Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Momloveshockey
Mouseketeer

New to gluten free

Hi; We are off to Disney in a month. I am new to the gluten free diet. We have the QS dining plan. We are staying at POR. Anyone have experience with eating gluten free at WDW??? Any tips on what and where to eat???

Momloveshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
kaitmarie
I want adventure in the great wide somewhere...

Thumbs up

Disney is the BEST place to eat gluten free! Make sure you call ahead and state that you are gluten free and tell them when you get there.

When you order, at a counter service or at a sit down, the chef will come out and ask what you want. They will tell you have they can make you and what they can substitute.

You can get things on gluten free buns or with gluten free pasta. Anywhere that has sandwiches should have the buns and the same goes for the pasta. The restaurants in Italy and France have great gf pasta dishes. Some places (I've found them at Boatwright's and ABC) have gf chicken fingers. They even have gluten free brownies. Sometimes they will bring out gf rolls. They're the same as the buns they use, but they're good.

Boatwright's at POR is a great place for gf. They'll make sandwiches gf. You can usually get chicken fingers. They'll have a ton of options for you. The chef will talk to you and then he will personally make your meal. For dessert options you can get a Mickey ice cream or a brownie. They should have even more dessert options than that, but they will almost always have those two things. Two summers ago we stayed at POR and they had either gf pancakes or waffles. I cannot remember which one it was but they were really good.

Boma will even make you gf Zebra Domes if they know ahead of time you are gluten free.

Every chef is taught about gluten free and food allergies. They really do there best to limit the risk of cross contamination.

You won't even miss gluten there. I always feel overwhelmed at WDW haha. I am not used to walking into a restaurant and having a ton of options but at WDW they try to be accommodating and have a lot to choose from. Anywhere you chose will have gf options and quite a few of them.

kaitmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
kaitmarie

I also want to add that there is a gluten free bakery at Downtown Disney. It's called Babycakes and it's in the Pollo Campero building. Their desserts are kind of hit or miss. Some are great, some are meh. The ones with dairy (ie the ones that are not casein/dairy free) are usually better. It's worth trying some if you're in the area. Where else can you get gf cupcake and donuts and such.

Also if you go to any buffet a chef will walk you through the line and tell you what you can and can't eat.

I hope this helps!

Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Dis703
DIS Veteran

If you email Special.Diets@Disneyworld.com they can send you a list of gluten free products they use at all of their restaurants. Like pp said you can get gluten free pasta and buns/bread just about anywhere. I have heard that with counter service some things do take a lot longer. Particularly their fries. But there are lots of options it seems.

This upcoming trip is my first time wheat free, but second time being at Disney with allergies. The chefs were awesome last time, but we did a lot of table service too.

I'm just hopeful I can get a Mickey Waffle Sundae somewhere as it's my all time favorite sweet treat at Disney.

Dis703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
kaitmarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
I'm just hopeful I can get a Mickey Waffle Sundae somewhere as it's my all time favorite sweet treat at Disney.
I don't know if you'll be able to find the waffle sundae but if a place has gf brownies ask them to heat it up and make it a sundae. They're delicious!!!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

If you have an iPhone search the apps for Gluten Free Walt Disney World... I believe it is .99 but well worth it...
Old 02-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Momloveshockey
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. I think I will spring the .99 for the app.
I am for sure trying a brownie...Yum

Momloveshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

You should post this on the disAbilities page, too. You will get tons of helpful info over there
Old 02-03-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
glencoe
Mouseketeer

The app is really worth it very helpful through the park

GF waffles can be found at O'hana for breakfast but have not seen them in a sundae version

baby cakes is good, get there early, they sell out of alot of stuff...you can call and order things ahead like a cake for a special occasion.

My son is the happiest at Disney, he eats like a king!

disABILITIES thread is great and really helpful, check there too!!

Have fun!! (oh my son loved the creme brulee...most of the TS places make it)

1990 GF Honeymoon,
1998,2000,2002 offsite
Feb 2005 Poly-,
July 2006 Poly-family trip
Back to Poly! (Aug. 2011)
DVC Membership......... BLT

Celiac(17)(13)(10) (Pepper)(Mater)
glencoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
hallienicole
Mouseketeer

I could definitely go for GF chicken tender right now. They are delicious and worth the extra few minutes to wait for them. Plus the service we get from the people at the register and the chefs is exceptional. Also, this isn't really a GF tip. But what we do, is instead of carrying around the list GF options, we take a picture with our camera then use the zoom to look at it. Saves us a little room in our backpacks.
Disneyland:Oct '01 (Good Neighbor Hotel), June '07 (Tropicana Inn & Suites), June '08 (Tropicana Inn & Suites), Oct. '08 (Camelot Inn and Suites), June '10 (Disneyland Hotel), Jan '12 (Best Western Park Place Inn), April '13 (Carousel Inn & Suites)
WDW: June '09 (Sheraton Vistana Villages Villas), Jan '11 (Caribbean Beach Resort), Aug '12 (Beach Club), Jan '14 (Wilderness Lodge)
hallienicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Having just stayed at POR in the fall, I can say their food court is FANTASTIC for gluten free. Gluten free whatever you want, waffles, bagels, pizza, pasta, brownies, cookies, etc. You will have no problem eating at your resort at all. The chef there is fantastic. Just go up to the counter, ask to speak to a chef regarding gluten allergies and once he comes out, man he is quick. My daughter never missed out on anything there.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Definitely head over to the disABILITIES! board to take a look around. There are some recent GF dining reviews. I've got some of mine linked in my signature but be aware that we're off of a heck of a lot more than just gluten so when you're looking through it, be aware that you'll have many many many more options than we did, and we had plenty. I've got pictures in most of the reviews so don't look if you're already hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitmarie View Post
I also want to add that there is a gluten free bakery at Downtown Disney. It's called Babycakes and it's in the Pollo Campero building. Their desserts are kind of hit or miss. Some are great, some are meh. The ones with dairy (ie the ones that are not casein/dairy free) are usually better. It's worth trying some if you're in the area. Where else can you get gf cupcake and donuts and such.
The DTD Babycakes location is 100% vegan which means nothing will have any dairy. Their NYC and LA locations do have items with dairy but not at WDW.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

My husband has a gluten allergy and he's always loved going to Disney but ever since he's had to start this diet, Disney is the only vacation he ever wants to take. Everyone everywhere you go bends over backwards for you. He told all our food places that he had an allergy and they were so kind and accomadating. You will NOT have a problem! Just remember to tell your server or if its counter service, you'll have to ask for the manager. Have fun!!

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
petsaregreat
Mouseketeer

Can you recommend any of the Italy or France restaurants by name? First trip is soon and I am gluten free. Looks like I am going to be eating a lot of pizza when I am there and would LOVE an italian pasta!
petsaregreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsaregreat View Post
Can you recommend any of the Italy or France restaurants by name? First trip is soon and I am gluten free. Looks like I am going to be eating a lot of pizza when I am there and would LOVE an italian pasta!
I think that one of our worst allergy experiences was at Chefs de France. Personally, I no longer eat at the restaurants that aren't owned by Disney. I've got an ADR at Tony's for our upcoming trip but I don't have actual experience there yet.

We've gotten good pasta dishes in the food courts at AoA, Pop and POR. One of my kids even got a tasty pasta dish done up at Captain Cooks at Poly (it was an asian style dish, not italian, but definitely delicious). Resort food courts have a lot of ability to do some tasty dishes.

If you're only gluten free and can eat anything else then I think that any of the TS restaurants at WDW can accomodate you. We've got laundry lists of allergies and intollerances to deal with making things a lot more complicated for us.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: