Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
ella6599
Mouseketeer

Help us decide on a deluxe!

For a trip this August. Me, DH, DD 11 and DD 9. This will be our 6th trip as a family. We've stayed at POFQ, Pop, POFQ again, Dolphin/ Universal's Royal Pacific split stay, and an offsite hotel.

This year...we know it will be hot...we plan to spend a little more time at the resort, do a day at a waterpark (not sure which one), and park hop to see our favorite things, with the bulk of the time spent at MK and Epcot.

We've ruled out the GF (just a bit too rich for our blood), Contemporary (don't like the theme) and AKL (we went there for dinner last time and spent a little time exploring the resort...loved it, but have never been to any of the others at all, and want to try one).

So...between Yacht/Beach, Poly and Wilderness...which should we choose?

Poly has definite appeal due to location...would we feel like we'd stayed there before, since we've stayed at the Royal Pacific in the last few years?. Loved taking the boat to Epcot when we stayed at the Dolphin, and the SAB is a draw. DH prefers the theming at the other two. The Wilderness is a little less, and looks like a beautiful resort...is it too out of the way? How's the pool there?

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

The Poly is our favorite. We like the overall atmosphere and the transportation options. Monorail to MK, boat from the Poly to MK, and you can walk to the TTC.
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella6599 View Post
This year...we know it will be hot...we plan to spend a little more time at the resort, do a day at a waterpark (not sure which one), and park hop to see our favorite things, with the bulk of the time spent at MK and Epcot.
So...between Yacht/Beach, Poly and Wilderness...which should we choose?
I've got kids about the same age as yours (12, 9, 8 during our trip). We picked the BC CL for our next trip in August we have hoppers, and will consider WPM after we are already there. SAB is such an awesome pool that they may not need the water parks. We think the convenience of being able to walk to two parks is a major draw. My kids' favorite rides were at DHS and at Epcot. We can head over to WS in the evenings to watch Illuminations or grab snacks even after we spend the day at AK or another park. Being able to walk over to mini-golf or to see the sights on the Boardwalk is just icing on the cake.

The Poly was our second choice. It looks like a nice, relaxing resort with a great CL. It's very convenient to the MK if you think you'll spend most of your time there.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

They are all great choices, with the Poly being our favorite. The BC is great as it's within walking distance to Epcot and SAB is nice, but the Poly has larger rooms with all rooms having a daybed, the beach is great for watching the fireworks, the volcano pool is great with a view of the castle in the distance, it's only a 5-10 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, and it's just 2 monorail stops from MK. The WL is not out of the way as it's a quick boat ride to MK as well as to the CR where you can shop, dine, or visit and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. With that said, you can't go wrong with any of them as they are all great places to stay. Good luck deciding and have a great trip.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

I've never stayed deluxe, but I'd love to stay at the Beach Club because of its location.

Last edited by bigbabyblues; 02-02-2013 at 06:56 PM.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
pl4bby
Mouseketeer

My fav order from best to least
Yc
BWI
BC
Poly
Contemporary
pl4bby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
I've got kids about the same age as yours (12, 9, 8 during our trip). We picked the BC CL for our next trip in August we have hoppers, and will consider WPM after we are already there. SAB is such an awesome pool that they may not need the water parks. We think the convenience of being able to walk to two parks is a major draw. My kids' favorite rides were at DHS and at Epcot. We can head over to WS in the evenings to watch Illuminations or grab snacks even after we spend the day at AK or another park. Being able to walk over to mini-golf or to see the sights on the Boardwalk is just icing on the cake.

The Poly was our second choice. It looks like a nice, relaxing resort with a great CL. It's very convenient to the MK if you think you'll spend most of your time there.
Hi AliceIn! What is WPM?
Thanks,
Angeejoe

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Angeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #8
pigletto
DIS Veteran

I vote for Beach/Yacht Club or Boardwalk Inn.
Why? Well because of Stormalong Bay for one. We're staying at the Beach Club in August for the first time and we can't wait to spend some time there!

Another reason is because like you said, it's so hot and you'll have easy boating or walking access to two parks with one of those resorts. We've stayed at the Poly and while we really enjoyed it, we far prefer the location of the Epcot resorts for convenience and atmosphere
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Angeejoe
DIS Veteran

I vote for the EPCOT area! I love everything the area has to offer! I love having boat/walking access to 2 parks. EPCOTS our favorite, and I love being able to pop over there for dining or entertainment. I vote for BC/YC, we love it! SAB is awesome!!

11/2001- Honeymoon- CBR, 3/2011- BC, 2/2012- POP (Arrival Night)/YC, 5/2013- POP w/ Aunt, 10/2013-AMSU (Arrival Night)/BC/AKL (Bonus Departure Night!!), 12/2013- WL w/ Sister & Nephew
Angeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

Another vote for the BC/YC. We are staying there in August also. I think it all depends on the time of year. If you factor in the time of year my opinion is the BC has the best pool. U can walk to 2 parks. If you were going at a different time of year I would suggest the poly being closer to MK and the monorail. But in August you are going to want a great pool to cool off in

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
SoccerDogWithEars
DIS Veteran

I may be the only one, but my vote is for Wilderness Lodge!

We stayed there when I was 6 and again when I was 10, and we've loved it every time. Yes, the theming is a bit more muted than at the Poly, but I love the old rustic feel. There's a huge fireplace with rocking chairs in front of it where you can chill out, and there's a small fountain that starts in the lobby and flows out and to the pool. They have a water slide, and I know as a young kid I spent plenty of time splashing around.

In addition to the pool, you can rent watercraft (my Dad and I will spend hours in the watermice), there's tetherball (which is surprisingly fun for someone who's never played), and there's even a hidden Mickey scavenger hunt that's just for the hotel. There are also several nice walking trails that go around the resort and over to Fort Wilderness. And if you're looking for somewhere fun to eat, be sure to check out Whispering Canyon Cafe!

As far as transportation, yes the boats are slower than the monorail, but on a hot summer day there's no better feeling than the breeze off the lake as you cruise along.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeejoe View Post
Hi AliceIn! What is WPM?
Thanks,
Angeejoe
Water Parks and More.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
wdwlver
DIS Veteran

BC for us, although we do love the Poly, we choose BC every time......

Disney Trips
2014 - GFV & YC - 2013 - BC & BCV - 2012 - GF, BCV - 2011 - BCV, YC - 2010 - POLY & BCV - 2009 - BWV & BCV - 2008 - BWI & BWV, 2007 - BWV, 2006 - BWV & BCV,2005 - SSR & YC, 2004 - WL,2003 - Swan,2002 - WL,2001 - AKL,2000 - GF,1999 - WL & YC,1997 - WL,1994 - GF,1993 - GF & BC,1992 - GF,1991 - CR & BC, - & many trips to DLR
wdwlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
Robbi
DIS Veteran

The Beach Club or BWI would be our choice. With 2 girls, don't rule out the GF because I've seen the Poly with higher rates. The GF is elegant but very down to earth if that makes sense. The CMs are so nice. The rooms are light and bright but with the curtains closed, you can sleep in too. My daughter and her friends said they felt like princesses at the GF.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #15
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

The Polynsian is amazing!
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread