Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #16
WDW Princess 71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I dunno about Barcelona shops, but if you wanna do Duty Free my opinion is to just buy it as you are departing and the airline gives it to you as you board since you're not allowed to carry it through anymore.

You pick it up as you enter the gangway.

In my experience, most European cities DO NOT have a duty free shop accessible when you land. In fact, most of the time I don't even have to go through immigration since the hours are so limited. I've landed in Italy and France a few times very early or very late and walked right out the door of the airport. All shops are closed. No immigration booth.
Thanks for the tip! I had forgotten that we do have a duty free shop at Philadelphia (PHL) where we fly from and we can purchase some alcohol there to carry on. That will be even better since the prices will be in USD. Seems like the easiest way to go. Now we'll just have to find a supermarket in Barcelona where we can pickup some bottled water and we'll be all set.

September 2014: 14 Night WB Transatlantic on the Magic! November 2013: WDW & 3 Night Dream Mother/Daughter TripJuly 2013: 12-Night Eastern Med Cruise w/Greece & Turkey, then Disneyland Paris! January 2013: 7 Night Western Carib on the Fantasy May 2012: 5-Night Double Dip Dream Cruise for Mom & Dad's 30th Anniversary! February 2012: Solo Valentine Cruise Treat to Get Me to Gold! January 2011: 3 Week Ultimate Disney Vacation- WDW then 15 Night Disney Cruise Through Panama Canal then DL in California!May 2010: celebrating at WDW for graduating my MBA program! January 2010: 3rd Disney Cruise, 1st on the Magic, prefaced by New Years Eve in WDW! November 2009: Return to DL at Disney's Grand Californian Resort, May 2009: WDW Summer Kickoff, January 2009: 2nd Disney Cruise- Sisters Cruise 4 Night Wonder, March 2008: WDW Spring Break, February 2008: WDW ESPN Weekend with relatives, April 2007: WDW Spring Break, March 2006: WDW Spring Break, March 2004: Land & Sea Graduation Present 4 Night Wonder (1st Cruise!) and 3 Night WDW, April 2003: WDW Spring Break, November 2002: Florida College Road Trip, Stopover in WDW, June 2002: California College Road Trip, Stopover in Disneyland, November 2001: WDW Mom’s Birthday Celebration, April 2001: WDW Spring Break, October 2000: Millennium Celebration WDW, November 1996: 1st Trip WDW Hooked For Life, 2004-2007: MANY trips up to Disneyland, CA (including 50th Anniversary Happiest Celebration on Earth!) while in college at University of San Diego
WDW Princess 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Wink We are in the same position

Hi there,

Our DD is 18 in a few weeks and is sooo looking forwarding to our JUN Magic cruise which she would like to be able to join her parents in the lounges on the Magic. Our DD understands alcohol and its affects, however wants to partake in a few drinks and enjoy the various nightclub ents that she has only heard of over the 10 previous cruises. We shall be signing the wavier however we shall also be keeping a close eye.

As for good alcohol stores, we always shop in a small Carrefour shop in Las Ramblas on the main shopping Street leading there. We have found a great little "booze" shop at Rambla de los Estudios, 113
E - 8002 Barcelona near playa de catalunya metro, it's basically a 7-11 with a good selection of wines and spirts, we use this to stock up on various wines and spirts prior to a cruise as we find the port shop to be pricey.

Please remember to drink responsibily !!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #18
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

Drinking age in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandanasbearz View Post
In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages while onboard.
Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm just want to
What about European countries with a drinking age as low as 16 to purchase alcohol? Some countries are as low as 14 for consumption of alcohol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age#Europe

-Paul
pjacobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
itdoesntsmell
Earning My Ears

DCL have set they're limit at 18+ to accomodate what they think is appropriate for that market and what they can accommodate.
Last thing you want is <18 yr olds drinking and then going to the Vibe!

US Law determines that a 18 yr old is considered an adult under law, and therefore I think the cut off for drinking alcohol at 18 is appropriate one these cruises.
Eitherway, they are never going to please everyone.
itdoesntsmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #20
jayteadunn
Earning My Ears

Good point. I wasn't aware of the form to sign. The onboard TV explains that 21 is it on the ship
jayteadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
pjacobi
DIS Veteran

American vs. European customs

If Disney needs to remind Europeans about drinking age and American customs, such as tipping, does Disney also remind Europeans about American customs for swimsuit attire?

-Paul
pjacobi is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: