Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
kristieboyd
Mouseketeer

"Dumb" question about iPhone "Airplane Mode"

Please forgive my dumb question, but I am not terribly technology savvy.

If I put my phone on Airplane Mode while on the ship, will this prevent charges related to roaming, texts/calls coming through, etc? I want to be able to use the apps I have on my phone (specifically my white noise/digital clock app) but don't want the charges for being out of my area! I normally text a lot, and while most of my friends/family know about the trip, I'm sure a few will still text me while I'm gone. I don't want those coming through and causing charges!

Thanks!
kristieboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieboyd View Post
Please forgive my dumb question, but I am not terribly technology savvy.

If I put my phone on Airplane Mode while on the ship, will this prevent charges related to roaming, texts/calls coming through, etc? I want to be able to use the apps I have on my phone (specifically my white noise/digital clock app) but don't want the charges for being out of my area! I normally text a lot, and while most of my friends/family know about the trip, I'm sure a few will still text me while I'm gone. I don't want those coming through and causing charges!

Thanks!
Yes, putting it in airplane mode will allow you to use it as a clock and even to use it in port to check email if you can get free wifi, but it is basically turned off as a phone and you can't get or receive calls, texts, or use data.

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Keep in mind your phone wont automatically adjust to time zone changes so be careful using it as an alarm clock if you happen to pass through one.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
123LuckyMom
Mouseketeer

If you prefer, you can just turn off cellular usage. Then if there is wifi, you can still access the Internet without incurring fees.
123LuckyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
mamamac
Mouseketeer

When I was in Honduras back in October I turned it onto to airplane mode and then went in and turned my wifi back on. I was scared to death that I would still get roaming charges, but I didn't.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
2Princess&aPrince
no matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing...the dreams that you wish will come true!

Not a dumb question at all!! I was wondering the same thing. I sail in 6 days and am so glad you asked this question...

Disney Magic - November 15-22, 2008
Disney Magic - October 30-Nov. 6, 2010
Disney Fantasy - February 9-16, 2013
Disney Wonder - February 2-7, 2014
Disney Fantasy - May 9-16, 2015

2Princess&aPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Correct. Put it in airplane mode. DON'T move that toggle until you are home . But while its still in airplane mode you have an option to enable wifi. Then if you find wifi in port you will have use of iMessages, Internet, can check email, etc. But no calls or such come thru. But you can text via iMessage with others on Apple products while in the wifi area.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

COOOOOOL I didn't know I could turn the wi-fi part pack on after airplane mode was turned on, it took a few toggles but it just worked at home here.
Thanks

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

You don't need to put it in airplane mode. Just turn off your data roaming. You won't be charged for incoming texts and calls as long as you don't answer them.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

when we come to the US even though I turn off data rioaming I still get texts and am charged $1.60 each for them unless I put a 30 day US data plan on for $40

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds_mommy View Post
when we come to the US even though I turn off data rioaming I still get texts and am charged $1.60 each for them unless I put a 30 day US data plan on for $40
Really? I find that interesting. I'm in the US weekly, and have never had a problem. I would be calling your company. If you are not reading your texts, opening your message folder, then you shouldn't be charged.

I have never had a charge while in the US. When away for an extensive time, I buy a package. But the rest of the year, I have no problems. I even work very close to the border and my phone often picks up the At&T tower. And I still have no problems. Didn't know what 'airplane' mode meant until someone explained it to me recently.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

My DS is on a training cruise for his maritime college. So he is currently in the Caribbean for 6 weeks. (I know, poor baby.) He got the iPhone5 for Christmas. We were really worried about roaming charges since we heard horror stories from other parents about their kids making one call to home but not turning off the roaming feature and the parents getting $2500 phone bills. To prevent this from happening to us, we were told to physically turn off the data roaming feature, turn off "Fetch", and use the airplane mode. In port, I think he has to turn off the airplane mode and will have to find free wifi in those ports to communicate with us via email or skype. We know he would be responsible about sending text messages, but he can't control his friends back home from sending texts which we would have to pay for. He is a teenage guy with a girlfriend. His monthly text messages is in the 5000 range. If you would convert that into individual charges we could get a not so nice bill.

There is an app called WhatsApp that works with Smartphones. I'm sure someone here can give you more details if you would like. You can text message under your regular data package to other Smartphones for free. I know some of the parents had positive things to say about this app.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
1/15 (Eastern)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
MrRay
Mouseketeer

On the Iphone...

Once you turn on Airplane mode you can still turn wi-fi back on, you do not need to ever turn it off. It just keeps cellular data off, so you wont get those kinds of charges. If you connect to wi-fi you can still use iMessage with other people that have Iphones and use iMessage because that works through the internet not text messages. It only uses cellular texts if it can't connect to the internet, but it wont try to do that if you are in airplane mode.

So just keep your phone in airplane mode and rest easy.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:42 AM   #14
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
Correct. Put it in airplane mode. DON'T move that toggle until you are home . But while its still in airplane mode you have an option to enable wifi. Then if you find wifi in port you will have use of iMessages, Internet, can check email, etc. But no calls or such come thru. But you can text via iMessage with others on Apple products while in the wifi area.
My mother and I both have an iPhone4. Are you saying that I can text her using wi-fi only and no charges will accrue? That would be great. Just don't know if I wanna take the risk.
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRay View Post
On the Iphone...

Once you turn on Airplane mode you can still turn wi-fi back on, you do not need to ever turn it off. It just keeps cellular data off, so you wont get those kinds of charges. If you connect to wi-fi you can still use iMessage with other people that have Iphones and use iMessage because that works through the internet not text messages. It only uses cellular texts if it can't connect to the internet, but it wont try to do that if you are in airplane mode.

So just keep your phone in airplane mode and rest easy.
Well, you pretty much answered that for me. I just tested that theory. I turned on Airplane mode and turned Cellular Data off and turned wi-fi back on and texting still worked. Interesting. Thanks, folks!
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: