Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
panda8899
Mouseketeer

The reason so many people have said that it is best to know where you will be working is because it can be a very far drive from one side of town with traffic and construction. I live in the Davenport area and we hardly ever go into Orlando, because it takes awhile to get there. So, knowing where you will most likely be working would help narrow down where you should look for housing so your drive is not awful every day.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #32
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMermaid View Post
To everyone talking about finding work before an apartment- I'm a chef. I've done fine dining, to a school, to a chain/pizza place. Honestly, I can find work just about anywhere.

Thanks again for all your help!
In that case, job market being what it is, odds are good you're going to end up at WDW/Lake Buena Vista, or along Sand Lake Road/I-Drive.

I'd look at the Sea World area, specifically Westwood Blvd. The Vinings is the nicest (and priciest), Monterey Lake is the cheapest, Broadwater falls somewhere in the middle. There are a few places down the street, as well, off I-Drive (the non-touristy part).

Convenient to the tourist locations--with access to back roads when I-4 gets jammed up--but still only 20 minutes from downtown Orlando, local demographic skews young (20s and 30s), very safe, and the nicest Publix I've ever been in. Money saved in gas and the quality of the area makes it worth the slightly higher lease rates.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #33
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Does anybody know how the area is for collections/ call centers? I know there are a few centers down there, but was wondering if anybody knows someone who works at one.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #34
4 Ears
previously 8 Ears

Disneys call centers are in Lake Bueuna Vista, Tampa and Celebration. Lakeland has Sykes. Do a Google search for Florida Call Centers and lots pop up.
4 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #35
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

OP...good luck and I hope you find something you'll like...work wise and home wise.

Welcome to the Orlando area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Ears View Post
Disneys call centers are in Lake Bueuna Vista, Tampa and Celebration. Lakeland has Sykes. Do a Google search for Florida Call Centers and lots pop up.
What happened to the Disney reservation center on Carrier Drive? I interviewed there when I first moved here. Did that one close?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #36
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Is the pay in the area really as bad as in hearing? I mean, with my experience min I can take is about 17 an hour. I always hear its min wage or nothing around Orlando
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #37
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

my wife and I often talk about making the move to florida...we just got married in our mid thirties and hate the north east winters!! I did the college program at disney in 2001 and loved every second of it...it is a place where going to work was exciting...but the pay down there scares me a little unless it changed since 2001. I work in the hospitality industry now and enjoy...but not as much as I enjoyed working for Disney!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #38
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Ears View Post
There are a number of call centers out in Lake Mary outside Orlando.

A neighbor that I see only every once in a while works in a call center for a company called Convergys over in north Orlando, which was scheduled to open another call center over off of John Young, somewhere by that WalMart. I think that is part of MetroWest in Orlando.
SanFranciscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #39
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeprogram01 View Post
my wife and I often talk about making the move to florida...we just got married in our mid thirties and hate the north east winters!! I did the college program at disney in 2001 and loved every second of it...it is a place where going to work was exciting...but the pay down there scares me a little unless it changed since 2001. I work in the hospitality industry now and enjoy...but not as much as I enjoyed working for Disney!
Oh, I understand. I am currently on medical leave from Disney while seeking medical accommodations in order to return to work. I talked to casting yesterday, and Health Services says that I qualify as disabled for a couple of different conditons now. I think that qualifies Disney for a couple of tax breaks under the Americans With Disabilities Act for returning me to payroll like I hope that they will do. I have been told repeatedly that as good as I am at marketing that I could make better money elsewhere, but I am an older woman who is beyond worrying about climbing any corporate ladders. I want a chance to create some happiness and simply make enough money to pay the rent for whatever time I have left.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #40
collegeprogram01
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info! I not looking to making millions...just a bit more more then minimum wage! we just want to live comfortable, simple lives with disney as a part of it!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #41
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFranciscan View Post
A neighbor that I see only every once in a while works in a call center for a company called Convergys over in north Orlando, which was scheduled to open another call center over off of John Young, somewhere by that WalMart. I think that is part of MetroWest in Orlando.
No...MW doesn't extend to that side of Kirkman Road. The Walmart is in MW but JYP is no where near it.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #42
SanFranciscan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
No...MW doesn't extend to that side of Kirkman Road. The Walmart is in MW but JYP is no where near it.
There are so many WalMart stores around Orlando that I get them confused. I just know that the 57 bus line down John Young Parkway heads over toward the WalMart that I believe that I am thinking of. I don't get around much though unless I am going to work.

While the land area called "MetroWest" seems to be quite large, I don't trust realtors or rental agents at all when it comes to neighborhood boundaries. I have lived in Orlando only since 2011, living in a part of town misrepresented as "Millenia", even by signs at the entrances to apartment complexes. I assure you that the shopkeepers at the expensive stores at the Mall of Millenia would prefer that their customers not know that my neighborhood exists.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
Miumiu4me
Mouseketeer

Baldwin, Thornton Park, dr Phillips, College Park , and windimere are nice, safe areas. Avoid places off of OBT /the Pine Hills area.
Miumiu4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #44
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.

One of the reasons I moved to Orlando is because I love WDW so much! Enjoy! It is very nice to be able to zip to the Parks for a short visit whenever you want to.

I am not 20 something - closer to retirement - liking the country, quiet places - but I have spent a lot of time looking around Orlando. I like the Disney backwoods, Windermere, and Winter Garden - but it is somewhat remote. I also like Hunter's Creek and Celebration is unique though may be not for me. Clermont and Ocooee also have some nice areas - but may be 30 minutes from WDW. North side - Altamonte Springs has a nice community feel with Crane's Roost park - people jogging, concerts every now and again - a nice apartment complex - outside of the park area may be not as nice. Longwood is not far from there may be nicer. Lake Mary is a nice area but far from WDW.

For 20 somethings - I know there are lost of club areas downtown - Church Street - I think Dr. Phillips might be more convenient to downtown.

Good luck with your move!!
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR * August 2014 Hong Kong Disneyland *
New Trip Report Hong Kong Disneyland http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report

Last edited by ExpatDisneyLover; 02-09-2013 at 02:07 PM.
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #45
Jason71
Brother to pirates and corsairs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
Is the pay in the area really as bad as in hearing? I mean, with my experience min I can take is about 17 an hour. I always hear its min wage or nothing around Orlando
In a word, yes--pay is that bad. Obviously some jobs pay more than minimum wage, but overall pay rates are lower here than other parts of Florida and much lower than the northeast. Of course, there is no state income tax, but even then probably not enough to offset the difference.
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: