Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #46
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I think that you guys might be reading more into the change than is actually there. You might consider that your opinions are being based on a single cherry-picked piece of artwork.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #47
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
You might consider that your opinions are being based on a single cherry-picked piece of artwork.
Sorry, but no. I've looked through numerous versions of the artwork--they're easy to find. They all have the same qualities I described above.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #48
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs

Sorry, but no. I've looked through numerous versions of the artwork--they're easy to find. They all have the same qualities I described above.
I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree.

BTW, did you feel the same way about Cinderella's appearance in Sophia the First?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #49
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I guess that we'll have to agree to disagree.

BTW, did you feel the same way about Cinderella's appearance in Sophia the First?
We can certainly agree to disagree on whether the new look is...problematic. That is absolutely a matter of opinion. However, your assertion that my--or anyone else's--opinion is based on "a single cherry-picked piece of artwork" is incorrect. So there's no agree or disagree there. Facts are facts.

I've not seen the Sophia the First show. I will say that the stills I've seen of Cinderella in the show don't necessarily have the qualities that bother me. Which is all the more reason that the marketing/merchandise images *do* bother me. Because the image being sold, quite literally, to very small little girls is disturbing...and it's a disconnect from what actually attracts those little girls to the merchandise in the first place.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #50
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenevieveRaqs

We can certainly agree to disagree on whether the new look is...problematic. That is absolutely a matter of opinion. However, your assertion that my--or anyone else's--opinion is based on "a single cherry-picked piece of artwork" is incorrect. So there's no agree or disagree there. Facts are facts.

I've not seen the Sophia the First show. I will say that the stills I've seen of Cinderella in the show don't necessarily have the qualities that bother me. Which is all the more reason that the marketing/merchandise images *do* bother me. Because the image being sold, quite literally, to very small little girls is disturbing...and it's a disconnect from what actually attracts those little girls to the merchandise in the first place.
I'm not going to convince ou and you aren't going to convince me.

Last edited by dadddio; 02-02-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #51
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonkat View Post
They need a princess of Asian decent. (don't give me "mulan" she's not on par with Belle, Ariel, etc)

Way too many white/blonde princesses. I was thrilled with Princess and Frog and I was greatly disappointed when they came out with Tangled. Another white blonde woman? Seriously? I thought Princess & Frog indicated a new direction.
Why??? GOOD LORD...my daughter likes Merida, Tiana and Rapunzel, and she is not irish, black, or blonde hair blue eyed...so...she doesnt need a princess to look like her....They put out what sells, Mulan and Pocahontas are my favorite movies, but they didnt make much money....so they go back to what does...makes sense to me! Disney is a business, as much as I LOVE it..I remember that
Old 02-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #52
pookie10
Looking for my Prince....again :(

I like the new look, maybe they can keep both looks...and call the other one Vintage?? Like they do for black and white mickey
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #53
M2B
Mouseketeer

I hope they don't change Belle's dress too much. My son's girlfriend wouldn't be happy. She's been eyeing a Belle wedding dress for ages.
M2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #54
Neverland Girl
Livin' a Disney Life!

Belle's new look is finally here! (Well at least at Disneyland.)

(from EverythingDisney on flikr)

(from @instagrambynay)

May 2006 & 2008 - Offsite (HS Band Trip)
Jan. 2012 - POP! (First Family Trip)
Neverland Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #55
DSNYFAM6
Earning My Ears

Ugh! Glad I'm not the only one that doesn't like the new looks! What was wrong with cinderellas dress that they suddenly needed to make the neckline so much lower! She looks more like a Barbie and less like a princess. I liked the classic look of the princesses. I'm disappointed to say the least!
DSNYFAM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #56
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Based solely on the two comparison pics on page one, it doesn't appear that Cinderella's neckline went anywhere. Heck, based in the 'before' pic, her neckline couldn't get much lower.

Last edited by dadddio; 02-03-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #57
Kae
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Girl View Post
Belle's new look is finally here! (Well at least at Disneyland.)

(from EverythingDisney on flikr)

(from @instagrambynay)
I like it.

kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #58
DSNYFAM6
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio

Based solely on the two comparison pics Tom page one, it doesn't appear that Cinderella's neckline went anywhere.
We were just at the store and they have a cupcake kit where cinderellas neckline is quite a bit lower that the original! I didn't go back to the beginning of this thread to see the pics you all are talking about but this packaging said it all for me, I was very disappointed.
My daughters and I have always loved the style of the princesses, I'm not one to fix what's not broken.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #59
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

Before Belle:

After Belle:

Before Cinderella:

After Cinderella:

I really like how more natural Belle and Cinderella look in comparison to Snow and Aurora. Ariel looks natural enough already, imo.

My biggest gripe is how the new merchandise characters do not look like their movie characters. The physical change of the parks' princesses look great, but the merchandise? No.

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #60
DSNYFAM6
Earning My Ears

I agree the changes in the park princesses doesn't look to drastic. I actually really like Belles dress. Merchandise is where I'm having a hard time!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: