Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #1
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Canadian traveling to Brisbane *We're back! - Update *

***We're back from our trip and had a wonderful time! Update in post #29***

****Our trip is finally here!!! I have a few last-minute questions in post #22****

DH has an opportunity to go to Bisbane for a conference next Sept, and I'm seriously considering going with him. This will be the FIRST time I'm away from my kids but it looks like I've found myself some childcare - so I am now busy planning.

I've never thought a trip to Australia would ever happen, so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed... Please help me with an itinerary of what to do!!! I've done some research on Trip Advisor, have read some books from the Library and thumbed through some at a bookstore, but nothing is quite like asking folks who live there.

Here is what I know:

1. The trip will be at the end of September
2. We'll be staying downtown Brisbane - probably at the Hilton
3. We will have about 7 days there - not including travel days (although DH has to work some of that time)

What I really want to know:

1. What are some must-see or must-do things while we're in the city
2. What would give us a taste of Australian culture and nature in the short time we're there
3. We will obviously spend some time in the city, but would like to take a trip to the coast for a couple of days, if you could suggest tours, hotels or resorts etc..
4. Fabulous places to eat around the downtown area - or anywhere really
5. Books or Websites that could help me out, and you consider useful

A little bit about me:

1. I'm fine to walk or hike
2. We might rent a car, but I have no experience on the "other" side of the road, and am feeling a bit nervous about that
3. At Disney World, we are the type of family who stay at the Value resorts. Although I don't consider myself cheap - I would say that I like good value and getting a good deal. We are also the "commando" type touring family - we get up early for rope-drop and do as much as we can each day.
4. I live in Northern Ontario, Canada - so this will be a long long long long flight - but a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!

Thank you so much for your help! I don't know a soul who has ever visited Brisbane, and you can only get so much info from the web and books -- I truly appreciate all the suggestions you can give me

Last edited by PinkMagnolia; 09-30-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Updating
PinkMagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

Hello and welcome

What a wonderful opportunity. September weather wise is a great time to visit Brisbane. School holidays start here on the 20th of September for two weeks. Whilst there will be a few more people around it will also add to the number of activities happening. The 28 th of Sept is our AustralianRules Grand Final Day so on Saturday afternoon find a pub and TV and watch along. Queen slanders aren't quite as into it as those from the southern states.

Southbank is a wonderful place to dine, there is also. Manmade beach there right on the river.
Visit the Queensland Museum
Take a ride on the River Cats (ferries) along the Brisbane River
climb the Storey Bridge
Walk through the Botanical Gardens

The Gold Coast is an hour south driving. There is a train and bus system also, or our greyhound buses will get you there in an hour to Surfers Paradise. It is famous for beaches and theme parks. The theme parks just do not compare to Disney. There is Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary here which is a great place to see wildlife of theAustralian variety.

Australia Zoo can become as a day trip from Brisbane and is an hour north. This is the park attached to Steve Irwin. We revisited last year with a exchange student we were hosting and it is a great way to see Australian animals. It is on theSunshine Coast. It is a little more relaxed up there with markets in the hinterland. Noose or Caloundra make a good base.

To Get to the coasts it is mainly highway driving. You can get great deals on accomm in these places even during holidays especially if you are staying three nights. There are lots of apartments. Diamond Cove on the Gold Coast is an example. It is close to the big shopping centre and Broadbeach.

I'll think of more and there are quite a few of us from near Brisbane and in Brisbane. You will have a locals guide in no time.

Mia
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Mia.

DH and I spent the evening on Youtube visiting a lot of the places you've suggested, and we are just so excited!!!!

I will pick up a guidebook at the bookstore tomorrow and start seriously reading and planning this trip.

A couple of questions: Seeing as we don't have a whole lot of time, and it will just be the 2 of us, which coast would you recommend? Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast? We will actually be at WDW in August, so the Amusement Parks aren't of particular interest to us -- Ocean Beaches and the Australia Zoo sound fabulous (especially as I'm looking out my window at a snowstorm!) - And you mentioned Sunshine is a bit more laid back (sounds like us!)

Another thing: Is transit/taxi pretty easy and safe in the city? Like I mentioned, I have no experience driving on the other side of the road, and it makes me a bit nervous thinking about doing it by myself.

Thanks again... truly appreciate the help!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great trip planned!

I second Mia's suggestions. As a tourist to Queensland, I like Southbank and the Sunshine Coast. Depending on how much time you have, if you head to the Gold Coast, you might want to consider going a little further south into the top part of NSW. There are some beautiful spots there.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
The 28 th of Sept is our AustralianRules Grand Final Day so on Saturday afternoon find a pub and TV and watch along. Queen slanders aren't quite as into it as those from the southern states.
Speak for yourself!!

Some of us in the southern states don't Queen slander half as much as you think!!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkMagnolia View Post
A couple of questions: Seeing as we don't have a whole lot of time, and it will just be the 2 of us, which coast would you recommend? Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast? We will actually be at WDW in August, so the Amusement Parks aren't of particular interest to us -- Ocean Beaches and the Australia Zoo sound fabulous (especially as I'm looking out my window at a snowstorm!) - And you mentioned Sunshine is a bit more laid back (sounds like us!)
I would definitely recommend the Sunshine Coast. The Gold Coast is fun as a kid, but as an adult I found I didn't enjoy it as much. The Gold Coast has a lot of attractions that you can find anywhere, like the theme parks, shopping, and things like Ripley's Believe It Or Not. You'll probably get more of an idea of Australian scenery, animals and culture from the Sunshine Coast.

I've taken taxis and public transport in QLD and never had a problem with either. Taxis are generally very safe in Australia - it's a highly regulated industry. Public transport is usually ok during the day, and in the early evening I generally feel safe enough if I'm with DH - after about 10pm it can be a bit hit and miss and I'd probably get a taxi.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (Howard Johnson & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HK Disneyland Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) with HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #7
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Hello. I have been MIA with work deadlines so bit slow in adding my tuppence halfpenny as a Brisbanite.

One day in Brisbane I would wander over one of the bridges and through Southbank. Pop into one or two of the 3 museums -from left to right looking at them from the city side of the river-the Museum (small so can zero in on a few galleries), the Art Gallery (ditto-typical art gallery and as I'm not big on art can't tell you what the highlights are sorry but you may find the Asian section has a selection less common than in North America??) and GOMA (modern art which I'm not especially keen on either but I do really like the layout of this and the regular Art Gallery). All are free except for special exhibitions. The Museum was remade after the 2011 floods-I am not keen on what they have done as I find it seems less on display and more pokier galleries but others disagree. On Level 2 Discover Qld would be worth a look and the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander section on level 4. While you are here Collectomania will be showing which could be fun (free) and Treasures from the National Museum of Kabul opens on 3 Sept-this will be a ticketed event and if interested you would probably need to prebook tickets online from the museum website several weeks prior. I see from the website at the art gallery there is a special exhibition of contemporary Indigenous Art and an exhibition on British quilts from the London V&A while you are here.

There are a mix of places good and bad to eat-lots of places along Little Stanley St behind Southbank -they have some of the best. Also some new ones opened at the far eastern end of Southbank (near the Maritime Museum). You will find food expensive in Aus generally though. A lot of the highest rated on TripAdvisor are the really expensive riverfront ones too.

If you like gardens then Roma Street Gardens are very good and in spring have lovely flower displays, as well as a tropical forest area and lake. Very nicely set out with paths and I think nicer than the city Botanical Gardens. The older Botanical Gardens are down by the river and have more open expanses of grass popular with families but do have a nice walk along the river looking across to the Kangaroo Point Cliffs. Also a boardwalk through the mangroves if you have never seen them (unless it got washed away-sorry not sure about that).

A trip on the river on the CityCat is another must-do for a couple of hours-either upstream to Hamilton Wharf or downstream to the UQ (where I work) or both. Catch it from the end of Queen St or Southbank.

For getting around Brissie there is now a free ferry service-the CityHoppers stops at New Farm, South Bank, North Quay, South Brisbane, Kangaroo Point, and the Brisbane CBD, seven days a week from 6am to midnight, timetabled every half an hour. Only introduced mid 2012 so guess in a trial period currently. There is also the red bus service (many people don't know about this one) operates for free, running in a continuous loop around the CBD with distinctive red bus stops at the City Botanic Gardens, Queen Street Mall, King George Square, Central Station, Riverside and the QUT precinct. Mon-Fri 7am-6pm Every 10mins. Also a free Spring Hill loop (though unless staying here not sure why a tourist would use this one). All of Brisbane transit is linked with Translink and uses a load and go GoCard system which a tourist can also buy and put money on. They have also introduced a new SEEQ card which seems dear but has airport link train on it and discounts to tourist attractions. See translink web site for details.

For a couple of days away I second the Sunshine Coast and include the hinterland. When we have overseas visitors a typical day trip includes heading up to Maleny and Mary Cairncross Park for picnic morning tea with views of the Glasshouse Mountains (volcanic plugs) and a nice short circular rainforest walk where you may see paddymelons (small wallabies) and classic curtain fig trees (where the host tree has been killed and rotted away leaving a large buttressed root tree which is hollow inside through which you can see the sky). Then stop at various lookouts along the ridge en route to Montville-a typical touristy village with a ton of craft shops and cafes and on clear days glorious views of the coast- it is overly touristy though (Maleny itself is a quieter rural village) but still fun for lunch. Sometimes also include a detour and short walk to Kondalilla waterfall. Then in the afternoon down to the coast at Mooloolaba Spit (nice sheltered beach and trees for shade and busy central strip with lots of sidewalk cafes) or Caloundra (rock pools, beaches, cafes) for a walk on the beach and fish and chips as the sun sets. Another day Steve Irwin's Zoo is good both for Aussie animals and others (at Glasshouse so an overnight in either the rural area or by the beach on this southern part of the coast is ideal). Skier Pete on these boards stayed at a nice place earlier this year in a rural area if you didn't want beachside.
OR you still visit the hinterland on the way up or back but base yourself further north at Noosa. Nice beaches, nice small National Park with koalas in the trees if you look carefully and are lucky (we normally spot one), CRAZY with tourists weekends and school holidays, lots of expensive boutiques and good places to eat.

Another place lots of visitors (and locals) like is North Stradbroke Island but you need a car over there. Its about a 40 min ferry ride across. Very pretty with lovely beaches and freshwater lakes or you can just do a day tour to this island or Tangalooma Island (the next island down which has a resort and a few holiday houses but is less developed) - the latter includes sand boarding down huge sand dunes and may include (wild) dolphin feeding. You will see lots of tour operators advertising-can't tell you which one runs the best sorry but could ask around for you if you are interested. Sept is also the end of whale watching season-another option for a day on the bay and amazing if you have never done it.

If you went south to the Gold Coast either quick stop at Surfers to say you've seen it, then Burleigh has a nice beach, nice headland walk, Currumbin Sanctuary is good for wildlife and you can't beat the Currumbin Beach Vikings Surf Club for a meal - based on a wedge of rock jutting out on the beach. A second day would be a hinterland drive either up to Tamborine Mountain (bushwalks, waterfalls, craft shops and cute cafes and views Gold Coast) or further to O'Reillys (tree top walk in the rainforest) and/ or Natural Arch (water pours through hole in cavern)-again tour operators do these too-google all of this for details!

Back in Brisbane the craft markets at Southbank on a Frid evening and Sat and Sundays are good. Watch out if Riverfire is on when you are here-this is Brissie's biggest fireworks extravaganza and the city gets packed with 1000's of people along the riverbanks to watch. Normally very good with great atmosphere but be prepared for crowds, prebook anywhere to eat and the markets are cancelled that weekend.

Chinatown in the Valley is nothing compared to those in other cities but one or two good eating spots and James St precinct is renown for up and coming designers.

Will give some thought to where you are staying and better places to eat in town in due course!!

A good website for info on Brissie I only recently discovered is Must Do Brisbane.com. http://www.mustdobrisbane.com/

Time for bed. Hope this helps. Happy planning!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I'm not a local, but I have visited that area of Queensland about 4 times now because my family and I love how much there is to do there.
I agree that Australia zoo is fabulous and worthy of a visit.

However, probably my favourite thing we've done so far has been a visit to The Bearded Dragon Tavern on a Sunday. It's located in Mt Tambourine (roughly equal distance from Brisbane and the Gold Coast), and on a fine Sunday, it has the most fabulous atmosphere. The tables were all set up outside and there was a great live band playing. The food was delicious (particularly my DH's Kangaroo burger), and there was plenty of entertainment set up for kids. Best of all though was the live reptile show followed by Cane Toad Racing. There was no charge attached to watch either, but almost all money spent on getting pics with reptiles or 'buying' a toad, went to a worthy charity (frefighters).
I emailed the Tavern before leaving NZ and reserved a table. So pleased I did as the place was packed with locals and tourists alike.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

As only ever having been a visitor to Brissie I will let others post more detail.

I did visit a wonderful botantical garden that was a bit out of the city and up on a hill - with a cafe that had wonderful views over the city - can anyone name were i went?

I am also a vote for the Sunshine Coast - Noosa is the centre of that universe - great restaurants and shopping, flash accommodation right on the beach. they have lots of tourist activities - like a boat tour up the river. But the beach is not a surf beach. When I want surf i go one beach south from Noosa - to Sunshine Beach - which is much less developed / suburban, nothing built on the sand - just grass - and has a couple of good restaurants and smaller but still nice shopping. You can walk through the bush land reserve that separates Sunshine from Noosa - which is a lovely walk on the headland.
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
mindy32
Mouseketeer

What an exciting trip for you!

I agree with everyone's elses recommendations. I would chose the Sunshine Coast for sure over the Gold Coast. I liked Noosa, very pretty.

If you end up hiring a car I think the drive up Mt Coot-tha is worth it, has a look out and cafe and restaurant and pretty views.

I also love Southbank, nice little spot to relax and eat.
mindy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

i second the recommendation for southbank & roma street parklands, day trip to maleny and/or noosa.

you will need a car. public transport and cabs are fine to get in/around the greater cbd area, but once you go any further out than approx 20 mins, the cab fares start getting ridiculous and public transport is a bit of a pain.

i would recommend that if you are uncomfortable driving on the other side of the road that you hire a car & driver or book a tour to your destination.

the free loop bus is a great way to see the brisbane cbd. the brisbane hilton is lovely and there are some nice on-site restaurants. the pig & whistle is a nice little outdoor cafe in the queen street mall (accessible from the brisbane hilton) which serves lovely fresh food and great drinks. i used to work at the brisbane hilton and can definitely recommend their onsite restaurant and their buffet breakfast

at southbank there are a few really lovely places to eat along grey street and within the southbank parklands. i recommend doing some research about southbank parklands (there is usually seasonal outdoor entertainment/performances etc) and in september, the weather will be lovely if you are looking for a nice, relaxing stroll in the parklands after visiting the museums and art galleries etc. most of the museums are free (some have a donation box at the front door) and can provide an interesting perspective on australian history etc.

also, when shopping etc -- the price you see on the label is the price you pay at the register. goods and services tax is already included in the advertised price & there is no tipping.

hope you love your stay here brisbane is a lovely city and it can be quite safe to just wander around, but as with all cities, i would recommend sticking to the well lit areas after dark and just being aware of your surroundings
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
PinkMagnolia
Mouseketeer

We booked our tickets today!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

SOOOooooo super excited!!!!! Although I'm not excited about the 24 hour flight (shortest flight time we could get) -- But I won't have children with me, so who cares!!!

Thank you SO much for the fabulous replies!!! OMG, you guys are absolutely amazing! Now that I have our dates firmed up, I will start combing through your replies and doing some research.

At this point, our plan is to go to the Sunshine Coast directly from the airport, and spend 4 nights there (although we might have to have a down-day to recover from the flight) We are going to rent a car for this part , and I'll choose some activities from these wonderful suggestions. Really interested in the hikes, beaches, the Zoo.

We will then return to Brisbane (we just booked at the Hilton) and will be there for another 4 nights -- We will bring the car back, and use one of the City Tour buses and taxis in the city. DH will have to go to the conference, but there is a lot of activities like the gardens and museums that I can do myself.

I'm about to order some maps and books now from Amazon.... I have millions of questions, but I'll read through some of this stuff first.

Thanks so much again... I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight, I'm just so excited
Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
ame
Addicted to travel

that is so exciting for you, booking the plane tickets makes it so real!!

Sounds like you've received some great suggestions and have a wonderful itinerary planned.

The first time I drove on the *wrong* side of the road was after a 14hr flight, 8hr layover then 2hr flight. I kept saying to myself "right is right" everytime I went around a corner. I did hit the kerb that evening when I pulled the car over as I was super tired and forgot the side of the car ont he right wasn't where I was sitting! The next morning after 1 12 hr sleep I was fine, but did wonder why cars were getting annoyed with me when I was driving like a grandma in the left lane on the expressway So remember the fast lane on the freeway is the opposite too!!

Brisbane is a beautiful city and will have perfect weather in September. Have fun!
ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

How exciting! Sounds like a great plan

With the driving, we had two major observations. The first is that it's more like when you were learning to drive, and have to keep remembering to check your blind spot, stay between the lines etc. Basically all that stuff that has become instinctive when you're driving you'll have to actually concentrate on. We both usually drive manuals, but were *SO* glad to have hired an automatic so there was one less thing to worry about. And the second is, because of all that concentrating, it was exhausting! Usually we can both drive for a few hours at a time on a road trip, but we found we had to swap drivers very regularly! Definitely worth using a GPS too to find your way around, especially if you won't have a chance to get your bearings first.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (Howard Johnson & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HK Disneyland Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) with HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Jade+3
DIS Veteran

Keep an eye on your speed when driving from the Airport to the Sunshine Coast. There are fixed speed cameras on that route (which are signed), and often speed camera vans on the side of the road (these are unmarked).

The Sunshine Coast is huge. Once you have decided on your activities let us know so we can help you pick an area to stay in.
Carnival Imagination - September 2011
Freedom of the Seas - September 2013
Jade+3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: