Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

Loved, loved, LOVED Saratoga Springs! We just stayed there in a 1bedroom villa over Christmas. We originally booked Art of Animation Little Mermaid and were offered an upgrade to OKW, SSR, or Coronado Springs. I chose SSR due to the proximity to Downtown Disney. I requested Congress Park and our request was granted. The resort was soooo quiet and peaceful. I loved being able to park right behind our building. We rode the bus several times too and the waits were all 15 minutes or less. DH loved it so much, he wants to stay there all the time! I'm still trying to get him to buy into DVC!
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #32
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxePrincess View Post
Loved, loved, LOVED Saratoga Springs! We just stayed there in a 1bedroom villa over Christmas. We originally booked Art of Animation Little Mermaid and were offered an upgrade to OKW, SSR, or Coronado Springs. I chose SSR due to the proximity to Downtown Disney. I requested Congress Park and our request was granted. The resort was soooo quiet and peaceful. I loved being able to park right behind our building. We rode the bus several times too and the waits were all 15 minutes or less. DH loved it so much, he wants to stay there all the time! I'm still trying to get him to buy into DVC!
If you do consider buying into DVC, check out resales and save a lot of money.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #33
Havana
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at all of the DVC resorts and love them all for their special theming, or being close to parks. SSR is the resort I miss the most when I am staying somewhere else.I think it is because it is kind of an escape, it is so peaceful and easy to relax there.

Havana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette View Post
Love this post! I am staying there next month because it was the only resort I could get into marathon weekend. I requested Congress Park after doing some research... I'm not going down for the marathon, I'm going down for the Yankee/Braves spring training game at Wide World of Sports. I thought Congress Park would be good because I could walk to the bus in DTD because to get to Wide World of Sports I have to get to CBR or one of the Allstars and take a bus from there. I did request a room looking at DTD as well so we will see how this goes. I look at it like whatever I'm at Disney and if I don't like it I can cross it off the bucket list!!

Thanks for your post!!

~Nannette
Hi Nanette - I would be very interested to know how you get on with your room request. How did you actually make it? I have a specific part that I would like to stay in too and would be disappointed if I didn't get it. We will be there for 2 weeks so I kinda hope they can help out...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #35
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

QUOTE=DeluxePrincess;47380834]Loved, loved, LOVED Saratoga Springs! We just stayed there in a 1bedroom villa over Christmas. We originally booked Art of Animation Little Mermaid and were offered an upgrade to OKW, SSR, or Coronado Springs. I chose SSR due to the proximity to Downtown Disney. I requested Congress Park and our request was granted. The resort was soooo quiet and peaceful. I loved being able to park right behind our building. We rode the bus several times too and the waits were all 15 minutes or less. DH loved it so much, he wants to stay there all the time! I'm still trying to get him to buy into DVC![/QUOTE]

Hi - how did you manage to make a request? If you don't mind me asking!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #36
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana View Post
We have stayed at all of the DVC resorts and love them all for their special theming, or being close to parks. SSR is the resort I miss the most when I am staying somewhere else.I think it is because it is kind of an escape, it is so peaceful and easy to relax there.
Thanks Havana!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #37
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumFairyUK View Post
Hi Nanette - I would be very interested to know how you get on with your room request. How did you actually make it? I have a specific part that I would like to stay in too and would be disappointed if I didn't get it. We will be there for 2 weeks so I kinda hope they can help out...
Just add your request to your reservation. And, don't forget, a request is just a request. It isn't guaranteed.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #38
nannette
Hmm... dislikes Trolls the kind with green hair and big eyes wearing Mickey ears!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarPlumFairyUK View Post
I actually just called the DVC member services reservation number and asked to have it added to my reservation. As Deb said it is just a request, but I believe they really try to make it happen if at all possible. I'm also arriving very early on the 21st so I'll ask when I arrive and check in as well!

Good Luck to you and enjoy your time!!

~Nannette
Old 02-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtauer View Post
I agree with the other (most of them anyway) reports.

If you want to be completely Disney engulfed, and in the midst of the action, SSR isn't that resort. It's not close to the theme parks, and doesn't have the Disney theming many of the resorts have. That being said, that's also what we love about it.

When sitting at the pool, especially the quiet pools, it feels like you are a world away from the theme parks. The rooms are very quiet, and we think somewhat luxuriously furnished for a hotel room. Very peaceful and quiet throughout the resort.

However, from Congress Park, you are only a 5 minute walk from Downtown Disney and a bus ride from the theme parks.

Also, if you do want a more typical Disney food court or gift shop, Port Orleans Riverside and French Quarter are a nice boat ride away.

For us, it's a great contrast, very relaxing and peaceful at the resort, but yet still a Disney resort and all of the conveniences and service that go with that. In addition, the nightime view of Downtown Disney across the lake is incredible. We love spending our evenings that aren't in a park, sitting at the Congress Park quiet pool and just gazing at the lights of Downtown Disney.
Thanks Darren, I already have visions of us sitting by the pool at night with the bright lights of DTD across the water Hoping we can get the CP section....
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #40
SugarPlumFairyUK
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannette View Post
I actually just called the DVC member services reservation number and asked to have it added to my reservation. As Deb said it is just a request, but I believe they really try to make it happen if at all possible. I'm also arriving very early on the 21st so I'll ask when I arrive and check in as well!

Good Luck to you and enjoy your time!!

~Nannette
Thanks Nanette - you too!!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:24 AM   #41
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

SSR -
relaxing, quiet, peaceful, calm pool, great spa, some good food (try Turf Club), depending on where you are - very convenient to DTD, very large and spread out from end to end

things I enjoyed -
*sitting in a rocking chair outside Artist Point watching the sunset in the evenings - turns pink and coral - reflects the colors of the buildings very nicely
*sitting on my balcony enjoying the sounds from DTD (I was in Congress Park close to DTD)
*boat to and from DTD
*the quiet pool and jacuzzi spa at Congress Park

What I didn't really enjoy -
*the distance to Artist Point to fill up my mug or get to the boat dock
*the numerous in resort bus stops

SSR is a beautiful and enjoyable resort! Have a great time!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 HKDL Disneyland Hotel * December 2014 HKDL Hollywood Hotel * February 2015 DLRP Newport Bay Club *
New Trip Reports August and December Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3356993http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118

ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #42
AuroraMeansDawn
DIS Veteran

We stayed and had a lovely 1BR on the first floor in Congress Park (I think - I've slept since then) with a view of DTD and it was lovely. It was also HUGE! It was fun to watch the boats go by too. It was a little spread out for us though. Only ventured up to the food court once.

We had a car for the first night as we rented one to return from Port Canaveral off a cruise and it was really easy to drop it off the next morning at the Doubletree (Again, I think that was it, return location)

We stopped at a little convenience store and picked up sodas, wine, snacks etc because it was a long walk to the food court and main building so we never used our mugs but I loved the hot tub, being able to wash a few things. I"m not one who will do much laundry or cook on vacation but a handy corkscrew and glasses and leftover WPE was a nice way to come home one afternoon.

Not sure that I'd book it twice but mostly because I like to try new things and I don't think the villa fits my vacation style. If i stayed longer I would probably would though.
Nov 1991 Offsite - June 1997 Disneyland Paris - May 1999 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - May 2000 Dixie Landings - Alligator Bayou - December 2008 - Animal Kingdom Lodge November 2010 POFQ - 25th Wedding Anniversary SSR with my Prince Charming - April 2011 - March 2013 Graduation Trip for my Boy at POFQ
AuroraMeansDawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: