Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Bearadise
My DW is a Bear-a-holic...

Question Are any other DIS Dads Hams?

CQ DIS Dads, CQ DIS Dads, CQ DIS Dads.
DE N1KXR
QTH FN32 (Western Massachusetts)
QSL?

When at WDW my DW and I take our HTs and make use of the DEARS repeaters, as well as using simplex frequencies as we make our way around the parks and resorts. I've not brought any HF gear (yet) as my DW says that would be taking it a bit far. Hey, a little QRP never hurt anyone!

Any other DIS Dads Hams? If yes, please share with us your call-sign and where you hail from. Also, do you bring any rigs with you when you come? Perhaps we'll work one another one of these trips.

-
Rich(Me) [DisDad #731] Cathy(DW) Samantha(DD) Matthew(DGS#1) Jackson(DGS#2) Brady(DGS#3) Chad(DS) Amber(DDIL) Zack(DGS#4) Zoey(DGD#1)
Disneyland: Multiple day-tripper 1979-1982 || WDW: Off-Property 1990 || WDW: Dixie Landings 1993 || All-Star Movies 2008, 2010 || Pop Century 2013 || Caribbean Beach-Jamaica 2013 ||
Art of Animation 2014.
Are you on Facebook? 'The Wheeler Clan at WDW' is! Please come visit our page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheele...33913320005732

Bearadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
wasnotafan
DIS Dad #481
Unfortunately my smartphone is smatter than I am
All that fresh air over the years has done me good

Posted on the other thread, but welcome! I've thought about it for years, but the morse code thing kept putting me off. Now that we are homeschooling I think it would be a good opportunity for the kids but the expense is another concern.
Sept/Oct 06 - POR Riverside Alligator Bayou
July 08 - POR Riverside Magnolia Bend
wasnotafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Bearadise
My DW is a Bear-a-holic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasnotafan View Post
Posted on the other thread, but welcome! I've thought about it for years, but the morse code thing kept putting me off. Now that we are homeschooling I think it would be a good opportunity for the kids but the expense is another concern.
I'm aware it is on another thread, but I was curious to see how many, if any DDs are Hams. As much as I now peruse these boards, at times even using the search feature topics can slip by if posted somewhere else.

The Morse code requirement was removed years ago, so no worries about that any longer. Study guides and practice tests can be found free on-line and many clubs, such as my own http://hcra.org offer Ham-classes for free. As for the test itself. That should only be about $15.00 or less and your license, once earned, is good for ten years!

With no age limit to earn a license, perhaps you on behalf of your family, might look into it once again.

-
Rich(Me) [DisDad #731] Cathy(DW) Samantha(DD) Matthew(DGS#1) Jackson(DGS#2) Brady(DGS#3) Chad(DS) Amber(DDIL) Zack(DGS#4) Zoey(DGD#1)
Disneyland: Multiple day-tripper 1979-1982 || WDW: Off-Property 1990 || WDW: Dixie Landings 1993 || All-Star Movies 2008, 2010 || Pop Century 2013 || Caribbean Beach-Jamaica 2013 ||
Art of Animation 2014.
Are you on Facebook? 'The Wheeler Clan at WDW' is! Please come visit our page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wheele...33913320005732

Bearadise is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: