Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
NoraG
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Feel free to pick my brains about Cowboys & Canyons! I still think it's a fabulous itinerary!

That's about the price I'm seeing. And yes, I was looking at the PHL to ATH flight. Only 8 seats left? That's a bit scary. I really can't book until I'm sure that Kevin gets me booked on the trip. Just in case something goes wrong. So, hopefully tomorrow or Tuesday. I was going to do the 2 pre-nights in Athens, and the post-night in Athens, also. When are you leaving Athens at the end of the trip? On the 3rd?
They've had those eight seats for a few days. I doubt they'll all go in just a few more. We're leaving Athens on the 4th-doing two post nights.

Quote:
Did ABD say that the post-night is at the same hotel? It just seems crazy that it's like 75% more expensive after the trip than before it... But the times for the Crete to Athens flights don't work that well with the flights from Athens to home. I think I'll call ABD & see what they say. I agree with you that in this case it's best to buy the airfare through ABD if you can, if you got their insurance.
I briefly looked at going home direclty and there should be three flights out of Crete to Athens each day. The first one gets you into Athens before 8am, so there should be a way to get a one-stop flight home as well. The insurance seemed to cover everything-all flights, the land tour, pre and post nights and transportation to/from hotels and airports and was competitively priced from what I could tell.

Quote:
Yes, this trip is also *very* much more expensive than the Spirit of America trip, too. But I *am* really looking forward to going to Greece, too. About the plane; do most people think that's a good thing or a bad thing? Personally, I flew on a plane to London that had the personal entertainment system, and the electronics for it was under each seat, and took up 1/2 the under-seat space. TOTALLY not worth it! I had my iPad with me, and that was better entertainment than the built-in system...
I've never had that problem before-only children constantly tapping/banging the seat to play games. I enjoy having movies, but we're considering a Kindle Fire to keep us occupied. My mom has an ipad, but it's awfully large and heavy for such a long trip. We've found it's hard to fit in hotel safes as well. I think it's just personal preference.
NoraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #17
NoraG
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info abdgeek and tufbuf. Those intineraries help me get an idea of what we'll be able to accomplish. Any further info on the trip to Corinth would be appreciated. It looks like we'll be able to do everything we want and more! As the dates get closer, I'll start pulling out the travel books and maps and make a tentative intinerary. Work has been crazy, so when I have more than one day off per week, I'll work on it. Your help has been fantastic. Feel free to keep the tips coming!

I am considering a pair of Teva shoes that are good for walking, but can get wet (like for kayaking), but then dry quickly and can be worn all day. Any thoughts on whether a shoe like this would work? An acquaintance used them heavily in the middle east for rafting, water hikes, etc. and seemed to like them.
NoraG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #18
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

I sent you a pm!

The Teva shoes would do fine. You just have to make sure you have non-slip sole for hiking in the volcano. It can be slippery plus you get dust and dirt in your shoe constantly. You might want to wear socks or closed toe shoes. The marble you will be walking on as well (the Acropolis) can also be slippery.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #19
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks! I'll take a look at Turkish Air. Did you have to get yourself from the Athens hotel to the post-night in Athens, or did ABD take care of that?

Thanks!
Sayhello
We booked through ABD so transport to and from Athens airport was with them (we rode with the guides in the van after the trip for our one night post stay which was great-allowed us to ask questions and provide feedback!) Both pres and post nights were at the same hotel as our ABD stay in Athens.
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
We booked through ABD so transport to and from Athens airport was with them (we rode with the guides in the van after the trip for our one night post stay which was great-allowed us to ask questions and provide feedback!) Both pres and post nights were at the same hotel as our ABD stay in Athens.
Thanks. So I guess that's part of why the post-night costs more than the pre-night? Because it includes an extra couple of transfers? I guess that makes sense. That's great about traveling with the guides. What time was your flight on Crete?

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #21
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoraG View Post
I am considering a pair of Teva shoes that are good for walking, but can get wet (like for kayaking), but then dry quickly and can be worn all day. Any thoughts on whether a shoe like this would work? An acquaintance used them heavily in the middle east for rafting, water hikes, etc. and seemed to like them.
I have a pair of Keens that I use in that same way. I like them because they are very comfortable, and have an enclosed toe.

Sayhello
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #22
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. So I guess that's part of why the post-night costs more than the pre-night? Because it includes an extra couple of transfers? I guess that makes sense. That's great about traveling with the guides. What time was your flight on Crete?

Sayhello
My notes indicate there were two hotel shuttle departure times --4 am and 6 am (we were on the 6 am shuttle to the airport), with a few staying an extra night or two in Crete. I believe our Crete flight wasn't until 10 or 11, for a short flight to Athens.
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
My notes indicate there were two hotel shuttle departure times --4 am and 6 am (we were on the 6 am shuttle to the airport), with a few staying an extra night or two in Crete. I believe our Crete flight wasn't until 10 or 11, for a short flight to Athens.
4am or 6am?!??!!!! Are they insane???? That's positively inhuman!

Sayhello
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #24
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
4am or 6am?!??!!!! Are they insane???? That's positively inhuman!

Sayhello
Yup, I remember getting up at 3 am to catch our shuttle. The airport is far from the hotel, about an hour or a little over without traffic. Aegean Air is also very finicky about luggage weight, just an FYI.

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #25
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

OK, so it's really officially official now. I just bought my airline tickets! I bought them through ABD, because they were able to include the Aegean leg as a part of the whole ticket, which I could not do myself. So NoraG, it looks like we'll be on the same flight from Philly to Athens! The only bummer was, the only seats left (besides 2 seats in the VERY BACK CORNER of the plane) were "Preferred Seats", so I had to pay an extra $50 to get an assigned seat. If there was actually anything better about these seats (like extra leg room) it would be worth it, but I guess it's better than 10 hours in the back of the plane!

I'm only doing one post-night, though, in Athens.

Looking forward to getting to know you, NoraG!

Now I have to start thinking about what I'm going to do with my pre- and post-days.

Plus, I've been reading the book on Greek Myths that ABD sent to Insiders when they introduced this trip. Good heavens, it's complicated! I'll probably forget 75% of it, but at least it will be familiar to me!

Three and a half months!!!!

Sayhello

Last edited by sayhello; 02-01-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #26
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, so it's really officially official now. I just bought my airline tickets! I bought them through ABD, because they were able to include the Aegean leg as a part of the whole ticket, which I could not do myself. So NoraG, it looks like we'll be on the same flight from Philly to Athens! The only bummer was, the only seats left (besides 2 seats in the VERY BACK CORNER of the plane) were "Preferred Seats", so I had to pay an extra $50 to get an assigned seat. If there was actually anything better about these seats (like extra leg room) it would be worth it, but I guess it's better than 10 hours in the back of the plane!

I'm only doing one post-night, though, in Athens.

Looking forward to getting to know you, NoraG!

Now I have to start thinking about what I'm going to do with my pre- and post-days.

Plus, I've been reading the book on Greek Myths that ABD sent to Insiders when they introduced this trip. Good heavens, it's complicated! I'll probably forget 75% of it, but at least it will be familiar to me!

Three and a half months!!!!

Sayhello
The "Top10" Athens book was invaluable (and I went through a lot of tour books before concluding that and it proved true on the trip)
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #27
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
The "Top10" Athens book was invaluable (and I went through a lot of tour books before concluding that and it proved true on the trip)
Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Athens-EYE.../dp/0756684625

Thanks!
Sayhello
Old 02-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #28
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Athens-EYE.../dp/0756684625

Thanks!
Sayhello
That's the one-also has info about Delphi
Old 02-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #29
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
That's the one-also has info about Delphi
Cool! My Barnes & Noble has this, so I'll go get it as soon as the snow goes away!

Sayhello
Old 02-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

"I am considering a pair of Teva shoes that are good for walking, but can get wet (like for kayaking), but then dry quickly and can be worn all day. Any thoughts on whether a shoe like this would work? An acquaintance used them heavily in the middle east for rafting, water hikes, etc. and seemed to like them."

Hi NoraG,

I bought Keen's(similar to Teva's) for the Greece trip and I was glad I did. I wore them everywhere I didn't have to wear sneakers. I also wore them when we kayaked, swam in the Agean and Mediterranean seas and when we hiked the volcano. As a PP said, you will get lots of dirt and pebbles in your shoes when you hike the volcano. Either wear socks with your Keen's(that's what Landon our ABD guide did) or wear sneakers. The beaches in Greece have rocks. You can always go barefoot, but they advise that you wear some sort of water shoe when you swim so that you don't cut your feet. Some people did, some didn't. At the hot springs, you either have to tread water or stand on slippery rocks as you're walking. The same thing with Kamari beach; enter and exit from the water is challenging because of the slippery rocks you're walking on.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: