Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 12:51 AM   #841
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib
The other gals had ordered food, but since we had just eaten, we didn't, but we did each order a pop.

We weren't there for long and decided to get moving. For some reason the waitress put it all on one bill. So annoying. I swear she said that it was $1.50 American to $1 Grand Cayman, but we asked Carolyn how much we owed her and she gave us a price that seemed way too little. I think Lisa gave her the money for our drinks since I paid the tip on the snorkeling excursion, so I am not for sure what the exact total came to.

We decided to take a bus around the island and see what it looked like. Lisa and I debated on this a bit. It sounded fun, yet we weren't sure we wanted to do it. Finally we said OK and went along.

As we headed out we took picture of Margaritaville.

Lisa and I.

They had a pool area here too.

Another stop for touristy pictures.

We had a few issues finding this bus stop. We were told it was behind Margaritaville, but honestly we just didnt see it, nor any buses around.

We decided to look in here a minute because who ever heard of bamboo socks?

Well they had them and sheets and just about anything you could think of made out of bamboo. The clothing was VERY soft, and PRICEY.

We won't be taking those home with us.

We kept on looking

Lots of Banks in Grand Cayman. And jewelry stores. At one point Shelly asked what the local time was as it was an hour ahead on clock she saw. I thought that was correct, but the ship stayed on Galveston time. But then later we saw another clock that had the same time as Galveston. Weird. We never figured it out. Some people said they were the same, while other said it was an hour ahead.

Finally we asked someone where the bus stop was. Well we weren't too far ......and this was not really a bus. There was an area with lots of vans parked. These were the buses. They asked where you wanted to go, more like a taxi that followed a route. We said we just wanted to make a loop and end up back here. So we all got in and started off. This van still made stops throughout the island, but very few people got on or off. You could tell some people used this to get to and from work, and I must say, if you got on near the beginning of the route and worked near the end, that is a long ride ....at least it seemed like it to me.

The whole reason for this ride was to see some local life. I will warn you now, I took quite a few pictures .......through a window in a moving van, so needless to say, they are not great, but it will give you an idea what the island is like.

Our bus is fresh too!

Lets just say some of the decor is kind of interesting.
I am sleeping on their bamboo sheets right now. Super soft and cool. I got mine in Cozumel with a free shipping card and 10%off. Two years later I can say it was money well spent.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #842
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I would have loved to see the church with a Mayan temple next to it. What a shame that you were not able to get a photo of both of them together. I love the look of the church though. What a shame about the smell. I so love the turquoise water in the Caribbean.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #843
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Too funny about the not very private conversation! You were nice enough to call home and that's what you get.

I think that little church is adorable. Too bad it smelled so bad inside.

I think your excursion sounded like a lot of fun. Bummer about the pool being infested with bees. Yikes!

I honestly didn't know that about the ship's doctor. I guess they can't take insurance on a cruise.

Fun updates!
Yes, he thinks he is so funny when he does stuff like that.
I believe if you have trip insurance you can file a clain if you use the Dr and get that reimbursed in most cases, but they charge you before you even walk in the door pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post
My 4 year old granddaughter is looking forward to the Club. Less than 4 weeks to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan19712006 View Post
I am sleeping on their bamboo sheets right now. Super soft and cool. I got mine in Cozumel with a free shipping card and 10%off. Two years later I can say it was money well spent.
OOOH NICE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I would have loved to see the church with a Mayan temple next to it. What a shame that you were not able to get a photo of both of them together. I love the look of the church though. What a shame about the smell. I so love the turquoise water in the Caribbean.

Corinna
It was really hard to get because there were a lot of trees and it was up on this little hill. Plus if you went down the steps to try, you got this awning in the way.
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #844
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

We headed back to the room and took our showers and got ready for the evening. I also spent some time out on the balcony. I just LOVE the balcony. I donít know if I could go back to an inside room after having one 3 times now. They are just wonderful!

There had been a Carnival ship in port at Cozumel as well, but further down at a different pier. We left about the same time and we could see it almost the whole way back to Galveston.

I played around and took some different pictures.

I can never get enough of the blue water.

Soon it was time to head up to Palo.
We were the first to arrive. We decided we wanted to take a picture of each of us by the sign, but a server from Palo came out and took one of both of us together.

We stepped outside while we waited for the other girls, but it was REALLY windy up there so we headed back inside.

They told us we could have a seat at the bar and wait for the other girls. So we did just that.
We got a pose of one of the servers as I lifted my camera.

We felt obligated to order a drink while we waited. I just felt like it would be rude to sit there and not order anything. Soon the other girls (Brook, Carolyn, Shelly, and Susan) arrived and not long after that we were taken to our table.

I basically got a lot of not so good pictures.

And our drinks. I believe Lisa had a mudslide.

I had an amaretto sour.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #845
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I am so sorry, Jen, but I basically always post the same .....

I LOVE YOUR PICS!! They bring back so many happy memories (even though my memories are from the Wonder )

Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #846
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post

I LOVE YOUR PICS!! They bring back so many happy memories (even though my memories are from the Wonder )

you are so funny. But thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #847
chasshan
calgirl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSWonder View Post
I'm sorry, but I HATE the people who video record with their Ipads. And I have one. It basically turns their one head into two heads blocking your view. Plus, I can never understand why they want to use it for that purpose...the video picture quality is not that good. A Mommy at my son's kindergarten graduation did this. She was in the front row, so holding up the Ipad blocked the views of several people behind her (including me). The rest of the parents video taping were nice enough to get up and do it from the back of the room.

For one of the shows, we were on the outskirts of the stage. I had Allison sitting on a bin next to me, so she could see. A huge guy came and stood right in front of her. Not only was he completely blocking her view, but he was leaning back and squishing her feet, forcing her to move closer to me. We ended up having to move. Sometimes, peoples rudeness and thoughtlessness really astounds me.
Hi,

I've been enjoying reading your thread Jen. I think I've read all or most of your previous reports but usually just read and don't post. I think they call that "lurking"?

Anyway I'm just to this post on this thread(but up to date on your other one), but think I'll get caught up today as I'm sick in bed....ugh.

I totally agree, JKSWONDER, people with the ipads trying to record in front of others, especially kids....so rude!
But I thought I'd share a sweet story to remind us all that there are kind and considerate people out there too. We were in Disneyland in December 2012.
I was there with my 7 kids and 23 other family members. One night I ended up at World of Color with just my two 5 year olds, and despite getting the fast passes early in the day we ended up in a terrible viewing spot, the worst I've had in the 4 times I've viewed WOC. And to make it worse, we were at the back of this terrible spot so had no clear view, especially the kids. As the show started, I was doing my best to take turns holding up my kids, letting them rest some of their body weight on the handlebar of the stroller, but that was very awkward and quickly taking it's toll on my neck and back. And to make it worst, I discovered that my son had wet his pants. He was wearing jeans and they were already nearly dry, but did smell a bit. 5 minutes into the show a gentleman standing a few people/rows ahead of us, who I hadn't even noticed, made his way back to me and asked if I'd like him to hold my son so he could see. I could tell immediately that this was a good guy. He had to have been pushing 60 or 65 years old and had a sweet wife with him. I thanked him and said," that is so thoughtful, but he is rather heavy and must have wet his pants an hour or so ago...he's a little damp and smelly". This guy didn't hesitate to say...." Oh that won't bother me, I'm a dad and a grandpa.....and used to kids." Well for my son's sake, I did take him up on his generous offer. And to see the look on my son's face(he was seeing this for the first time and in fact was at DR for the first time as he is a foster son and I am adopting him), was priceless...and magical. I could see towards the end the gentleman was shifting his weight and probably getting tired....oh I forgot to mention he actually put him up on his shoulders, both legs around his neck, pee pants and all. I was trying hard to fight off the tears as this was our first vacation without my husband who had passed away in June. It just reminded me that if he was with us, he would have been holding our son on his shoulders. But the kindness of this stranger and the joy it brought my son kept the tears at bay. And, his kindness was catching because a second man asked me if I'd like him to hold my daughter....who weighs about 10lbs less than her brother. I graciously turned him down because she is pretty shy with strangers and most likely would have screamed if I'd tried to hand her over.
I will never forget that man's generosity and the joy he brought to us that night.
Shanna
Going back to catch up with this thread....love all the pics!
chasshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #848
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasshan View Post
Hi,

I've been enjoying reading your thread Jen. I think I've read all or most of your previous reports but usually just read and don't post. I think they call that "lurking"?

Anyway I'm just to this post on this thread(but up to date on your other one), but think I'll get caught up today as I'm sick in bed....ugh.

I totally agree, JKSWONDER, people with the ipads trying to record in front of others, especially kids....so rude!
But I thought I'd share a sweet story to remind us all that there are kind and considerate people out there too. We were in Disneyland in December 2012.
I was there with my 7 kids and 23 other family members. One night I ended up at World of Color with just my two 5 year olds, and despite getting the fast passes early in the day we ended up in a terrible viewing spot, the worst I've had in the 4 times I've viewed WOC. And to make it worse, we were at the back of this terrible spot so had no clear view, especially the kids. As the show started, I was doing my best to take turns holding up my kids, letting them rest some of their body weight on the handlebar of the stroller, but that was very awkward and quickly taking it's toll on my neck and back. And to make it worst, I discovered that my son had wet his pants. He was wearing jeans and they were already nearly dry, but did smell a bit. 5 minutes into the show a gentleman standing a few people/rows ahead of us, who I hadn't even noticed, made his way back to me and asked if I'd like him to hold my son so he could see. I could tell immediately that this was a good guy. He had to have been pushing 60 or 65 years old and had a sweet wife with him. I thanked him and said," that is so thoughtful, but he is rather heavy and must have wet his pants an hour or so ago...he's a little damp and smelly". This guy didn't hesitate to say...." Oh that won't bother me, I'm a dad and a grandpa.....and used to kids." Well for my son's sake, I did take him up on his generous offer. And to see the look on my son's face(he was seeing this for the first time and in fact was at DR for the first time as he is a foster son and I am adopting him), was priceless...and magical. I could see towards the end the gentleman was shifting his weight and probably getting tired....oh I forgot to mention he actually put him up on his shoulders, both legs around his neck, pee pants and all. I was trying hard to fight off the tears as this was our first vacation without my husband who had passed away in June. It just reminded me that if he was with us, he would have been holding our son on his shoulders. But the kindness of this stranger and the joy it brought my son kept the tears at bay. And, his kindness was catching because a second man asked me if I'd like him to hold my daughter....who weighs about 10lbs less than her brother. I graciously turned him down because she is pretty shy with strangers and most likely would have screamed if I'd tried to hand her over.
I will never forget that man's generosity and the joy he brought to us that night.
Shanna
Going back to catch up with this thread....love all the pics!
Welcome! And that is such a sweet story!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #849
vleeth
I heart Disney

I don't ever plan on having a balcony because I know I won't want to go back.
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #850
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
I don't ever plan on having a balcony because I know I won't want to go back.
I am going to admit it. I am now a veranda snob!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #851
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Awesome pics of that beach! I definitely wouldn't have wanted to swim there, though! Wow! It looked rough and rocky, but makes for some beautiful pics and I imagine heavenly just to be there. You really lucked out with that tour, it seemed like a really great one.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your meal at Palo.

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #852
chasshan
calgirl6

All caught up now, and really enjoying it.
Glad you liked our WOC story.

We've only cruised once; Mexican Riviera Dec. 2011.
We had the balcony and loved it! Because we are usually needing to put 4 or 5 people to a room, we will most likely always book balcony rooms.

Bees!!! I hope they never have that problem when I'm onboard. I can take spiders, bugs, and even snakes, but bees......for some reason they scare me.

Shanna
chasshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #853
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post

Karin, I feel the same way. I sound like a broken record but the pictures are always so good and I don't know how better to express it.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #854
esquirepd
Earning My Ears

Thank you for all of this information!! Very useful stuff. I really appreciate your time in this!! Can't wait for our may cruise!!!

11/24/01-11/28/01 - WDW - Polynesian Resort
5/10/13-5/18/13 - DCL Magic - Galveston
esquirepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #855
francis6306
DIS Veteran

I am FINALLLY caught up!! I'm so sorry I fell so far behind!! But I loved all the updates!! It's so much fun tagging along on this cruise and your adventures!! I want to go on a cruise soooo badlyÖ but I keep thinking that I might want to wait until the girls are a little older- but it would be SO MUCH FUN!!!!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
francis6306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: