Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I did the coolrunnings c25k and liked it. But I wasn't afraid to repeat weeks as needed! I can't remember if it was week 4 or 5, but one of them was *extremely* challenging for me (especially my lungs), and I just needed more time. So don't be afraid to repeat weeks, and don't get bummed if you guys get off track from each other. You don't have the same bodies, so you don't need to be on the same week.

I've actually done the program twice, with plans for more. the first time I just used the *time*. Second time through I did the actual mileage. When I do it again I'll try to increase the time. For right now, before I started it again, i've just been doing the 5K distance or a little beyond, to get my legs and lungs really used to it. Now, I'm a treadmill person, so eventually another step will be running on actual ground, LOL. I keep my treadmill at a bit of an incline, as "they" say that helps you train for real ground a little more.

It does get better, but I really do stress the concept of repeating weeks if your body needs it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 PM   #17
got2lovedisney
DIS Veteran

Keep at it! You will see improvement and this is coming from a definite non-runner who used the walk/jog queues from the app to shave off 4 minutes from my 1st to 2nd 5K. (not much but as I said, I'm a non-runner). I'm already registered for my 3rd 5K and restarting C25K to try to best my previous times. You can do it!!
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #18
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

I aytempted it last summer and made it to week 3 before I stopped. I started again and am now on week 5. I too use the cool Runnings app and really like it. This weeks a doozie! Today was 5 walk, 8 jog, 5 walk, 8 jog, 5 walk. I looked ahead at tomorrow's and its 5 walk, 20 jog, 5 walk. This might be the first week that I repeat, not because its head but because I personally need more time to reach the goal.

I haven't run seriously since the 90s and I'm very overweight, but I'm enjoying it.Since we live in a snow area I hit the treadmill in the evenings after the kids are in bed. Last weekend was warm and the snow/ice melted so I hit our local trail. My time was better in pavement than the treadmill! I jogged two miles in 28 minutes

My first 5k+ is the Expedition Everest Challenge in May. I then will be running a foam run in July.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I love reading your stories here. You guys are an inspiration and I hope to join you one day.

I have to really focus on stretching right now to get rid of my tight calf muscles, achilles tendon, and plantar fasciitis. It really stinks.

My plantar fasciitis is in the arch of my foot and not in the heel. After 10 mins on the treadmill, it hurts. I can't wait for better weather so I can hit the pavement instead. Pavement is easier on my feet.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #20
nocomment711
Ces Soirees-La

I'm gonna give this a shot come Monday. I wanna sign up for a 5K in may, then on to the tower-of-terror 10-miler. I know that's a big jump, but I think the hardest part for me will be getting out to do it.

Do you guys do cross-training with the program?
nocomment711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerPooh
I aytempted it last summer and made it to week 3 before I stopped. I started again and am now on week 5. I too use the cool Runnings app and really like it. This weeks a doozie! Today was 5 walk, 8 jog, 5 walk, 8 jog, 5 walk. I looked ahead at tomorrow's and its 5 walk, 20 jog, 5 walk. This might be the first week that I repeat, not because its head but because I personally need more time to reach the goal.
I just did this same run and I think I will repeat the day tomorrow. Plus maybe another 5 minute run. Yikes, my poor out of shape body- lungs, legs, feet. But I am so proud of myself for finishing the run.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
schoonersky
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine
I love reading your stories here. You guys are an inspiration and I hope to join you one day.

I have to really focus on stretching right now to get rid of my tight calf muscles, achilles tendon, and plantar fasciitis. It really stinks.

My plantar fasciitis is in the arch of my foot and not in the heel. After 10 mins on the treadmill, it hurts. I can't wait for better weather so I can hit the pavement instead. Pavement is easier on my feet.
I have extremely tight calf muscles and developed plantar fasciitis and posterior tibial tendinitis (shin splints) at about week 6 or 7 of the program. I finished the program, ran my 5k, and then stopped running so my legs could heel. Then got new sneakers, and tried again. Still problems. Went to a pedorthist who put lifts in my heels to stop my rolling, and Bingo! I can run!! I still have to do my stretching faithfully before and after, stretch my calf muscles regularly outside of that, but it is much better!!

Be sure to explore that your shoes are right for your feet. I was wearing stability shoes and they were too hard under my arch. The shoe guy explained it was like punching a bruise over and over: you get the arch issue and then the hard support of the stability shoe hits it over and over.

November 2013: Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon
March 2013 - Boston, MA-April 2012 - Boston, MA - March 2012 - Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica - July 2011 - Quebec City PQ - December 2010 - Disney Wonder and the Contemporary!! -August 2009 - POP Free Dining - August 2008 - POR Free DIning - March 1983 - Offsite
schoonersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
RangerPooh
It's the little things that make our day
It was a nice surprise to find to find when I returned home from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by runsandjumps

I just did this same run and I think I will repeat the day tomorrow. Plus maybe another 5 minute run. Yikes, my poor out of shape body- lungs, legs, feet. But I am so proud of myself for finishing the run.
I attempted the 20 minutes straight and got close before having to call it quits. I made it to 17 minutes before I almost collapsed. This week will definitely be repeated as I am no where near a 10 minute mile yet!

I did hit our local paved trail system with my family and walked (limited jogging) 3.1 miles in 52 minutes. Not bad considering we stopped to talk with friends along the path as well as stopped to let the kids catch up/breath. Plus I had DH with me whose new to the program.

Disneyland Wedding 6.02.2003
RangerPooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: