DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #37
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

We bought 200 OKW points via resale in 2006 after doing 2 WDW trips...one staying off-site (which I hate to drive into WDW for the parks each day) and the other staying at POR. We lived in NC in 2006 and figured we'd go to WDW very frequently and drive...we have 3 kids. In 2007, we moved to MD and cut our WDW trips to every other year (but still would drive) and added on 75 HH points also via resale so that we could throw in some beach trips (every 3 years) that would save us the costs of park tickets and Disney's outrageous dining costs (even with TIW card it costs a lot to eat at WDW) plus it's a shorter drive. We paid cash for both contracts. We are now in the process of adding on 100 AKV points via resale (my MIL and FIL paid us for use of half of our OKW points and so we needed some more points...SIL owns at AKV and we like to do WDW trips with them so...AKV it is). We are happy with our DVC membership. We do get Disney'ed out and need a break...which is good since we live so far. We did fly the last 2 trips and that really adds to our cost (family of 5) and DH is insisting we drive next time. We just got back from a 5 night stay at BCV and we spent $1500 just on food/drinks (even with TIW card...we did 7 TS meals and 3 CS meals and lots of snacks, pastries and drinks...also includes tips)...we bought the discounted PAPs which cost us over $2000 and our airfare was about $1400 (had paid $950 but switched to a later flight at the last minute for $450 more). We are planning to do a second 5 night trip with our PAPs and will drive...so only cost will be food/drinks and the drive to/from.
So, for 10 nights the total cost will end up costing us about $7000 (yikes, now that I look at it) and that is not counting annual dues or any costs to buy our DVC points. We will go to HH next year and it will be a while before we do WDW again and I'm not sure if my kids will go anymore (they were complaining this past trip...they are all teenagers). MIL and FIL will go every other year and stay in a 1BR at OKW for 6 nights. Last year we managed to snag a resie at Vero Beach and tried that out...ended up adding 2 nights at Universal's Hard Rock hotel to do 2 days at US (to see the Harry Potter stuff)...so that added up too.

Edited to add: We like the DVC resorts for the villas with washer and dryer and separate master (kitchen doesn't really matter to us...all we use it for is to make coffee and store drinks and leftovers in the fridge...we do have some breakfast stuff as well). We can't really do a standard hotel room with the 5 of us anymore (now that our kids are all teens...DS doesn't really fit on the single airbed so well). And even with just 4 of us in a hotel room (which we do a lot since DDs play travel softball), it's a bit stressful (DDs like to stay awake later and mess on their Ipods and cellphones...I like to get up earlier which disturbs the sleeping beauties...all 4 of us sharing 1 bathroom).

Last edited by lovin'fl; 02-02-2013 at 09:12 AM.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: