Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #2251
MadMim
Mouseketeer

Hello! Im just dropping in to say, "hi." Im 2 months post-thyroidectomy (cancer), and thrilled to find so many others. Thrilled is probably not the best word, but Im still really happy to find this group. Looking forward to learning & growing with you.
MadMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #2252
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmarypoppins View Post
Well this deserves its own post so gather round ladies because you all welcome to a piece of because we are having a party today!!

Today is my 4 year cancerversary!! God is so good. Cant believe 4 years ago I almost was not blessed to be here anymore and wonderful dh holding my hand in the coma (too bad he is in california and seattle all this week). I am blessed beyond measure for sure!

And yest I went to the endo. Ds21 took me. Good nursing school experience for him. Endo said my numbers are great. Hmm, she gave me the blood report and they only listed one test and the others are pending. its less than .2 measurable so a 0. She still wants me to get the reclast infusion and the sono, She gave me the name of another internist to check out. I go again in august since she always go to greece in july. Even ds told me what a nice dr. she was!

Thanks for always listening to me and being encouraging.

Mickayla - tomm you go to the new repro endo? Wishing you all the best.
Congratulations! Missed this earlier. Sometimes I get updates from this thread and sometimes I don't. ..

Anyway, we did see a new Dr. and we like him a lot!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #2253
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMim View Post
Hello! Im just dropping in to say, "hi." Im 2 months post-thyroidectomy (cancer), and thrilled to find so many others. Thrilled is probably not the best word, but Im still really happy to find this group. Looking forward to learning & growing with you.
Welcome!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #2254
luvmarypoppins
I am debating whether to put a new one back on his
O.K. who is the sista here right now?
((Hug))

MadMim - welcome. Guess you can share with us when/if you feel ready. Of course I always like to hear everyones stories. Always looking for people with the rare variants like me.

Did you have rai? etc. etc. , tumor size,type etc.

Its hard getting adjusted to the new you at first with the synthroid, post op surgery etc.

Micayla - glad you like the new repro endo. Its so important when you have to work with someone and be on the same page etc.

Christine - yeah for your ds being accepted to the 2 colleges! Just did that last year with ds and nursing school. I am trying to do more reading this year too!
luvmarypoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #2255
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:

Christine - yeah for your ds being accepted to the 2 colleges! Just did that last year with ds and nursing school. I am trying to do more reading this year too!
Thanks! I saw you joined the 2013 Book Challenge. I'm signed up for 24 books this year. I feel like that's such a small amount but I should be able to do two a month. I used to read so much more, not sure what happened to me?

Do you have a Kindle or Nook? I saw that you only read books that you win. Right now I have had four Kindle books that I had on hold at the libary come in. It's great getting them all without paying for them! Not sure how I will read them all during the 21 day lending period. Maybe I should stay off the DIS!!!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #2256
MadMim
Mouseketeer

Hello again. There was nothing rare or spectacular about my cancer. Im actually struggling with a lot of guilt because the whole process was so easy for me. I had a tiny nodule that calcified, biopsy showed papillary cancer, I had the thyroidectomy within a month. There was a second, undetected patch on the other lobe, and I did turn out to have minor thyroiditis & goiter - I had shown symptoms but labs never confirmed. According to my surgeon, my labs all came back "normal" under my first dose of Synthroid, but to supress it he upped my dose twice a week. I think I had some minor hypo symptoms for a bit, but nothing to write home about. I feel good. In some ways I wish it were more interesting, but mostly Im happy that it isnt. I will not have to go through RAI, and for that Im very grateful. The docs told me to seek out joy, so I bought a season pass to Disneyland.

Last edited by MadMim; 02-03-2013 at 02:24 PM.
MadMim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #2257
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

Well I am finally going to be getting my reclast infusion on the 22nd. I picked friday because if I get the high fever again, at least dh wont have to take off from work to take care of me. I hope I dont get those symptoms and the delusions again and the bone pain. The dr. said I shouldnt, so she better be right.

Christine - I wish I had a kindle. I asked for one the other christmas. I guess I should go and get myself one, but I do enjoy reading real books, I guess I am still old school. I am getting amish fictioned out of it. I know C. Ann doesnt post much anymore, but she would appreciate the books I am reading! And I just won 2 more books so they are gong into the to be read pile.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #2258
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

GAH. Why are doctor's offices SO...just...GAHHH!

So my two week time-frame for results on the Afirma test were up. Having heard nothing, I called yesterday to see if they were in. Receptionist says they're in but doctor hasn't looked at them yet. Someone will call me back. About four hours later, I get a call and it's the PA (I'm thinking, "YES! It must be good news or the doctor would be the one calling). Here's how it goes:

PA: "Wanted to tell you the good news: it's benign!"

ME: "Really? For both?"

PA: "Ummmm...hold on, I'm not familiar with this new test. Okay, this says one on the right."

Me: "I had two on the right, a larger and a smaller one"

PA: "This says 1.7 cm"

Me: "Okay, well that wasn't the one they were concerned about. They sent that one in too just to be safe, but the one that was suspicious was the 1.3 cm one."

PA: "Ummmm. Hmmmmm. Ummmmm. I don't know, I don't see... I'll have to have the doctor look at this. She's in surgery right now. But I don't see anything for a second 1.3 cm, maybe they haven't sent it yet. Someone will call you back."

Urghhhh. Well, good thing I asked! Sheesh!

Get a call today, see it's from them and my heart is in my chest. It's just the admin confirming my follow-up appointment for tomorrow. Another phone call an hour later, again, heart in chest. It's the admin again, wanting to know if they can move me to 10 am b/c they had a cancellation. I say, "That's fine, but last I heard they weren't even sure they had my test results in yet. Should I keep this or reschedule?" She goes to consult with the nurses, comes back and says, "No, she says you should definitely keep your appointment."

Okay. Not like a statement like that doesn't set off bells.

I know it's stupid to read things in b/c you'll just drive yourself crazy. And despite my initial panic early in this process, I have been amazingly calm about this lately. Very zen, comparatively.

But are they trying to test me?!?! I'm just human for pete's sake! I know they don't mean to be this way, but c'MON people, how about NOT making it harder?

End of rant
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #2259
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Rant all you want! You are entitled to. Geesh! I hope the appointment is stress free and all good news. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #2260
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

branv - I am sure this is so stressful to you and you have enough on your plate right now.

I know they want to be very careful with tests and results.

I actually had about 7 diagnosis before they finally got it right and figured out what kind of cancer I had. I think I went around with pap,pap, medullary, mem syndrome, lymphoma, pap and then pap with the rare columnar cell variant. Something like that I cant remember it all exactly. It was really stressful too.

Would it help if you brought someone with you tomm for moral support?

Wishing you all the best and keep us updated when you can. Hang in there sweetie
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #2261
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Thanks everyone! It's much appreciated My goodness luvmarypoppins, however did you not want to strangle someone? I'm sorry you went through that, but at least glad they could finally reach a conclusion so they knew how best to approach a cure for you.

On my end, the drama continues. It's actually so silly I'm tempted to laugh.

I got to the appointment today and they still had not received the info on the suspicious nodule. So they called the Veracyte lab. That lab could see that two nodules were a concern, but they'd only received the sample for the nonsuspicious one. So my doctor called the hospital pathology lab that was supposed to send it. All they know right now is that it was not sent. The hospital can see it was prepped by pathology for the Veracyte test, but right now they're having to investigate where the heck that sample IS.

If they find it, they'll send it, and I have to wait another two weeks.

If they can't find it, I have to have another FNA.

My spirits have been surprisingly high. Which sounds weird, given the circumstances. But I was really nervous this morning, bracing for bad news. So oddly, hearing that they didn't have bad news...just NO news, was kind of a "okay, well I can chill for a while"

Sheesh.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #2262
lupitail
Earning My Ears

Wow I never thought I would be taking thyroid on the DIS boards but so glad I found all of you!!

Diagnosed in April 2011 with Papillary. Had an orange sized tumor removed along with 94 lymph nodes. RAI in July of 2011 and another surgery in Oct of 2012 to remove Grape sized malignant lymph node sitting on my vocal chords. Had another ultra sound in Jan and it came back clean!!! Phew
lupitail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #2263
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupitail View Post
Wow I never thought I would be taking thyroid on the DIS boards but so glad I found all of you!!

Diagnosed in April 2011 with Papillary. Had an orange sized tumor removed along with 94 lymph nodes. RAI in July of 2011 and another surgery in Oct of 2012 to remove Grape sized malignant lymph node sitting on my vocal chords. Had another ultra sound in Jan and it came back clean!!! Phew
Wow, orange-sized? I have run into a few people that had large tumors with their thyroid cancer (predominantly men). Were you conscious of that tumor in your neck? The ones I've talked to had no idea but I wonder how you can't feel that, unless it's not really growing in the size of a ball but is more elongated.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #2264
luvmarypoppins
((Hug))

branv - I too hope your appt. went well. You need and deserve answers. Totally stinks that you have to advocate for yourself so much with all you have on your plate. Wishing you all the best

Micayla - thinking of you too with the journey. I am sure you have lots on your plate too with all that involves. As I said before, I know what my cousin went through.

lupitail - welcome. Wow, those were some tumors. I had 2 too. My one was the biggest the dr. ever had I think he said. How big were each of them since you just describe it in terms of fruit, sorry I always think metrically and medically.

How much rai did you have. Just curious. I am the one always asking lots of questions here. Do you just have regular pap? Also just wondering what your daily snythroid dose is? Do you take the name brand or generic?

Wow that is a lot of lymph nodes for sure. I think I had almost 50 out. What was your malignant count? Mine was not too bad considering they said.

So what quadrants did they take the lymph nodes out of. I only had to have one quadrant done and that was by my littlest tumor but that little tumor almost killed me and now I cant really use my L arm good as he had to cut the nerve to get the tumor out etc.

Wising you all the best. I love to hear everyones survivor stories and details because I think it encourages and blesses us all here.

Share when you can and wishing you all the best.

I am chatty today, hmm guess that is because of Nemo and we are buried here with over 2 feet of snow.

Did I share before about how a little girl I taught at our churchs bible school had a brain tumor? Well sadly they just got the results back and its cancerous. She is only 13. Its near her pituitary gland and optic nerve. Now they say her parents are having to make some difficult decisions. Worse, I sure hope that girl does not have my radiation oncologist because she has no way with kids. I saw how she acted with 2 when I was there. Just so business and barely any compassion. Worse, the whole head of the rad. onc. dept. is no prize either. Just so business like etc. I am not liking the c word for sure today. My heart is breaking for this family.

Christine - good excuse for me to read later. I am reading The Lesson by Suzanne Woods Fisher.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #2265
Christine

Quote:
Did I share before about how a little girl I taught at our churchs bible school had a brain tumor? Well sadly they just got the results back and its cancerous. She is only 13. Its near her pituitary gland and optic nerve. Now they say her parents are having to make some difficult decisions. Worse, I sure hope that girl does not have my radiation oncologist because she has no way with kids. I saw how she acted with 2 when I was there. Just so business and barely any compassion. Worse, the whole head of the rad. onc. dept. is no prize either. Just so business like etc. I am not liking the c word for sure today. My heart is breaking for this family.
So sad... For some reason, when teens get cancer it hits me the hardest. I don't know why. I think for a lot of people, the little kids seem the worst to them but, for me, the teens just upset me so bad.

Last year, one of my son's classmates passed away from leukemia shortly before her 16th birthday. It was heartbreaking. She had gone to the same school as my son did since elementary school and the illness was so quick and sudden and brutal, it still tortures me to this day.

I think the "teen" thing bothers me so much because, at that age, they really do have their whole loves in front of them and they are just coming into the realization of what's out there for them and all that they can be. They start falling in love/having crushes, getting their first taste of independence, and experiencing all sorts of "semi-adult" joys and to just have that ripped away from them is sad. And because they are older and wiser, they know exactly what is happening to them. At least with a small child you can shield them from some of the fear. You just can't do that with a teenager.

So, yeah, your story makes me sad. I feel so bad for the girl and her parents. It is something I would never want to go through.

Hang in there with all that snow. We got a portion of the blizzard here in the DC area but the effects of it were high winds (all.night.long) and rain.

Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: