with access to the hilton executive lounge and a buffet breakfast..others think of the night before as 'just a place to sleep'. So depending on your view I would consider the Hilton or the Premier Inn as they are close. We tend to do the parking seperately as you can get good deals on parking at the Long Stay on site at Gatwick..subcribe to London Gatwick Airport and they often send offers of 65% off! We booked the parking through Quidco and got money back. But the Hilton do a combined offer that maybe worth while looking at also..
The advantage of the Hilton is that it is connected to the airport by a walkway so you have a few choices of where to eat in the evening and can have a little stroll around the shops etc..then just walk back again without having to go outside for more then one minute!
You can drive to the Hilton, park outside to check in and throw your bags in the room, then take your car to the carpark and not have to lug them back with you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinks86 View Post
No worries, if you're planning to stay in the travelodge the night before we normally head there in the evening and park the car there for the night (it is usually about £7 to park your car there for up to 24 hours) and then when we get up in the morning drive to the airport parking and get a shuttle to the terminal.

When we have done twilight check in we have just parked in the short stay car park opposite the terminal the evening before to do the check in and then driven to the travelodge or premier inn.

Hope that makes sense! You should hopefully be able to get both for about £100
I didn't even think to check Gatwick's own website, just assumed it would be too expensive. However, I just checked it out, and their Summer Special Parking is available for £75 - just what I was looking for! Think I'll go for that, and then book the hotel separately!

Haven't decided if it's going to be 'just a place to sleep' or something nice yet I'm going halves with my friend, so we could do the hilton, it's just deciding if I'd rather spend that extra money in duty free We'll see! I also like the sound of being able to nip to the airport for some food if it turns out that I can make it to Gatwick at a sensible an hour. That definitely was handy when I stayed at the Yotel two years ago.

And Tinks, good shout! No idea why I didn't think of just parking at the hotel the night we use it and then make our way to the long stay parking in the morning! Genius! That's what we'll be doing if we end staying a bit further out!

Thanks again for both of your help
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
queendisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethEJo View Post
I didn't even think to check Gatwick's own website, just assumed it would be too expensive. However, I just checked it out, and their Summer Special Parking is available for £75 - just what I was looking for! Think I'll go for that, and then book the hotel separately!

Haven't decided if it's going to be 'just a place to sleep' or something nice yet I'm going halves with my friend, so we could do the hilton, it's just deciding if I'd rather spend that extra money in duty free We'll see! I also like the sound of being able to nip to the airport for some food if it turns out that I can make it to Gatwick at a sensible an hour. That definitely was handy when I stayed at the Yotel two years ago.

And Tinks, good shout! No idea why I didn't think of just parking at the hotel the night we use it and then make our way to the long stay parking in the morning! Genius! That's what we'll be doing if we end staying a bit further out!

Thanks again for both of your help
Talking of Duty Free....did you come across the voucher on the Gatwick site? I think its £5 off a £75 shop I think I got it emailed to me when I subscribed to them..

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

We always used to stay in the Hilton but last year we got a good deal at the Marriott. It's right next to the Longstay car park so we could pop to the car and leave overnight bits in there.

This year however we are trying the new Premier Inn at the North Terminal. We got a family room for £39, we then added their meal deal which was a 3 course do near and drink with an all you can eat breakfast for an extra £22pp. Worked out at less that room only for us at the Marriott.

I do love the Hilton (especially as we always had executive rooms) but its no longer a good option for us with 2 little ones.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
BethEJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurafoster View Post

This year however we are trying the new Premier Inn at the North Terminal. We got a family room for £39, we then added their meal deal which was a 3 course do near and drink with an all you can eat breakfast for an extra £22pp. Worked out at less that room only for us at the Marriott.
Is the new Premier Inn close to the North Terminal i.e. is it a quick walk or is a shuttle needed?

I ask, because I've just checked their website, and it's showing a twin room and 'Meet & Greet Valet' parking for £119.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
strawberry blonde
DIS Veteran

Hi Beth,
A friend has just booked a hotel and parking for £89 and then £17 back from topcashback. I think she used Holiday Extras and the Hotel was The Russ Hill. I think it's about £5 for the shuttle.
Hope you find something
strawberry blonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #11
OhanaSam
Mouseketeer

We booked one of the Travelodge rooms at Gatwick Central for £17, considering we won't get there till midnight I didn't see the point in paying a fortune for a room, plus I've stayed in a lot of Travelodges and never had a problem. Just checked there website and it says parking is £7.50 for 24 hours

Me(23) DBF(23)
OhanaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
tinks86
Mouseketeer

Not sure whether it helps but there is a groupon today for Gatwick parking and hotel it works out at £79 for hotel and it says onsite parking - may be a good deal?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethEJo

Is the new Premier Inn close to the North Terminal i.e. is it a quick walk or is a shuttle needed?

I ask, because I've just checked their website, and it's showing a twin room and 'Meet & Greet Valet' parking for £119.
Yes the new one is literally a few mins walk. I've been told its next to the Sofitel if that helps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: