Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
cootiezoo
Earning My Ears

WiFi reliability (POFQ, specifically)

Hi!

I'll be in WDW next week and I have to take an exam for one of my classes while I'm there. I've read that the WiFi speed at POFQ can vary depending on where your room is located, which is fine because I don't mind moving around to find a decent spot. My concern is with the reliability of the internet connection. I'd hate to be in the middle of my test and then poof! My connection is gone and my test is potentially ruined.

I am allowed to miss one test during the semester with no penalty to my overall grade, but I have to let my instructor know beforehand. I'd rather not miss a test because I want all of the grades that I can get.

I'm trying to decide if I should skip this test or if it should be okay for me to take it on the resort's WiFi. So, any input on the reliability of the WiFi would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
cootiezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cootiezoo View Post
Hi!

I'll be in WDW next week and I have to take an exam for one of my classes while I'm there. I've read that the WiFi speed at POFQ can vary depending on where your room is located, which is fine because I don't mind moving around to find a decent spot. My concern is with the reliability of the internet connection. I'd hate to be in the middle of my test and then poof! My connection is gone and my test is potentially ruined.

I am allowed to miss one test during the semester with no penalty to my overall grade, but I have to let my instructor know beforehand. I'd rather not miss a test because I want all of the grades that I can get.

I'm trying to decide if I should skip this test or if it should be okay for me to take it on the resort's WiFi. So, any input on the reliability of the WiFi would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
There is a lot of great info on the wifi system and other alternatives, on the sticky at the top of the page.

You may want to bring some sort-of back-up mode just in case, if it is that critical.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks!
Due to a nasty stomach bug, I learned that the WiFi worked beautifully at POR -- I think I watched 18 hours of movies on Netflix on my iPad with no issues at all. Given that they are comparable resorts, I would bet that POFQ has the same.

Tom
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
happyleesh
Mouseketeer

We stayed at POFQ (building 5, river view) in January and had NO problems with wifi - we streamed netflix, emails/facebook/dis/etc. and it was great! we had multiple devices going at once too without issue.

happyleesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
merina888
Mouseketeer

My family stayed at POFQ in August. My kindle got an ok signal, but my husband's laptop got an inconsistent one. From what I've heard it's that way at every resort. Some rooms get great signal, and some get terrible signal. If it's crucial, I would suggest bringing an alternate source or go to a convention resort (like CSR) and use their business center. None of the resorts have wired access any longer.
merina888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

We stayed there in June and our laptop got very inconsistent wifi. We used it to Skype Grandma and some days it worked great and others it wouldn't work at all.

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
cootiezoo
Earning My Ears

Thanks y'all! I think I'll try to seek out an alternate solution just in case.
cootiezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Sofiesmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks y'all! I think I'll try to seek out an alternate solution just in case.
We were in Building 3 on the top floor, the furthest possible building away and we got a perfect signal. I was on the laptop and my cell and had no problems.
Sofiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Also, if you have problems, the wi-fi in the public areas (by the pool, in the lobby, etc) is generally stronger and faster than in-room. If it's not too distracting, I can think of worse places to do a test than sitting in some shaded area by a Disney pool with a drink from the pool bar to hand... If you'd prefer to be indoors though, the Scat Cat's lounge is usually deserted during the day.

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
andrewilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 AM   #10
strmtroopr96
DIS Veteran

We were there in August/September and had major wifi issues at both Pop and POFQ. We were in building 2 at POFQ overlooking both the river and pool area. I had family staying at AoA with the same issues and heard the same for the Beach Club.

I did notice there were always a few people sitting outside of the food court in the early morning time using laptops so maybe there was a better connection there? I never tried using my laptop in that area.
'77 FW'89 Disneyland'91 Poly'94 CBR'96 ASMusic 1997 WDW College Program~~Merchandise @ World of Disney~~Vistaway 3811'97 Shades of Green'97 Dixie Landings'00 ASsports'02 POR'03 ASMovies'04 Pop '05 Pop'05 ASMovies'06 Pop '07 Pop '08 ASMovies '09 Pop '10 Coronado Springs '11 Pop '12 POFQ '13 Pop '13 Pop '14 POFQ
strmtroopr96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: