Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
5msvglow
Earning My Ears

Wilderness Cabin or 1bdrm OKW

Hi guys, first post here from a long time lurker on this fantastic forum.
Really need some advice on an upcoming stay in May at WDW.

Am travelling with my wife and 7 month old baby, and think it would be helpful to be able to put the cot somewhere separate from our bedroom - therefore we are considering a 1 bedroom apartment at OKW (or SSR) or the cabins at Fort wilderness. They both cost the same amount for the week, and both include free dining. Any advice on which to go for given comparable cost? We are hiring a car.

Also considering PFQ which is a little cheaper, and would need to use the curtain to partition the cot. Any experience? I understand OKW better than SSR since renovations.

All advice gratefully received, thanks
5msvglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Only to say: location location location.... Getting to the parks the quickest and easiest way, regardless of a car.....

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I am not a "cabin" person so would never stay there. DH and I have stayed at OKW twice together (I've actually been there as I stayed there on my girls trip last year with a friend and her 6 and 8 year old), and OKW has become our second home at Disney. It's a beautiful resort.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
NHWX
DIS Veteran

Both are very nice.

If you like more room, the 1 bedroom at OKW is probably the way to go. Plus it has a big tub which is nice for tired parents and laundry facilities which are nice in case you need to run a load of baby laundry.

FW Cabins (baby in the bedroom or main room?) does have smaller beds for the adults but has lovely quiet, wooded areas. You can take a boat to the Magic Kingdom and I really like the restaurant there. Once we were at the FW Cabins and in the middle of the day, near a holiday weekend, I sat outside at the picnic table and read while a book. I could hear bird song but no people-sourced noise. (Being the middle of the day, everyone was at the parks.)

If you are tall, you might want to go with OKW. If you don't want a chance at hearing your neighbors walk past your window, you might want to choose FW.

Have fun deciding!
NHWX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Personally I would vote for the one bedroom at OKW. They are a great size and its a beautiful resort. We stayed in the cabins this past summer and had a very nice trip but I prefer the overall layout and ambiance of OKW more. With a car I don't think you can go wrong at either really.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
5msvglow
Earning My Ears

Some great advice, thank you. OKW is gaining the edge.

If we went cabins we'd want to put the baby in the bedroom and we'd sleep in the lounge on the Murphy bed.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Talking

OKW without a doubt

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

OKW has larger rooms and you probably would be more comfortable there than on a murphy bed. While the cabins are nice (and I am not a cabin person) having your own space is alot better. After all, you are on vacation and any little noise your little one hears by being separated by a curtain, well, your day begins!

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
5msvglow
Earning My Ears

Getting some strong vibes for OKW from you guys - thanks all for the input so far, its much appreciated.

I have to say I thought people would say that the Wilderness lodges was the nicer resort as a whole for ambiance etc., with the only drawback being slightly less space in the cabin than the villa. From what I've now read it sounds like OKW trumps on both the rooms and the resort ambiance.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5msvglow
Getting some strong vibes for OKW from you guys - thanks all for the input so far, its much appreciated.

I have to say I thought people would say that the Wilderness lodges was the nicer resort as a whole for ambiance etc., with the only drawback being slightly less space in the cabin than the villa. From what I've now read it sounds like OKW trumps on both the rooms and the resort ambiance.
Nope, still go with location.... Room size means nothing.... When we're up, we're either in a park or at the pool and getting to either means a better location than OKW.... I'd take the cabins...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5msvglow View Post

We used to rent a car every trip, but now we wait until we are about ready to leave Disney World (usually two days before end of our trip) and head to Marco Island. We like that you can park right outside your building at OKW; and we have had some of the best bus service we've ever had at Disney and never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus (if even that). The longest ride is to the MK, but even that was not that long (15 minutes or a little bit more).

My question is are you actually talking about the "Ft. Wildnerness Cabins" or the Wilderness Lodge? You say cabins and villas, and they are two totally different locations. I can't comment on the Wilderness Lodge or it's Villas as we've never stayed there (it does not appeal to us for a number of reasons). If you are talking about the Villas, I'm not sure how long the transportation is to any of the parks...obviously, it's only a boat ride away to the MK.

Last edited by KatMark; 02-03-2013 at 01:35 PM.
KatMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
kerri0616
DIS Veteran

We were able to stay in a 1 bedroom OKW for a couple days. I swear it was bigger than my first house! Also loved the convenience of taking the boat Downtown. Love OKW!

Kerri
Old 02-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #13
queenofthehive
DIS Veteran

Without a doubt - OKW is the better option.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
5msvglow
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
We used to rent a car every trip, but now we wait until we are about ready to leave Disney World (usually two days before end of our trip) and head to Marco Island. We like that you can park right outside your building at OKW; and we have had some of the best bus service we've ever had at Disney and never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a bus (if even that). The longest ride is to the MK, but even that was not that long (15 minutes or a little bit more).

My question is are you actually talking about the "Ft. Wildnerness Cabins" or the Wilderness Lodge? You say cabins and villas, and they are two totally different locations. I can't comment on the Wilderness Lodge or it's Villas as we've never stayed there (it does not appeal to us for a number of reasons). If you are talking about the Villas, I'm not sure how long the transportation is to any of the parks...obviously, it's only a boat ride away to the MK.

Apologies, you're right - I mean Fort Wilderness Cabins and Old Key West. Thanks for the advice :-)
Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5msvglow View Post

I've never stayed at OKW but have stayed in a cabin. I don't think there is a lot of "ambiance" at the cabins. The cabin was OK and nice and quiet but they are in a campground. oKW has a much more resort feel to it.

I'm sure the king bed at OKW will be much comfortable than the cabins full size Murphy bed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: