Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
smrand
Earning My Ears

We booked our upcoming trip through AAA and were very happy with our travel agent. He knew a lot about the different resorts and rooms. He answered all of my questions and was quick to return emails and return phone calls. I will absolutely book with him again. I'm excited about our special AAA princess storytime. I did make all my own ADR though. I wanted to be in control of that. Sorry you had a bad experience. I know it depends on the agent you speak with.
smrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #17
MichelleWDWfan
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear about those of you that have had trouble booking thru AAA.

I have nothing but great things to say about my AAA travel agent.
She is a Disney expert & is the best travel agent I have ever had.

Before I found her, I tried booking Disney trips thru other AAA offices & some of them didn't know their head from a hole in the ground about disney

But I've been booking Disney thru her for the past 4 years. She always manages to find some extra discount or perk. My current trip for next month was booked last Aug, but she was able to discount my trip by another $50 last month and when I check in I'll get a $25 Disney gift card. That was a nice surprise she just told me about!
I guess it goes along with Jan being Disney month at AAA.

She will even make ADR's, but she taught me how and now I like to do them myself at my leisure, online.

Me DS 18

March 2009 - AS Movies, March 2010 = POP, August 2010 - POP, March 2011 - POP,
Dec 2011 - POP (MVMCP), July 2012 - POR, March 2013 - POP, Sept 2013 - POP (MNSSHP), March 2014 - AS Sports
MichelleWDWfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #18
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karly05 View Post
Someone please jump in and correct this if I'm wrong, but...

I do believe you can only book a AAA package through AAA.

I know you can book room only with a AAA discount on the room through other travel agents or with Disney directly. That's what I've been doing, then I buy park tix through Undercover Tourist via the MouseSavers newsletter (something I learned on the Dis!). I don't do the dining plan.

Our first two family trips, we went through AAA and were very lucky to have a really great agent who actually did know and love WDW. She left after we booked but before we took our 2004 trip, and the guy who replaced her did not impress me. When I talked to them again in more recent years the (different) guy I spoke with definitely didn't know as much as I did. They're just really hit and miss, depending on the individual.
You are correct, you can only book a AAA package thru them. But can book AAA room only rate directly with Disney or any TA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888 View Post
We've booked our last 2 Disney vacations through AAA and were very satisfied. However we chose someone who was a Disney expert. Not all AAA travel agents are. So when you arrive, ask for someone who is.
Sadly I did ask for a quote from a so called AAA Disney Expert who was written up in their BCAA magazine Westward. I had done my homework and priced out my vacay on Wdw web site first before calling Bcaa. (Canada AAA). Her quote was sig higher then WDW . When I pointed this out to her, she said, oh, I priced it out on Sun Fun Vacations, a secondary travel company they use. For a so called expert she knew nothing.

I have heard some AAA agents are good, but it is prob the ones that go with their families. And you are lucky if there's one near you.

Personally, I book myself or with a TA that's a Authorized Disney Vacation Planner.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 Poly
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
MommaNinja
Earning My Ears

I think AAA agents are a crap shoot when it comes to booking Disney. I spoke to an agent before booking our upcoming trip and she left a lot to be desired in the listening department. The couple hundred dollars we would save wasn't worth it to us. However, a friend has used AAA several times and has had wonderful luck.
MommaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #20
nickgid
Earning My Ears

Just starting out on this board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrand View Post
We booked our upcoming trip through AAA and were very happy with our travel agent. He knew a lot about the different resorts and rooms. He answered all of my questions and was quick to return emails and return phone calls. I will absolutely book with him again. I'm excited about our special AAA princess storytime. I did make all my own ADR though. I wanted to be in control of that. Sorry you had a bad experience. I know it depends on the agent you speak with.
Anyone know if we can use out of state AAA Disney experts and if so anyone have names they can offer?
Also, what is an ADR?
Thanks for your patience with a newbie.
nickgid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #21
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgid View Post
Also, what is an ADR?
Advanced Dining Reservation. Recommended for just about any of the table service restaurants.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:09 AM   #22
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you just had a bad agent. Before we purchased DVC, we always made our resort reservations through AAA -- the deals were always better than whatever special Disney was offering.
I might suggest you just try doing it online at AAA next time.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #23
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience.

We have used the same TA at AAA for years to book all our vacations. She know our preferences and is a Disney expert (Disney College I think?). She is also a Disney fanatic.

Really depends on who you get and sounded like you had gotten a dud
Old 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #24
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I used an AAA agent the first time I booked and thought it was great. The second time I booked, I realized I knew more than she did and she was not helping me at all-- I had to let her know of new discounts before she would apply them to our reservation. This year, I did much better using Magical Vacations. I don't think I will go back to AAA as their discounts are not that great.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #25
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We've had similar crap shoot experiences with AAA travel agents, but I finally found one in the know. Although she has thorough knowledge of AAA rates/packages, she isn't very knowledgeable about the parks in general.

We had one travel agent that failed to inform us that the pool of our resort would be closed for renovation. If you book through a TA, those notifications come through them and not directly to you.

I think with any vacation, Disney or otherwise, you have to educate yourself on the options so you can ask good questions of the travel agent.

Better luck next time!
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #26
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

With all my WDW trips and all my time on the Dis, I think AAA would be hard pressed to find someone more knowledgeable than me sitting in one of their cubicles.

I bet that's true for a lot of people here.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

If I book online (room only), can I call Disney and ask them to apply a AAA discount to my ressie if there's one available?

Oct 2013 The Fort***Aug 2013 POP/POR***Dec 2012 ASMo ***Aug 2012 ASMo/POR *** 2011 The Fort ***2010 Wilderness Lodge***2009 & 2007 The Fort ***2006- POFQ***1993- Poly Honeymoon
DH/myself the twins: DS14DD14
gillenkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #28
ItsNotMuchofaTail
but I'm sort of attached to it

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I use AAA but I use a Disney expert at my branch. He has booked 2 wonderful trips for me, and he is very knowledgable. I agree with PPs that not everyone is knowledgable though. The first trip I booked with AAA, the agent knew very little Disney specific information. But we still had fun

Previous trips:
Off Site: Visiting the grandparents in the 80s - June 2000 - Honeymoon (POFQ) - June 2007 - DD's 1st trip (ASM)June 2010 - We're getting divorced and going anyway (CBR)

November 2012 - Just DD and me (POR-Royal Room)
ItsNotMuchofaTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #29
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgid View Post
Anyone know if we can use out of state AAA Disney experts and if so anyone have names they can offer?
Also, what is an ADR?
Thanks for your patience with a newbie.
Why do you want to use an out of state AAA agent as opposed to going to a local office where you live? If you go to an AAA agent outside of your region, they don't have the ability to look up your membership since you are not in the same club. There are forms that can be filled out to have you transferred to their club but you wouldn't want to do that since you aren't moving. It would probably be easier to utilize an agent in your home club, for membership reasons alone.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #30
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I love my AAA membership, and have been a member since I was 18 (now 42). I have AAA make most of my hotel reservations except for Disney or Universal. That's because, like most everyone at this forum, I just know too much more about WDW (than most AAA agents) and want to have the control myself.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: