Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #91
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 7, Castaway Cay Part 6

Now we are jumping around the room. We had already had the vacation of our lives and thought it was just about over. And now our sister ship was zooming towards us. Packing got a little more frantic because now there was one other big thing that we had to do. We needed to finish packing quickly so that we could head up to deck to see the Dream.

We ran up to Deck 13 forward as she was still sailing in. Brent made an announcement to anyone who hadn't already noticed.

She sailed right in front of us and then started to do a slow turn like a lady showing off a pretty dress.

The top decks on the Dream were packed and cameras were snapping away. I occasionally popped up the flash on my camera so it gave a little eye candy for the people on the other ship. There were also plenty of crew on our ship on the top decks with their cameras. It was very exciting.

A Short horn battle ensued.

Eventually it was time to say goodbye...

And now we walked back to our room feeling like our vacation was completely victorious.

Next...Could there really be more?...
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:33 PM   #92
Floridagram
DIS Veteran

So the Dream just sailed up to say hello and left? How cool is that for both ships!?!??!?!?! I had read before that often one can be seen by the other at CC, it must be on the route to Nassau.
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #93
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
So the Dream just sailed up to say hello and left? How cool is that for both ships!?!??!?!?! I had read before that often one can be seen by the other at CC, it must be on the route to Nassau.
When we were just hopeful that the ship on the horizon was the Dream we started looking at the book with all the Itineraries and saw that the Dream was unaccounted for 3 nights. We later learned it was a special DVC Member cruise. I can only assume it was a special treat for them.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #94
DLBDS
Loves that Sweetened Condensed Milk

Thumbs up

I don't read trip reports very often but really enjoyed yours. You did a fantastic job... and you guys are so cute together!
May 2011 Disney Dream (9674) / Wilderness Lodge (4034 Woods View)
October 2010
Disney Wonder (6598)/Wilderness Lodge (7107 Club Level)/Animal KingdomLodge (4311 Club Level)
February 2009 Port Orleans Riverside (2404 Alligator Bayou) May 2009 Hard Rock Hotel/Swan/DIS Podcast Cruise (Disney Wonder) (6592)
September 2008 Contemporary Resort (5150 Garden Wing)
February 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7044 Club Level) June 2007 Hawthorn Suites (Off Property) October 2007 Wilderness Lodge (7048 Club Level)
Nov/Dec 2006 - Wilderness Lodge (3167 Courtyard)
DLBDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #95
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

Great trip report! Loved your pictures, especially of the Dream swinging by CC! We will be doing this itinerary in Sept, so reading your TR has gotten me into trip planning mode!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:23 AM   #96
Aigantighe
Earning My Ears

We are on the same cruise next January and we are LOVING your TR. Thanks!!
Aigantighe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #97
applecore72
Earning My Ears

Great report!

European, DVC owner, Disney World addict, Disney Cruise Line traveller
applecore72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #98
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Cruise Day 7, Castaway Cay Part 7

After all the excitement we had to really start getting things done. We started by going to order the 3 pictures we wanted to buy.
As you can imagine Shutters is a complete madhouse on the last night, but if you're having pictures taken all the way up to the end it's pretty hard to avoid going at this time.

We also settled our room tab because we were paying for everything with some Disney Rewards cards that we had earned by using the Disney Visa. Just an FYI they start charging your credit card on file after you go over $500 so keep an eye on that.

We headed back to our room to get ready for dinner and low and behold we had caught up to the Dream.

This was a nice treat as you don't really get to see what the ship looks like at night. It's a vibrant jewel in a sea of darkness.

The Dream had slowed down so we could pass and then we just watched her fade away behind us.

We dropped our bags outside and headed to dinner...

We had a nice simple dinner in "Royal Court". We knew we would see everyone the next morning so it wasn't completely depressing yet, but we handed off all of our tip envelopes and spent an extra moment thanking the staff for all of their hard work. We had lucked out with a really great team.

Afterwards there was still plenty of action going on around the ship. We wandered around a little but once again we were toast. There was a lot of excitement packed into one day. We made sure that everything was in order and headed off to bed for the last time on the ship. But luckily we had a stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge to look forward to.

Next... It's time to leave.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #99
GervaisCouple
Mouseketeer

Kyss Bag

Thanks for the Kyss bag recommendation. We expedited our purchase so we could test drive the bag before our 2014 cruise. Just got back from a mini-vacay to Wisconsin Dells and let me say the Kyss bag was awesome!
GervaisCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #100
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GervaisCouple View Post
Thanks for the Kyss bag recommendation. We expedited our purchase so we could test drive the bag before our 2014 cruise. Just got back from a mini-vacay to Wisconsin Dells and let me say the Kyss bag was awesome!
Awesome, I'm glad it is working out. Ours has been great. Helps give some peace of mind, I still don't ever let my guard down...but you can't watch your bag, or be close to it all the time.

Safe travels!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #101
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

MrRay,

I'm just wondering about the meet up with the Dream. It was at Castaway Cay but they didn't stop? Where they just sailing by? Just curious...and I don't want your report to end.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #102
MrRay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzieDuster View Post
MrRay,

I'm just wondering about the meet up with the Dream. It was at Castaway Cay but they didn't stop? Where they just sailing by? Just curious...and I don't want your report to end.
They swung by castaway cay near the end of our day there and then started to sail away and then started to sail away. After getting a little ways out they pretty much hit the breaks and just sat there. I think they were going to castaway the next day and were probably just killing time overnight.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #103
MrRay
Mouseketeer

The Day After...Part 1

I woke up early as we were pulling into Port Canaveral. The bright orange lights pouring into our room and all the activity outside was a sad reminder of where we were. And as much as I enjoyed having it off the whole week I could not keep myself from turning my phone on to check all of my messages. It was just sitting on the bed stand taunting me with all the stuff I was ignoring.

Once the sun came up we made a trip up to the Cove Cafe to redeem my last free coffee and take a quick walk around. They were already hard at work doing maintenance around the pools.

We returned to our room to pack our last few things before heading to our 8 a.m. breakfast. On our last trip out to the balcony we saw the busses lined up to take everyone away.

Also they were FINALLY taking some of the Christmas decorations away. January 12th by this point.

We gathered our things and headed to breakfast, which was in Royal Court.

We had a lovely last breakfast with our table mates. With the help of working phones we were all Facebook friends by the end. We ended up having a very nice leisurely breakfast amidst all the chaos of everyone leaving the ship. Then reality started to sink in as we looked at our watches. We were supposed to be off the ship by 9 to be at the last bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge at 9:15.

We snagged one group picture with our servers and headed off.

It was sad to be leaving the ship but we were excited to have our 1 night stay at the AKL to look forward to.

Next...Animal Kingdom Lodge
Old 02-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #104
MrRay
Mouseketeer

The Day After... Part 2

We were a little intimidated when we saw the customs area. We had foolishly not left ourselves too much time to get to our bus and the line seemed pretty long. In reality it moved pretty fast though.

One through we headed out to the buses and hopped on at 9:10...5 minutes before it was supposed to leave....

...Then we sat there for an hour.

I don't think it ended up leaving until after 10 sometime. But that's fine we were tired and tried to make the best of sitting around.

Eventually we were on our way.

Sad last look of the ship.

A little over an hour later pulling onto Disney property. After stops at a few other resorts we finally pulled up to the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I just want to take a second to say that we are both big fans of the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We have visited it a few times over previous trips to WDW, but never stayed there. We have eaten Boma breakfast once and dinner at Jiko twice. We have always wanted to stay here but it’s just so expensive we couldn’t see staying a whole trip. So being in Florida already it seemed like the perfect time to do a one nighter… So again we were BIG fans coming in.

Check-In was extensive. I swear they give you more paperwork and pamphlets to look at there then they did on the cruise. We had booked a Savannah view room, which was ready, and started on our way.

The room seemed alright. The whole hotel is very dark and that carries over into the room. DCL is bright everywhere so it's even more shocking to then stay in such a dark place.

The view was nice. When we first got there not too many animals were around but they kept moving throughout the day so we eventually saw plenty of zebras and giraffes.

We were starving by this point so we set out to go to "Mara" to get some lunch. We had gotten very spoiled on the cruise of having everything very close by, you can probably get to anywhere on the ship in 5 minutes if needed. By contrast everything in WDW feels like its miles away. To get to Mara we had to walk down a long hallway, walk up a flight of stairs, across the lobby, down another flight of stairs, and a short walk outside. It's a little clunky, especially if you just want to run out for a cup of coffee.

For the price the food is pretty good there. We like trying more exotic foods, we had African Stew and a Chicken Pita. Both were good.

Refueled we thought we'd go in the pool for a bit...back in the building, up the stairs, across the lobby, down the stairs, and down the long hallway...in the dark. Also serving as a reminder that we were no longer on the ship was the fact that for the most part none of the staff said hi to us as we walked past...Everything seemed just less friendly.

We took a couple pitstops at some viewing areas along the way...

Eventually we grabbed our stuff from the room and headed back to the pool.

Next...More AKL
Old 02-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #105
MomToPrincePhillip
Mouseketeer

Oh man I'm so looking forward to our cruise, but I'm really dreading that last day...
Like you we've booked a night at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I hope it softens the blow at bit. I'm looking forward to your next update!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: