Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
DanInMN
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 199

First time with DP will be the last

We tried the DP for the first time last week. I thought I'd relax a bit more if I didn't have to worry about what my family was spending on food. The plan works as advertised, but it did not work for us. My DW refused to even try to understand the plan, or maximize it's use. She kept buying things OOP. She would get angry at me when I tried to encourage her to use the plan. At the end of our trip I discovered she had been paying for most snacks and such, and we had tons of unused credits. We essentially paid double for a lot of stuff.
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,635
DISboards Moderator

I agree. I'm a hefty guy and some days I eat much more than what the plan would allow, other days, I'd really like just appetizers, which are not allowed on the plan. There are days I would spend more than than plan costs, and days I would spend less...but never over the course of a trip was my total spending for food equal to or more than what the DDP would have cost me.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
6disneykids
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 347

You have to be in agreement as a couple (or as a family) before you get the DDP, otherwise you have the scenario you described. That is why I know OOP doesn't work for my family, DH would be reluctant to let me loose at WDW--I have a Mickey bar and confectionary addiction
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
POOHsie
DIS Veteran
 
POOHsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 3,906

It's funny how different people react to DDP. Such as OP's DW. One year my DD's fiancee came along with us to WDW, and I was sure he wasn't going to like our QSDP. How wrong I was. He like the idea of having food pre-paid, then just choosing anything and taking out a plastic pre-paid card. Shazaam!
POOHsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Srbright
Mouseketeer
 
Srbright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN View Post
My DW refused to even try to understand the plan, or maximize it's use. She kept buying things OOP. She would get angry at me when I tried to encourage her to use the plan. At the end of our trip I discovered she had been paying for most snacks and such, and we had tons of unused credits. We essentially paid double for a lot of stuff.
OMG. I totally would have laid the smack down on that (figuratively of course, not literally).

Would you have let her book two sets of plane tickets without some type of agreement?

Stacy
__________________
August 2014 - CSR (9N/10D) (Was POR (8N/9D), ASMo 6N/7D, how many times can I change it?)
September 2013 - POR (9N/10D)
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
DanInMN
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
OMG. I totally would have laid the smack down on that (figuratively of course, not literally).

Would you have let her book two sets of plane tickets without some type of agreement?

Stacy
I explained the plan before we left, and she seemed to understand. She even suggested that we bring granola bars for breakfasts, since the DP only covers lunch, a snack, and dinner each day. But when we got down there it was hopeless. We were on vacation and she wasn't going to let plan rules get in the way.

Ever hear the saying "If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? The corollary is "If Momma is happy, the person paying might not be too happy with the bill"!
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,635
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN View Post
We were on vacation and she wasn't going to let plan rules get in the way.
I'm with her! Sometimes I want an appetizer and no dessert. And while I usually have breakfast in the room, I like one or two breakfasts at Olivia's during the course of an 8 day trip. I want to enjoy the food that I want, not what Disney wants to feed me. The plan is not flexible.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Martyap
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 191

I need advice, please.
First trip is next July for 6 days.
Ten people........6 adults, 3 kids, one 10 year old who I put down as an adult.

Right now I booked with the DDP and have already made our ADR's. Since I'm paying for the plan for all 10, I made it clear to the group what is included and what is not included. I figured overall it would be easier in the long run. I agree that the plan is not flexible........I also agree that the cost savings, if any, will not be astronomical........but won't the convenience be worth it?

Appreciate any suggestions?
Martyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #9
Disfamguy
Mouseketeer
 
Disfamguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 210

When we did it the first time there was some confusion on exactly how the plan worked on our kids part. (Our fault for not making it clear enough). So they would spend some of their extra money on snacks when they were off on their own. But the second time we went we had a more detailed conversation with them and they got it. They originally thought that everything had to be bought together.

We ended up fine because we gave them each extra money just for extra snacks if they wanted them.

I can see how some could get confused or overwhelmed if it is a first time.
__________________
Disfamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
merbobear
DIS Veteran
 
merbobear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 926

I love the DDP. I figure we are paying for food, one way or another, might as well prepay it. I tracked our savings on our last trip and we saved over $300 for the 3 of us (2 adults 1 4 year old) over the course of 9 days.
__________________
| August 1997 - Offsite | May 9-17, 2011 - POP Century | May 7-15, 2012 - Old Key West | May 10-19, 2012 - POP Century | May 9-18, 2014 - POP Century |

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyap View Post
I need advice, please.
First trip is next July for 6 days.
Ten people........6 adults, 3 kids, one 10 year old who I put down as an adult.

Right now I booked with the DDP and have already made our ADR's. Since I'm paying for the plan for all 10, I made it clear to the group what is included and what is not included. I figured overall it would be easier in the long run. I agree that the plan is not flexible........I also agree that the cost savings, if any, will not be astronomical........but won't the convenience be worth it?

Appreciate any suggestions?
it will certainly help you financially if most/all your ADR's are for pricey character buffets.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Martyap
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
it will certainly help you financially if most/all your ADR's are for pricey character buffets.
Thanks......I made ADR's at Akershus, 'Ohana, BOG, Tusker House (breakfast),
Mama Melrose/Fantasmic and Hoop Dee Doo Dinner/Show......Does the DDP make sense for those? We have 6 TS credits each so will have to either swap one for a CS or pay OOP for one........can I pay OOP for either BOG or MM?
Martyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyap View Post
Thanks......I made ADR's at Akershus, 'Ohana, BOG, Tusker House (breakfast),
Mama Melrose/Fantasmic and Hoop Dee Doo Dinner/Show......Does the DDP make sense for those? We have 6 TS credits each so will have to either swap one for a CS or pay OOP for one........can I pay OOP for either BOG or MM?
Hoop Dee Doo is 2 credits right?

I'm thinking you should pay out of pocket for BOG. You could probably save on dessert there and/or you might just want to order appetizers instead.

Also I'm thinking you could eat a quick service lunch at BOG instead of dinner and save a ton of money.

You should also consider the time of day you arrive. We never do table service on our arrival day, just quick service. You may not need to pay oop for anything, Especiially if you arrive later in the day, and leave early on your departure day.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
Martyap
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 191

Thanks for the great ideas.
We are staying 6 days so with the HDD at 2TS and the extra 1TS TH breakfast we will be one TS over.......that is with using a CS the first night for dinner. Not sure if we can go OOP with Mama Melrose and still get the Fantasmic tickets......otherwise we can try to go to BOG one day for lunch and cancel the BOG dinner as you suggested.
Martyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyap View Post
Thanks for the great ideas.
We are staying 6 days so with the HDD at 2TS and the extra 1TS TH breakfast we will be one TS over.......that is with using a CS the first night for dinner. Not sure if we can go OOP with Mama Melrose and still get the Fantasmic tickets......otherwise we can try to go to BOG one day for lunch and cancel the BOG dinner as you suggested.
You can certainly do MM with Fantasmic oop but I think it would be cheaper to do BOG for dinner oop. Looking at the prices it seems that MM would run you roughly $35-38 per adult and almost $13 per child. That gets you an entree and dessert.

The steak at $30 is the most expensive entree at BOG, and the dessert is $4, so an adult meal would cost at the most for the dining plan $34 and that is assuming that every adult orders the steak. There are several entrees that are much cheaper. I'm not sure about the cost of the kids meals for dinner at BOG though.

I still think it would be better value going to BOG for lunch. You can get a steak sandwich for $12 or $13.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.