Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
RNBelle
Mouseketeer

Lower carb/No sugar

I am pregnant and on a controlled carb/no sugar. We are going to Disney in 4 weeks, on the DxDP and had booked all ADRs months ago. We have lots of character breakfast so I know that will be easy- eggs, meat and berries or melon. I was concerned about snack credits and the flexibility of trading sides (potatoes for veggies) or getting low sugar, or cheese/fruit plates for desserts. Anyone have any ideas?

I saw casey's had chili as a snack!

Toddling around WDW December 2011 PTR

Last edited by RNBelle; 02-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.
RNBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

I recently asked a similar question. I am diabetic and keep a VERY strict eye on my carb intake. Hubby and I were at WDW earlier this year, but only for two days and the only meals we ate in the park were at table service restaurants. Note on your ADRs that you need low-carb options, and they should be very accommodating with sides, etc. Not so sure about the desserts...we just ordered one from the regular menu so I could have a bite and hubby could eat the rest. Some places do have "sugar free" desserts like brownies, but my general experience is that those kinds of things are often higher in carbs than their sugar-sweetened counterparts.

We're planning a big trip for next year and considering the dining plan...and unfortunately, from what information I've gathered, you're pretty much screwed on snacks. Nearly EVERY snack in the World is sugary or otherwise high carb. IF we do the dining plan, I will probably pack in my own protein-based snacks and leave the credits to my hubby and son (and sneak a few bites of their stuff here and there!).
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
dzorn
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNBelle View Post
I am pregnant and on a controlled carb/no sugar. We are going to Disney in 4 weeks, on the DxDP and had booked all ADRs months ago. We have lots of caracter bfasts so I know that will be easy- eggs, meat and berries or melon. I was concerned about snack credits and the flexibility of trading sides (potatoes for veggies) or getting low sugar, or cheese/fruit plates for desserts. Anyone have any ideas?

I saw caseys had chili as a snack!
Chili is high in carbs, so are berries and melon. Some veggies are can have quite a bit of carbs. I was an insulin depended diabetic during pregancy. I would not do deluxe dining. No way could I have kept my sugar under control eating that much. My doctor did not want me using sugar substitutes.

If you have not gotten a diet from a dietician. Make an appointment. You do need sugar but in controlled portions, spread evenly throught the day.

Denise in MI
Off Site, SSR 2014 (with the Marching Band), ASMu,AKV, BLT Aug/Sept 2012, AKV April 2012, BCV/AKV November 2011, BB April 2011, CBR,BCV,BWV Aug/Sept 2010, ASMu,VWL Nov 2009, CSR September 2009, AKV August 2009, CSR April 09 ,AKV/VWL/OKW Feb 09, TL April 08, DCL January 08, POR August 2007, POR May 2006, ASMo May 2005

dzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
RNBelle
Mouseketeer

Bump!

Toddling around WDW December 2011 PTR
RNBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
jrsmom
DIS Veteran

I am type 2 that keeps pretty good control of my numbers. While chili, and berries do have a good amount of carbs, they are good carbs. That is if the chili has beans in it! They break down slower to help lessen sugar spikes. I will tell you that with all of the walking that you will be doing will really help to keep your numbers in check.

There is a huge difference between good and bad carbs. I am not sure if I could do the deluxe plan. We usually do the basic dining plan with no problems.
jrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
PatsMom
Sometimes has Dory moments!
I have two brothers and either of them would have been proud to be suspended for stinking up the bus

I am also diabetic and watch my carbs. I've never bothered noting anything on my ADR's. I have never had a problem asking for veggies instead of potato - or if the dish already comes with both veggies and starch, asking for more veggie. I don't know about your situation, but when I had gestational diabetes I was supposed to eat some carbs. As I am now. For dinner, about 2 to 3 carb choices. So since the starch servings tend to be on the small side at table service restaurants, I just eat them. And skip dessert or just have a bit of my daughter or husband's.

Watch the no sugar desserts - the sugar alcohols they use can really cause gastrointestinal problems for some. And they typically have just as many carbs as the regular dessert.

At the counter service places, you can get fruit instead of fries. Never a problem with that either.
September 1996 - Fort Wilderness (DD and DH's first trip) October 1999 - Fort Wilderness November 2001 - Fort Wilderness November 2004 - Fort Wilderness November 2005 - Saratoga Springs December 2006 - Saratoga Springs February 2007 - All Star Sports August 2007 - Boardwalk Villas November 2007 - Saratoga Springs February 2008 - Villas at the Wilderness Lodge August 2008 - Old Key West
December 2008 - Saratoga Springs February 2009 - Beach Club Villas September 2009 (50th birthday trip) - Bay Lake Tower January 2010 - Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani Village) May 2010 - Old Key West September 2010 - Bay Lake Tower May 2011 - Beach Club Villas October 2011 - Saratoga Springs January 2012 - Old Key West May 2012 - Old Key West October 2012 - Old Key West January 2013 - Family gathering at Old Key West; May 2013 - Wilderness Lodge Villas; November 2013 - AKL Jambo House; February 2014 - Saratoga Springs
PatsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
smrand
Earning My Ears

My husband is a type 2 diabetic and that is one reason we went with the DxDP. He can have the meals he needs throughout the day. He will simply make smart side choices, and does need some carbs throughout the day. Obviously chili is a smarter snack than an ice cream bar. Yes, it has carbs, but is not a high refined sugar snack. We chose restaurants with healthier choices, much easier for us with table service meals than counter service meals. When we normally eat out, we share our sides so if one of us gets mashed potatoes (higher in carbs) it's not a big deal. We are packing nuts and pb crackers for snacks and he will have some bites of our snacks. Living successfully with diabetes for him simply requires balance. He will be walking many miles each day and that will make a big difference. With where he is he can 'cheat' occasionally and be okay with exercise. Everyone is different and you will just have to keep watch on your blood sugar levels and adjust accordingly.
smrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

I am a type 2 diabetic. I recently returned from a week at WDW. I had little trouble eating CS and keeping the carbs down. WDW offers a diverse selection at the CS places. They will always sub for the fries!! Look at the menus on allears. It is easier than you think!! And, forgot to add, I was NOT on any dining plan!!
dawgsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Melanie B
DIS Veteran

Disney is wonderful at accommodating dietary needs. When were were there last July I wanted a little something at the end of my meal but cake or other sugary desserts didn't sound appealing at all in the summer heat. They were happy to give me a bowl of fresh fruit instead. Most restaurants also have unsweetened tea as well if you want something other then water and soda. Generally we found on the deluxe plan that we really didn't spend money on food as snacks. We were always so satisfied from our meals that we usually spent our credits on bottled drinks.

Feb 2015 Port Orleans French Quarter
Nov 2013 All Star Music
July 2012 Port Orleans Riverside
Aug 2010 Caribbean Beach
Melanie B is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: